Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 7:51 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: DCUC - The Iron Age 1990's Characters
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:09 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

The DCU of the 1990s…Xtreme. Grim 'n gritty. The Dark Age. The period of comics in the 90's, while reviled by many, gave us some great characters. And we need to see ‘em in DCUC!

Aquaman - the JLA ain't complete without this hook-armed crank.

Artemis - easy variant using the existing Artemis head and minor retooling.

Arsenal - it's either this or that purple costume, so hideous I won't even post a pic.

Asmodel - this would make an awesome C&C!

Aztek - he was woefully underused and looks very cool.

Batman Azrael - I'm sure we're getting this (these?) at some point.
Image Image

Black Canary - DCD made one, but not with the short hair.

Black Lightning - i like the collar.

Dr. Mid-Nite - barely making the cut (created in '99), this mainstay of the modern JSA has to be on the short-list.

Flash Wally West - we need this darker metallic costume with the white eyes.

Dark Flash Walter West - this would make a killer variant.

Flash John Fox - i'm guessing we won't ever see this one, but I want it badly.

Green Arrow Connor Hawke - another great character that DCD has neglected.

Green Lantern Kyle Rayner - no-brainer here.

Guy Gardner Warrior - which one sucks the least?? I dunno, but I would buy them all with no shame.

Hitman - just because.

Hourman Android - this would make a great-looking figure.

Huntress - I'm guessing we'll see the modern Jim Lee costume first, but I want this one as well.

Impulse - a must-have for the Young Justice team.

Monarch - Captain Atom, Hawk, Extant, what a mess. He'd still look cool.

Oracle - would this make a cool figure?

Parallax - a definite must for all the GL fans.

Plastic Man - gotta be on the Mattel short-list. Regular figure or C&C?

Prometheus - this one is on the top of my want list. The 4H would make this guy look awesome.

The Ray - need it!!

Resurrection Man - the reg version is just a dirty bum, the 1Million version would look cool.

Sentinel - of course, we'd better see the normal Alan Scott first, but I've always been partial to this costume.

The Shade - I have wanted a Starman-version of Shade for years, let's hope we get one.

Starman Jack Knight - PLEASE!!!

Starman Mikaal Tomas - he's blue. Blue is good.

Superboy - this one is sorely needed, both versions.
Image Image

Tempest - easy repaint with a new head.

Triumph - I might be the only guy that likes this character...

White Martians - imagine how the 4H version would look, maybe a C&C?

Wonder Girl - we need her for the Young Justice team.

Zauriel - one of the coolest Morrison creations, we need both versions.
Image Image

Justice Legion Alpha One Million

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Last edited by The Superfly on Thu May 07, 2009 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:15 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Awesome pics of Aztek and Oracle!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:24 pm 
MINT!

I woudn't buy any of these (pre-Crisis for me, please), but for those who want them I hope they get produced. The variations on the big guns seem like no-brainers to me, and I suspect many of the ones listed will be made at some point.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 3:10 pm 
Cold-cast

want them for DCUC :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:38 pm 
shirtless hugger

I want *all-of-those*. :shock: 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 4:50 pm 
active in the community

You know, everyone laments the 90s era of comics, but no decade that could give us Young Justice, Jack Knight, Connor Hawke and the Matthew Tyler Hourman can be totally bad. DC was really producing a lot of new characters, and it's a shame that they don't take those kinds of chances anymore.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:00 pm 
shirtless hugger

The 40somethings have the disposable income, so they get what they want from Hal on down.

I just hope that people from my generation of comic readers get into writing them soon and we can get some of those characters back in action. I'd love a Kyle book to go with my Hal book. Or even Connor to be the GA backup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:15 pm 
Former King of Posts

yeah, Fly and I were talking about this before, how the 90's characters needed better representation in Mattel's lines. Fly did a great job putting together the pictoral of so many of the characters from that era.

Teen Titans was going strong. The JLI morphed and faded to be replaced by the Morrison JLA. AzBats. Wally West. Kyle Rayner. Conner Hawk. Superboy. Impulse. Hourman Android. Guy Gardner Warrior as the Vuldarian half breed. Was LEGION active during this decade? I liked them too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:25 pm 
ABS

While most of these characters are just shameful, you do have a point and there are quite a few of these I want myself.

