Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:51 pm 
shirtless hugger

JediJones wrote:
That crappy hamster movie toy line that TRU recently got in

LOL

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:22 pm 
The Last Word

The DCIH singles here have gone up to $6.99 at Target. Last time I paid any attention to them, they were $4.99.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:49 pm 
5" Scale

JediJones wrote:
I don't think DCIH singles are going on clearance. Maybe your store just accidentally thought they were the same as JLU singles and put the clearance tags on them.

Target is putting an amazing amount of action figures on clearance right now though. More than I've ever seen at once outside of post-Christmas. It seems like somewhere between 2/3rds of an aisle side to a full aisle side's worth of stuff. It's hard to believe they'll be enough Joe movie stuff to replace all this space, especially since all the current Joe stuff itself is itself going away. Here's all the stuff I've seen or heard of being clearanced right now (ones I haven't noticed personally yet are marked as reportedly).

All 25AC Joe except Combat Heroes
JLU singles
DCIH 3-packs
DC Super Friends
BatB Batman vs. Alien (which means no BatB Grodd for Target)
Star Wars Evolutions
Star Wars Unleashed Minis
Star Wars Mighty Muggs
Star Wars Ultimate Lightsaber
Spider-Man Classics figure assortment
Marvel Mighty Muggs
Wolverine Superhero Squad packs (reportedly)
Terminator stuff (reportedly)
WWE stuff (reportedly)

And the new stuff I'm aware of that might be coming to replace it:

Joe movie
JLU 6-packs
Star Wars Turbo Tank
Star Wars mini-vehicle/figure packs
Transformers Fallen repaint exclusive
Transformers Human Alliance
That crappy hamster movie toy line that TRU recently got in

Maybe 25%-33% of that space could be filled in by the non-Joe stuff. I heard somewhere Target is trying to be "Joe headquarters" for the movie. Add in all this aisle space to whatever endcaps they do and I guess they really mean it.

I saw the Brave and the Bold role play swords on NCF status so those should be clearanced out as well, I would imagine. Also, the repackaged/rebranded Dark Knight figures were NCF as well and probably going to be clearanced.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:29 am 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
j1h15233 wrote:
Dusty wrote:
What would help increase sales for JLU toys, is to have Mattel convince Cartoon Network to air JL/JLU again (that would be better than the current live action crap they have now.)

D.

That would be better than ANYTHING they air.

Well t should be very do-able considering Time Warner (Warner Bros.) owns CNk, plus, CN would be very smart if they started re-airing a bunch of their classic cartoons and see how the ratings are afterwards, (those would cost nothing, since they were made in CN Studio) and if it turns out that they don't get many more veiwers, they can go ahead and do what they are doing now (which is being the suckiest of all TV Channels)

D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:46 am 
The Last Word

Dusty wrote:
Well t should be very do-able considering Time Warner (Warner Bros.) owns CNk, plus, CN would be very smart if they started re-airing a bunch of their classic cartoons and see how the ratings are afterwards, (those would cost nothing, since they were made in CN Studio)

That's not at all how it works.

1) Justice League/Justice League Unlimited was not, "made in CN Studio."

2) It wouldn't, "cost nothing," to air the show.

3) The fact that Time Warner is the parent company of both Warner Bros. Animation and Cartoon Network means bubkes. Both companies operate as separate entities with their own profit margins in mind. The Warner Bros. Animation division doesn't sit around make cartoons for the Cartoon Network division to air free of charge. They have to stay in the black to look good for the accountants and executives just like every other employee of any other company. Cartoon Network has to pay Warner Bros. Animation for content they produce for the cable channel just like they would pay any other studio.

4) Cartoon Network already airs JLU reruns on their Boomerang channel, and they pay syndication fees to WBA for the right to do that. It would cost more to air the show on CN, because that would generate advertising revenue. They're certainly not going to spend more to help Mattel sell a few more toys, and they already have an idea of how many people would watch those reruns even if they did it, based on the data they collect from this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:45 am 
serves the Otter

Bupkis.

The TMNT stuff is on clearance too or marked NCF.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 5:07 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Maniac Joker wrote:
Bupkis.

Quote:
Main Entry:
bub·kes Listen to the pronunciation of bubkes
Variant(s):
also bup·kes or bup·kus \ˈbəp-kəs, ˈbu̇p-\
Function:
noun plural but singular in construction
Etymology:
Yiddish (probably short for kozebubkes, literally, goat droppings), plural of bubke, bobke, diminutive of bub, bob bean, of Slavic origin; akin to Polish bób bean
Date:

: the least amount : beans <won't win bubkes this year — Ivan Maisel> ; also : nothing <received bubkes for their efforts

I figured I'd do it kinder and gentler than CC would.

See? I'm looking out for you guys. :)

Peace,

Chip

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:58 am 
Factory Worker

At all of the five Target stores local to me I have not seen any of the JLU on clearance at all. I have seen some DCIH three packs on clearance but they were still rather expensive.

