Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: favorite childhood boardgames
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:42 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

No not video games - board games, remember those? I'm currently in the process of trying to reacquire some of the great ones I had when I was younger, and it got me wondering if anyone else played the same funky old games I did...

Here's a few of my favorites:

Carrier Strike

My brothers and I would play this WWII game all the time. It had cool miniature aircraft carriers and airplanes. I found this at my parent’s house a few years back and brought it home, and made my family play it a few times. My kids are bored with it, but I still love it.

Turn the Terrible Tank

This game had a long platform with gun stations on each side, pointing at each other. In the middle of the platform was a battery-operated tank that would rumble towards one gun station. You had to shoot the tank with BBs, and it would turn around and head toward your opponent’s side until he shot it and it turned back toward you. So you’d go back and forth until you drove the tank into your opponent, or you ran out of BBs and were toast. I think I used the tank in battle with my Joes, and it’s long gone now.

Superman Match II

I love this game. I think I got it at a garage sale for $1, and somehow I managed to keep all the pieces intact. It’s a basic match game, but it had all the Silver/Bronze Age DC characters on the tiles, so I was hooked. Great game. I also rediscovered this one at my parent’s house a few years ago, and my son loves to play this one all the time.

Dogfight

This one is my hands-down favorite. My family would play this game together in our summer cabin in Missouri, so it holds a great deal of sentimental value. And it’s just a great game. I’ve tried to take it from the cabin, but my folks insist on keeping it there. Bah!

What about you guys?

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Last edited by The Superfly on Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 3:49 pm 
Daniel Pickett

I used to love DARK TOWER! I never had it but buddy did. I can't believe they never updated it or rereleased it.

A working, complete copy is REALLY expensive.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:51 am 
Tis' but a pup

Julius knows what time it is. I love Dark Tower! As a matter of fact, I still have my childhood set. The "hum" of those spinning lit up Tower windows is forever ingrained in my head.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:37 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

My folks visted last weekend, and brought a few more with them...

the old Mousetrap

Chopper Strike

Flinch

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:29 am 
3 3/4"

Fireball Island!

http://www.fireballisland.com/

I was an only child so I can't say I played it a ton but I remember all the cool pieces and craziness. It was practically a playset. For a gaudy theme board game, it wasn't bad but I remember it left me a bit unfulfilled at the end. It was pretty simple. The playset/board was the big draw.

Monopoly and Scrabble were my actual favorite board games. Still love 'em!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 12:53 pm 
active in the community

How about "Escape from the Death Star" by Kenner. Our family used to play with that game for years.

But "Dark Tower"...man I remember seeing the commercials for it and wanting that game so bad. Unfortunately, I never did play it. I never got one nor had any friends that had one. I had forgotten all about it till you mentioned it here. Thanks for the trip down memory lane!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 1:03 pm 
Daniel Pickett

Oh yeah. I had that one too!

Welcome to AFI Kenner Kid!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 3:54 pm 
active in the community

JuliusMarx wrote:
Oh yeah. I had that one too!

Welcome to AFI Kenner Kid!

Thanks, y'all have a great board here. I look forward to posting in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 7:24 pm 
Knows his stuff

I remember that Mousetrap game, lots of fun.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 7:47 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

Cool pics!

I was never a huge board game guy, but my female cousin would play stuff like Chutes N' Ladders or Candyland and I'd be forced to join in since it was just the two of us. I remember my dad loved playing Connect Four instead of cards. I was into that for a while 'cause it didn't look like your typical board game.

Dark Tower looked very cool in those ads, though. I was starting to collect fantasy/sword & sorcery lines such as MOTU and LJN's Advanced Dungeons & Dragons at the time, so Dark Tower looked mighty interesting.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2009 8:06 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

I remember having one of those really bottom of the line games based on the Grape Ape, loved that game but I don't remember a thing about it otherwise.

Mousetrap and Clue were favorites that I never owned (still kicking myself for not getting the last edition of Clue when Walmart had them for $10 over the holidays, back up to $15 now). Always enjoyed Life, Monopoly and Operation. Battleship was great, too. Then there was Othello and Backgammon... I remember buying that GI Joe board game that could use the figures for game pieces just for the stands that were in the box but that game was a lot of fun, too (and I was in college when I got that one!). I guess I liked board games just because it was so rare that I ever had anyone around to play 'em with...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:11 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

i had this game when i was a kid, and i never knew the actual name of it.
maybe someone here remembers it...
Y'see...there was a cardboard monkey, and you fed it orange marbles...*think this game would fly nowadays?)
and the marbles rolled down into one of his hands, and part of the game was guessing what hand it was in...
that's all i remember about it...that and i liked it.
any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 12:39 pm 
Collector Inspector

Use to love these:

[img][img]http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee320/COOKIE_AUSTIN/1961-box-a.jpg[/img][/img]

[img][img]http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee320/COOKIE_AUSTIN/pic62237_t.jpg[/img][/img]

My friends and I way back in 85' would play both games at once. When ever someone went to conquer a country in Risk, we had to battle it out in a game of Stratego. These games would last for weeks. Oh and yes that is the exact same Stratego game I had. My Mother was a Garage sale nut!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2009 4:51 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Where is the love for Operation? I loved that game as kid. Gave me some great "skills" for my adult life.. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:23 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

My favorites revolved around the large scale battles.

TOrpedo Run was great (even though the ships didnt always pop off like they were supposed to.

Also used to create massive scale games with the crossbows and catapults game system. Whats best was my dad did fixed them up with heavy duty rubber bands- and you could get the catapults to shoot those caroms well over 15 feet.... My brother and I use to set up large scale games in an unfinished room-- the game surface used to be well over 25 feet across