Jack Knight needs to be made, there is no question about that. His was the only series from that entire era that was worth a damn.

But I am such a sucker for new DC figs that I would probably buuy them all, I won't lie about that.

And really who DOESN'T want HItman, Arsenal and Zauriel figures

Monarch would make a great BAF

And though I can do without ANYTHING having to do with Emerald Toilet I would still buy a Kyle and Parralax figure

So I still saythe 90's should be forgotten for the most part, there were still some...interesting characters to come out of it, and it would be nice to see them in plastic.

Or at least in better renditions that those goofy (yet loveable) Total Justice figures..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 5:30 pm 
shirtless hugger

Darth_Ennis wrote:
While most of these characters are just shameful,

Shameful is throwing away half these characters to get the old ones back. :D :D :D :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:10 pm 

Darth_Ennis wrote:
While most of these characters are just shameful, you do have a point and there are quite a few of these I want myself.

Jack Knight needs to be made, there is no question about that. His was the only series from that entire era that was worth a damn.

Now, I agree that Starman kicked all kinds of ass, and might be the best series ever. But the "only good series"?

There were other runs that had some great, imaginative storytelling. Aztek was excellent, albeit short. I thought Hourman had some great ideas. JLA was consistently entertaining, as was Hitman. Young Justice and Stars & STRIPE came at the end of the 90s. Animal Man. Doom Patrol. And of course, Vertigo launched and gave us Sandman, Sandman Mystery Theater and Preacher. You're telling me that all of those were terrible?

Last edited by The Superfly on Thu May 07, 2009 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 6:23 pm 
active in the community

NoisyDvL5 wrote:
Darth_Ennis wrote:
While most of these characters are just shameful,

Shameful is throwing away half these characters to get the old ones back. :D :D :D :wink:

Agreed. Comics are being written by men old before their time, and I'm a bit sick of the entrenched conservatism masquerading as nostalgia that passes for superhero comics these days. I actually thought Marvel's Ultimate line was a pretty elegant solution before I, um, actually read the Ultimate books (seriously, Ultimates? Lousy book, I don't care what the fanboys say). I still think something like that could work for DC, though - one line could satisfy the old fanboys, and the other could appease people who want new ideas and change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:30 pm 
PVC

Ya know, I quit reading comics completely in the 90s, mainly because of how DC #()#%( everything up. However I would be inclined to purchase several of these. However, absolutely NO PARALLAX. Don't do it. Don't talk about it, it's bad enough it's still referenced in GL. I'd rather we all forget that completely stupid decision that along with GA getting offed, drove me out of comics.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:45 pm 
shirtless hugger

Dude, Parallax is why I read comics! I've loved GL ever since. I loved following Kyle, I loved Hal's story from ET, to Final Night, to his time as the Spectre, and back into being Green Lantern.

The only problem I have with the current GL stuff is that Kyle has been shaving and washing his hands, while Hal gets to do all the rainbow lantern stuff.

As for good books during the 90s era? All the ones that Superfly named, plus Chronos and Chase are like Aztek, short, but real gems. Peter David's run on Aquaman, The Paradise Lost Mini, Reign of the Supermen, Resurrection man (particularly issue 11, if you're going to try and knock that book), the No Man's Land crossover, the Walter West crossover, that decade had a wealth of good material.

Now since then with Didio? I feel like I'm pulling at straws to find stuff I l ike. The new Animal Man books looks promising. I loved Tales of the Unexpected (both Crispus Spectre and the Doc 13 backup), All-Star Superman. I'm sure there are others, but not quite the same impact as before. I'd say my favorite era lasted until about 02/03 and then the last five years have been a big turnoff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:53 pm 

Great calls on those books - Resurrection Man, Chase, Chronos, the entire run of Waid Flash...lots of good stuff there. And Parallax? Despite which side of the fence you were on back then, Johns has tied it all together nicely now, and Kyle brought a load of new fans to GL. I wish Kyle would go back to a regular book too.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 99 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next