Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:30 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:16 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

On this I agree CC. I appreciate McDuffie's attempt to diversify the JLA, although I can't stand the overall character choices. Quite honestly, I can think of several already existing ones that should have made the cut.

As far as Swamp Thing, I thought I read somewhere that he actually was able to be made. But don't quote me on that. And in all honesty, there are other characters I'd rather see made before him.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:41 am 
shirtless hugger

Those characters are what they are. Making them "go away" is akin to the attempt to remove Speedy Gonazalez from the Looney Tunes roster a few years back.

I have to ask how are the Super Friends negative stereotypes? There are a ton of vitrolic, hateful stereotypes of minorities out there, but which do the Super Friends embody? They're all heroes, they're all altruistic, they're all as positive a role model as anyway on that show could have been. Take Samurai as perhaps the best example of the three:

Samurai - He's Japanese and he gains super powers, he chooses a name from his cultural past that would embody positive virtues and sets out to be a superhero. He uses some Japanese phrases (that are at least a semblance of correct).

If that's offensive (and maybe it is, I'm not Japanese), then shouldn't characters like Vigilante (cowboy) also be considered offensive?

And where is that line drawn? If Samurai is offensive, what makes Dr. Light II, Tsunami, and Rising Sun not offensive? Or are they too?

Maybe I'm just a dumb comic reader, but sometimes it seems like the simple depiction of a minority character is offensive. Maybe I'm just not culturally sensitive enough. I love Speedy Gonazales after all. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:04 pm 
declined to be a vampire

As a society it's basically gone from one extreme to another. You had slavery, and it was abolished. But then you still had one faction of society thinking it was "better" than every other.

Speed through the 40's, 50's and 60's...where Racism was extreme.

Now you come to today...where there is all this "PC" and "Tolerance"...but it's so far gone the other way. The happy medium has never been met (and honestly, probably never will be)

It extends to everything from friendships, to jobs, to fictional ideals. Doesn't matter if you are White, Black, Indian, Japanese...something will always offend someone.

Does Apache Chief bother me? No. Do other racial intolerances bother me? No. Why? Because I believe there are so many other important things in life that I can do to help others, than to get hung up on ideals in society that are constantly changing. If someone wants to hate me because I'm white...more power to them.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:20 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Bunger43 wrote:
The happy medium has never been met (and honestly, probably never will be)

This is so true. Sometimes I think racism in the public will never truly go away because people always bring it up. Sometimes it is justified but sometimes it is just "playing the race card". It really is unfortunate that everyone can not just get along.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 12:50 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

NoisyDvL5 wrote:
. Maybe I'm just not culturally sensitive enough. I love Speedy Gonazales after all. :?

Liking Speedy Gonzales is still okay-- but admitting you like Slowpoke Rodriguez- would probably be like commitng PC suicide :wink:

Racial sterotypes are wrong- but eliminating them from a study of historical culture (or pretending they never existed) is unforgiveable- how are we supposed to learn from the past if it no longer exists-- try finding a copy of Coal Black and the Sebben Dwarves-- (it it an original WB cartoon)- yes it is derogatory and yes it plays on racial stereotypes (as do about 50% of the original WB cartoons)- its not a simple task.

But these superfriends figures arent even in the same galaxy as those sterotypes--

I am a fan of animation and action figures- and if they are going to finally get me characters that I loved as a child- Im happy they are going to do it-and personally I dont care who it offends-- When I was 5 I didn't think Apache Chief was a stereotype- I just thought he was a cool hero that had a cool magic word-

Im 1/8 American Indian, 1/8 Philipino, 1/4 English, 1/4 Scottish and 1/4 Italian. And nothing out there offends me--except how much power stupid people have.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 1:48 pm 
Prototype

j1h15233 wrote:
Bunger43 wrote:
The happy medium has never been met (and honestly, probably never will be)

This is so true. Sometimes I think racism in the public will never truly go away because people always bring it up. Sometimes it is justified but sometimes it is just "playing the race card". It really is unfortunate that everyone can not just get along.

So true. Race is WAY too big of an issue in this world.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 2:50 pm 
shirtless hugger

stewbacca wrote:
try finding a copy of Coal Black and the Sebben Dwarves-- (it it an original WB cartoon)- yes it is derogatory and yes it plays on racial stereotypes (as do about 50% of the original WB cartoons)- its not a simple task.

OMG, yes. I totally forgot about that cartoon. You just kind of watch the whole thing in a mixture of shock/disbelief.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:36 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OVO8l4_r0JQ&feature=related[/youtube]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 10:45 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

stewbacca wrote:
When I was 5 I didn't think Apache Chief was a stereotype- I just thought he was a cool hero that had a cool magic word-

I was 15 when the Super Friends first aired, and I thought it was a dumb cartoon then. It's 35 years later and nothing's changed.

Mike
(Sorry, Super Friends fans.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:00 pm 
shirtless hugger

SDcomics wrote:

You don't have to be sorry for expressing your opinion. :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:05 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

NoisyDvL5 wrote:
SDcomics wrote:

You don't have to be sorry for expressing your opinion. :P

Well, I don't wanna hurt anyone's feelings. I know how wrapped up we can all get in this stuff.

Mike
(At the end of the day, it's just comics, cartoons and toys. Sometimes it's best to just leave it at that.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:00 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 5:55 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

Personally as a Kryptonian I am horrified to see the way people stereotype all of us as being "super powered". I am not. Yet every time I meet someone new they expect me to bend a crowbar or melt things with my eyes.
:D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 6:21 am 
Mint on Card

superfriend wrote:
SDcomics wrote:
Apache Chief is a joke.
Mike
(A really bad joke.)

I really liked what Joe Kelly did a few years back in the previous JLA comic, roughly #65 thru #90, where he introduced Manitou Raven and made him a tribute character to Apache Chief. Manitou Raven was basically an American Indian from the ancient past who was a sorcerer. At one point he uses his sorcery to become a 50 foot giant, exclaiming "Inekchuk". Too bad he's currently either a spirit or dead in the DCU.

I liked Manitou Raven as well. I believe his wife took over the role after he died.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:16 am 
Former King of Posts

Manitou Dawn did 'take over' his 'role', but it seemed as if Manitou Raven was in some sort of spirit state from which he could return. Both have since simply vanished.