Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:24 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Is this the final nail in the coffin for JLU?
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:27 am 
ABS

I work midnights so I stopped by one of my local Targets on my way home from work. As I entered the toy aisle I was a little excited because there were employees stocking the the action figure area. My excitement soon disappeared when I looked at the JLU section and found all the single carded figures, including the Booster Wave, on CLEARANCE for $3.48 each.

Is this the end of JLU in my area? One Target already phased JLU out of its aisle and this was the one Target I could depend on finding new JLU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:38 am 
The Last Word

The JLU singles started transitioning to NCF status a couple of months ago. At that point, it was fairly certain that they would vanish during a summer reset (although they did survive through the Terminator/Star Trek reset and even the Transformers: ROTF reset). Whether or not they'll return with the fall reset (which is August in Target-speak), or perhaps a holiday reset later this year, is something we don't know yet.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:12 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Eh, I'm not hitting the panic button yet. Some stores have gotten lots of the new singles. But some of them are still choking to death on the Kilowog wave. And if it means I can get a bunch of Parasites for 3.50 I'm ALL for it.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:15 am 
ABS

with the exception of Parasite, this wave seems to have clogged the pegs at this particular Target.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:18 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

One thing is that the stores that are REALLY clogged with Kilowog will eventually clearance them further. And that body isn't bad as a custom base. PLUS it comes with a lantern. ;)

I won't be concerned until we hear something official. I'm more worried about the three packs. This line has had so many ups and downs that it just doesn't bug me too much when stuff like this happens.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:03 am 
Collector Inspector

I just love how long this line has been around and every few months there is someone worried the line is dead. Stuff like this has been going on almost since the beginning of the line. It's just normal behavior for this line. We still have a lot of figures yet to come out and from what I have read and just my personal feelings we will see these at retail or on Matty. So to all the Chicken Littles out there, the sky is not falling. Heck we still haven't even seen Firestorm yet or figured out how that new Martian Manhunter or Comic accurate Captain Atom will be coming out. Plus I bet we see some new figures at SDCC that we haven't seen yet on E-Bay. And Heck if I'm wrong the line has had a wonderful run. That just means I can finally start making customs of the figures that Mattel didn't get to.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 11:13 am 
Kool Moe Dee

I did a search for a subject a few days ago and I found a thread that was almost EXACTLY the same as this one from 2007.

The more things change the more they stay the same.

vc9k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:32 pm 
Aspires to be #1

Not worried at all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 2:40 pm 
Crime Against Nature

Saw them for $2.50 in Allen the other day. Had multiples of the last wave (Booster, Superwoman, etc.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:19 pm 
ABS

It's funny, but I've been in four different Targets over the past week and I've yet to see a Superwoman. I've seen multiples of the whole wave, but no Superwomans.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 4:42 pm 
Unbreakable

I think the final nail will probably be when Mattel says the line is over.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:58 pm 
4" scale

Mattel has already said they're showing JLU at SDCC. They wouldn't announce that if their retail partner hasn't agreed to carrying the line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:14 pm 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

Plymouth Meeting, PA Target finally put JLU singles on clearance today for 30% off. I say finally because these have been NCF for a long time and we had discussed that this was coming since then. Also Brave and the Bold Batman vs. Alien, Star Wars Ultimate Lightsaber and Star Wars Evolutions 3-packs. The G.I. Joe stuff went to 50% off.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:50 pm 
Hat Pooper

yeah i also seemed to miss Superwoman everytime, never found her in stores but got her off here from CrutchMan! thanks a lot

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:14 pm 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

I saw Superwoman in stores once... I got this single wave off of ebay. To me it's worth the peace of mind to just get them for an extra 10 bucks.

My concern for this line in the near future is mostly the Waller/Blackhawk wave... I actually think the Blackhawk pack MIGHT sell ok because he comes with Superman and Wonder Woman, and the general public will grab that.
I want Waller, I love Waller, but who's gonna want the fat lady in a business suite and the old man that come with Batman, while Batman is sitting on the pegs next to it in a single for 5 bucks?