Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:19 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Finally picked up my first Marvel Legends 9 figure tonight i
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 10:19 pm 
ABS

...War Machine and I'm MOST pleased with him. Rhodey was the figure I wanted most from this series, aside from Galactus, and today was the first time I saw him. To date, I've passed on several Bulleyes and Nightcrawlers and a First Appearance Hulk I should have picked up. In fact, had the KB Toy Works I was in had FA Hulk, I would have bought the entire Galactus series then and there and been done with it. As it was, I couldn't bring myself to buy six of the seven, when I'd only purchase three of them (Nightcrawler, Professor X and Dr. Strange) for their Galactuparts. I've tried very hard to resist buying the set just for the big guy.

Then I opened up War Machine and handled The Right Leg of Galactus.

Why has no one paid glory to ToyBiz in the highest for the click-stop joints on Galactus, to say nothing of the ever-improving addition of the same to the Legends style figures? I don't know about anyone else, but I found clicking Galactus's leg into posed place scarily satisfying. When we go out tomorrow, it's doubtful I'll rest until I find the balance of ML9. I want a whole body of Galactuclicky goodness.

Back to War Machine, he is tricked OUT, yo. The blast effects all work surprisingly well, though I like the way the repulsor blasts look better coming from his boot jets. Speaking of his boots, great work by TB on the techy details of their soles. The plug-in launching missles look great, I think, and lend themselves to some dramatic posing. Love the wrist cannons, too.

As for the mask, yeah, it's a bit of a wraparound, but mine fits perfectly. You just have to make sure left side (his left) is tucked in past the laser sight on his helmet.

Also, I've thought it extremely cool from the start ToyBiz elected to go with James Rhodes inside the armor, rather than Tony Stark. Ironically, or perhaps dumbly, War Machine only appears on the last page of the included comic, and it's Stark in the armor.

War Machine? Yes please. The hunt for Galactus begins tomorrow.

They sucked me in again.

-Jason

Last edited by JJJason on Sat May 07, 2005 1:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 12:34 am 
shirtless hugger

You know, you might end up pleasantly surprised. I thought the character choice for 9 was pretty bleh, was only interested in Dr Strange, War Machine, and Deathlok. But even they are pretty much B and C level characters.

To my surprise however my favorite figures in the wave(aside from Galactus) are Professor X and Bullseye. They're just so well made I can't stop playing with them! I'm going to use my Prof X for a custom since I don't need the character, but still, he's an excellent toy. And Bullseye...the pictures don't do him justice. There's just so much personality packed into every inch of him.

The only loser in the wave is Deathlok, I'm afraid. I like the character a lot but he stands out as being poorer quality than the rest(not terrible, though, he'd be like a normal quality for anything pre 7). Nightcrawler is a decent rendition of a character i don't like, but a little bland imo. Grey Hulk aside from the face is excellent, and Dr Strange is a perfect rendition of one of my favorite characters.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 1:47 am 
ABS

I've actually wanted Bullseye from the start, and was even in line at TRU with one of the first ones a saw a couple weeks ago before I noticed some significant paint flaws and put him back. All the ones I've seen since have had better paint, but I still haven't picked him up. Not sure why, at this point.

Speaking of paint, HOW much better is War Machine's paint job over Silver Centurian Iron Man's? I was afraid Rhodey would suffer the same sloppy fate, but no such hard luck. War Machine's ops are great.

I really think ToyBiz should be commended in the highest terms possible for the improvements they've made to the Marvel Legends line. We were buying them as it was, but TB improved the paint jobs overall and added the clicky articulation just where the figures needed it, which I consider a godsend and a direct result of collector feedback to people like Jesse. I look at a figure like Hulk Buster Iron Man, which could have had major standing issues with weak knee and/or ankle joints, and rest comfortably in my geek haven knowing ToyBiz will make him all clicky for me.

Galactus is another thing; they could have halfassed rotocast it and we would have said, "Well, at least we got a Legends Galactus." But, look what TB DID with the thing.

I can't wait to assemble mine. It's going to be GLORious.

-Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 10:13 am 
Dog Squeezer

Yeah,

On the whole ML 9 was a really satisfying set.

My only complaints are minor:

War Machines hands can't be posed with the repulsors facing fully forward (as you say, they look better on his feet!)

Deathlok's gun peg is placed totally wrong so that he really can't hold the gun in any useful pose.

Not big gripes, and when you consider them the ONLY real problems I've had, it's a big step up for TB. Bravo!

