Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:46 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: New to the Hobby, and Im taking a chance
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 7:14 am 
ABS

Hello.

Just joined. I saw a friend finally finish his Secret Wars collection, and it got me antsy to try and collect as well. Not wanting to be a copycat, instead of Secret Wars, Im trying to do Superpowers instead.

My first purchase is Samurai. Scarily enough, it is being sent from Hong Kong, so Im worried about a bootleg. but it all seems legit, what do you think?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0299981979

the reasons I think Im ok are:

1. he has 100% feedback. People have bought other Superpowers from him, and been happy with them.

2. He has a Robin and Mr Freeze up for sale. Bot hwith yellow bubbles. if he was bootlegging, I would think he would have made those ones with clear bubbles.

3. It was all the Kenner copyright logos and stuff on the back of the card.

If you guys think its bootleg, what exactly should I be looking for?

thanks. Looking forward to this hunt. Hope to interact with alot of people here.

Cory

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:28 am 
Kool Moe Dee

I don't think Samurai is high on the to bootleg list, you should be fine. Not bad prices on this guy's stuff either.

VC9k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:33 am 
Daniel Pickett

Just so you know you are in for dropping a lot more $ for Super Powers than your buddy was for Secret Wars.

It just so happens we have the difinative resource on Super Powers in the form of Jason's Suoper Powers archive. Lots of good reading here:

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/archives/sp/

Welcome to AFI!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:51 am 
ABS

yea, I kinda knew the $$$ would be a pain. Just the number of different figures alone, will be a pain. But Im not sure about getting the whole lineup. I never EVER liked any New Gods. but with that said, Im one of those dolts who have to get the whole lineup, no matter what. Plus with all the knockoffs, Im thinking carded will cover my bases more than loose figure chasing will.

thanks for the link. Ive spent probably 4 hours a day the last 5 days reading wikipedia and whatever I can find on google about these. Daughters been home sick, so gives me alot of reading time.

cory

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:11 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Hey Cory, if card backs aren't an issue for you, then the Canadian carded figures will be cheaper than their American counterparts.

As Dan said, Jason's site is a fantastic resource on the history of the line. The only other place that has any "meat and potatoes" is Mike Mensinger's site, www.kennersuperpowers.com. Mike is a great guy who has a wealth of info on the line, and he has the largest collection of SP in the world.

Also, if you're looking for carded figures, I have about 30 that I'm looking to sell. Let me know what characters you're interested in.

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:40 am 
ABS

Thanks, Marillion. I'll PM you here in a minute.

Yea, the cards themselves, Im not worried about tri-ling packaging. and I dont even mind the condition of the card. A scrape or nick here or there, or a soft curl. As long as it hasnt been bent in two with a crease from side to side.

I noticed your quite the collector on these. do you see anything from the ebay picture that would lead you to beleive this is a bootleg?

thanks, PM incoming

Cory

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 10:42 am 
ABS

BTW,

I found this site thru google, as well as the kennersuperpowers site. both sites are AWESOME!!!

How the heck did we survive without the internet?

any sites that allow trading? I have a few Secret Wars that I wouldnt mind ditching towards Superpowers.

thanks again for the help, and the warm welcome

Cory

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:09 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

CJF28 wrote:
I noticed your quite the collector on these. do you see anything from the ebay picture that would lead you to beleive this is a bootleg?

It's not a bootleg. If anything, they'd fake a US-carded one and be asking around $150 for it. Faking a figure for that cheap a price isn't worth the man-hours...as Jason, Dan, or any of the customizers on this board can tell you. Haven't seen many fakes/bootlegs for Super Powers simply because not as many people collect it as opposed to, say, Star Wars, which is where the profit from faking stuff lies.

Peace,

Chip