Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Landlord/Renting Trouble
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:50 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

Hey, this is kind of random, but I was hoping to get some opinions on the matter.

Recently I took over someone's lease on a place in Brooklyn. Basically, I gave the girl that was moving out the security deposit, and I would get back whatever she had put down to the landlord when I moved out, plus first month's rent.

As I had a month overlap between my old place and my new one, I kind of stayed at the new place intermittently to try it out, and it turns out it blows. It's essentially a dorm room, and having moved past that phase a long time ago, with no desire to return to it, I was pretty disappointed, but prepared to deal with it until I could find someone to move in for me.

However, this past weekend I walked into a shitload of people in the apartment, cocaine out and about, and it's just not something I'm going to be getting involved in. So after a back and forth with the shingyblingy roommate, I finally got a hold of the landlord who basically told me to go eff myself, and that it wasn't his problem there are illegal drugs in the apartment, and that I could leave if I wanted but wouldn't be getting my deposit back. He also said "if you go to the police, they will put you all in jail, not me", which I found pretty amusing.

Basically, I think I must have some rights considering this is an illegal situation, and I should be able to (legally) get my money back.

I'm just wondering if anyone here has had a similar situation, or at least knows something about landlord/tenant rights that I might not?

Sorry for rambling...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:46 pm 
Grickle Grass Grower

Found this for you:
http://www.expertlaw.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1513

Doesn't exactly cover your problem but there might be more helpful topics in that forum or maybe you could just present your case over there.

I am no expert but I think if you are not on the lease (you are subletting right?) then you might be effed in the a. Sorry man.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 2:48 pm 

The previous tenant was let out of their lease, and I took it over, which I guess pretty much is subletting now that I think about it. But thanks for the link, I will check it out!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2009 9:44 pm 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

There is no harm in calling the police and asking for their input, you can do it anonymously.
On another note, how long are you supposed to be tied into the lease? Worse comes to worse, contact the landlord and see what you have to do to get out of it, if that means sticking it out for another month or two, can you do that? Is it ok if you found someone else to take over your part of the lease? Like someone who would be more into that lifestyle? Maybe the roommates that you are not liking can find some coolness within them and help you find a replacement.
You do have rights, but it can be a huge hassle, sorry for ya bud. Check with the housing authority in your area, maybe they can assist in some fashion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:58 am 

Yeah, I've talked to the landlord, he basically tried to convince me that if I went to the police, I'd be arrested. Haha so clearly, he's a complete idiot. He's a guy that thinks he's not responsible for the issue, and tries to put one over on me. Basically it's come down to I can leave if I want, but he won't give me my deposit back.

The lease is also up in August, and I tried finding someone to no avail. Small claims court was suggested to me, so I might go that route, and in the meantime, just get my stuff out of there and deal.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 8:59 am 
The Last Word

Can you explain the roommate situation a little more? Is it actually someone with whom you share your apartment, or is there just a common area you share with another tenant? You know, because you said it was like a dorm room.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:01 am 

Well it's a 3 BR apartment, with myself and two roommates, with a living room, kitchen, bathroom that we share. When I say dorm room, I mean the maturity level and the people coming in/out all the time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:20 am 
The Last Word

Gotcha.

I don't remember if NY had a similar law on the books, but here (and in several other states), you'd already be technically guilty of maintaining a dwelling for the possession of drugs. Lame, I know, but if you called the police, and a hard-on showed up (you know the type), you could end up getting charged, too. That is, of course, if NYC has a similar law on the books, which I'd imagine they do (although perhaps worded differently). Don't make the mistake of dismissing your landlord's warning, because it's not as off-the-wall as it might sound. Plus, your landlord can't just throw your roommates out right away if they get arrested, so you'd have to deal with them once they posted bail. There's really not a lot of good that can come from that option.

Personally, it doesn't bother me if someone wants to do blow on their own time, but if the police were to show up for some other reason, you're definitely risking being hit with possession charges, too. A coke charge is no laughing matter.

Did you actually sign a lease when you moved into the place? Is there a legal contract between you and the landlord that's actually on paper?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:26 am 

Yeah, I signed, like a dope. I'm okay with people doing what they want, but this is absurd. The thing is I've only stayed the apartment a total of four nights, because I have my old place until March 1st. In fact, all I have there is a futon that I slept on. Is that still technically "living" there?

As far as evicted the roommates, I could care less. I'm not paying anymore rent, as in my arguments with the landlord, he told me I could leave if I wanted, the issue is solely with my security deposit, so as far as the roommates go, it's not really my concern, because I'm definitely not going back once the month is over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:41 am 
The Last Word

Is keeping the old place an option? Honestly, your best course of action might be to just let go of the deposit if your landlord is willing to let you out of the lease. If he has another place, you might be able to get him to transfer the deposit to a different apartment, but he could hold you accountable for more than the security deposit for leaving early.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:43 am 

Yeah, I'm moving to my cousin's basement. Not exactly living the life, but it's cheap! I guess I just got screwed by the "system". Again. But, at least my figures won't be destroyed by smokey grossness :D