Galactus is amazing. The paint op are crystal clear and the joints are so solid!

Can't wait for that Sentinel wave!

SpyMagician

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 2:58 pm 
ABS

SpyMagician wrote:
War Machines hands can't be posed with the repulsors facing fully forward (as you say, they look better on his feet!)

SpyMagician

War Machine can be posed with his repulsors blasting straight out, but it has to be at about a 45 degree angle from straight ahead. I have him posed on the desk right now with his right hand semi-straight out at that angle and his left arm crooked up at the elbow with the hand twisted to match the angle of the right arm. Basically, he's looking, and firing, off to his right. Have the missles firing for added coolness. :wink:

A lot of tedious description, I know, and it's not the ultra cool palms-outsrtetched-straight-ahead-about-to-fry-yo'-ass pose you can get with ML 1 Iron Man, but still pretty cool.

As for Deathlok's gun, I shall soon see; I bought the rest of the set today. :D

-Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 4:57 pm 
Tis' but a pup

Deathlok would've been so much better if they'd stuck with the prototype pictured on the cardback... American flag over his right pec, no stoopid left nipple umbilical to his gun. I've got no use for the figure as-is... I'll probably end up throwing him on eBay with Bullseye and Grey Hulk in a loose lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 07, 2005 9:54 pm 
active in the community

Welcome to the obsession. I have the variants of ML9 accounted for, but am still waiting on my case from stupid Diamond thru my comic shop to get the rest. Figures that the series that I start preordering is the easiest to find at retail thus far. Back to the thrill of the hunt with ML10!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:49 am 
shirtless hugger

This wave was a total disappointment to me. If it weren't for Galactus, I wouldn't have bought most of them. Sigh... :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:03 pm 
ABS

Well, I've opened the balance of the wave and assembled Galactus, who is indeed glorious. Since Marvel Legends figures tend to be reviewed out the whahzoo on message boards, I'll just offer these capsules...

-First Appearance Hulk is a great figure, though I tend to favor all the Legends-style Hulks. I love the big, square Kirby head. I don't mind the green wash as some have, I think it looks fine. I think it's extremely cool we have so many canon permeutations of The Hulk (FA, Joe Fixit, Smart, War) to display.

-Bullseye is good, but not great. Mine needed the freezer trick to free his swivel biceps and the fingers on his right hand don't quite stay in their moorings. I would take this opportunity to once again chastise ToyBiz against the needless use of jointed fingers, but I'm too big a person for that. :wink: I think the head is a bit big, but it's nowhere near as large as some made it out to be. I would have appreciated a weapon of some kind too, since that's what the character is all about.

-I like Professor X a lot. I'm not an X-fan at all outside the movies, but I've always liked Charles in that the most unassuming, physically debilitated person is also the most powerful mutant on the planet. Awesome headsculpt, too.

-I don't think Deathlok is as bad as others have made him out to be, but he's not great. The tubing is ill-conceived and he just looks a little too stylized overall for me. The peg on his hand is useful, but it only allows him to point his gun with a bent elbow.

-Nightcrawler is Nightcrawler. He seems like a great figure of the character, but he's not a character I care at all about. Which brings me to...

-Dr Strange, which I think is a pretty good figure, but nothing to get all excited about, which I've noticed many doing. I think it's a very lackluster figure below the waist and I could have used a wire in the hem of his cape to make it poseable. As things are, you can't really do much with his arms with the cape on. Still, Dr. Strange fans seem to love the figure, so I'm very happy for them. I suspect they feel about this figure the way I do about Marvel Legends Nick Fury; they love the character so much, they overlook the figure's flaws.

So, ranking Marvel Legends 9 from favorite to least favorite, I'd go...

Galactus
War Machine
First Appearance Hulk
Bullseye
Professor X
Deathlok
Dr. Strange
Nightcrawler

-Jason

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 12:35 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Ml 9 is without a doubt my favorite series in the entire ML line. In my opinion it has the best figure selection. FA Hulk was the only one I wasn't excited about, and he turned out to be my second favorite in the set.
Dr. Strange, being one of my favorite characters, is perfect. The only thing I would change is his hand position, but that is a very small gripe.
Warmachine is a perfect representation of another one of my favorite characters, Prof. X is great except for his chair, which kind of sucks, I love Bullseye's articulation, and Knight Crawler is great. Deathlok is just ok, but I'm not a huge fan of the character so I wasn't too dissapointed.
And of course Galactus is my new favorite toy ever.