So, I say that this is NOT the final nail in the JLU coffin. I think that JLU is still fine and going strong. It's just really hard to find new JLU right now is all. But, that's always been the case for me. I have always had difficulties in finding the new JLU stuff. After a month of the new JLU stuff being released I've usually been able to find it fairly well.

F.Y.I. I am looking for old Batman/Superman animated figures. I need Killer Croc, Manbat, Ventriliquist, Alfred, Riddler and Lois Lane.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:17 am 
serves the Otter

marillion wrote:
Maniac Joker wrote:
Bupkis.

Quote:
Main Entry:
bub·kes Listen to the pronunciation of bubkes
Variant(s):
also bup·kes or bup·kus \ˈbəp-kəs, ˈbu̇p-\
Function:
noun plural but singular in construction
Etymology:
Yiddish (probably short for kozebubkes, literally, goat droppings), plural of bubke, bobke, diminutive of bub, bob bean, of Slavic origin; akin to Polish bób bean
Date:

: the least amount : beans <won't win bubkes this year — Ivan Maisel> ; also : nothing <received bubkes for their efforts

I figured I'd do it kinder and gentler than CC would.

See? I'm looking out for you guys. :)

Peace,

Chip

Not sure what you're trying to get at. I assume you're saying "bupkis" isn't a proper spelling of the word, but according to the dictionary it is.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 7:21 am 
serves the Otter

Ah, reading through the rest of the thread, I think I know what you were saying now. Anyway, my bupkis was a response to the thread, not CC. I didn't even read page 3 which is why I was responding to page 2.

Bit of a reach fella.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:58 am 
The Last Word

Alcatraz wrote:
At all of the five Target stores local to me I have not seen any of the JLU on clearance at all.

If they have any singles left, they will be. This stuff doesn't happen at all stores at once. The Target where I found The Rise Of Cobra toys this morning has now put the three-packs on clearance for $9 and change.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:17 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
Caped Crusader wrote:
Dusty wrote:
Well t should be very do-able considering Time Warner (Warner Bros.) owns CNk, plus, CN would be very smart if they started re-airing a bunch of their classic cartoons and see how the ratings are afterwards, (those would cost nothing, since they were made in CN Studio)

That's not at all how it works.

1) Justice League/Justice League Unlimited was not, "made in CN Studio."

2) It wouldn't, "cost nothing," to air the show.

3) The fact that Time Warner is the parent company of both Warner Bros. Animation and Cartoon Network means bubkes. Both companies operate as separate entities with their own profit margins in mind. The Warner Bros. Animation division doesn't sit around make cartoons for the Cartoon Network division to air free of charge. They have to stay in the black to look good for the accountants and executives just like every other employee of any other company. Cartoon Network has to pay Warner Bros. Animation for content they produce for the cable channel just like they would pay any other studio.

4) Cartoon Network already airs JLU reruns on their Boomerang channel, and they pay syndication fees to WBA for the right to do that. It would cost more to air the show on CN, because that would generate advertising revenue. They're certainly not going to spend more to help Mattel sell a few more toys, and they already have an idea of how many people would watch those reruns even if they did it, based on the data they collect from this.

Blah blah blah, yadda yadda yadda, that's all I see on my screen CC ;)
No, really tho, thanks for the info, I actually knew that TW and CN are completely different entities, plus some of the stuff about CN's rights and such, but I wasn't quite sure on all of it, so thanks for clearing that up, (and even though none of this is possible) I know it would be cheaper to re-run JLU or some of the old CN original cartoons rather then creating a completely new show, but it's all about ratings these days,
and that's something CN is having a hard time with right now, (tho they deserve it for being stupid IMO ;) )

Oh and FYI good sir, (I know CN could care less about Mattel's JLU sales, I could've sworn I put a wink emoticon at the end of my original post... but... I guess I was in a hurry, so, sorry about that,
g'night folks, :)

D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:43 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

The reason that I don't think that this is the end for JLU is simple. Whenever a new wave of figures hits sales go up very quickly. We all made a mad rush to Target for some repaints and re-releases. There was only one new character in the bunch and that was basically a repaint itself.

Then we have threads on here asking when the new 3-packs are going to ship.

Mattel knows that they had issues with too many 3 packs and Kilowog singles. They have said time and time again that those peg warmers were just to hold the spot open for new product.

Mattel is a business first. So the way I look at it is this. If sales are strong in the first few weeks of a new release then there is a reason to continue selling the product.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:15 am 
buzz word garbage hater

FWIW, the Target by where I work has completely stopped carrying JLU.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:26 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Singles just went on NCF clearance today at my Target as well (along with TMNT) and thanks to the packaging marketing geniuses at mattel they stickered all the DCIH figures clearance as well- and was able to argue my way into a 3.50 Supergirl and OMAC- also picked up a GL and the Supes with Projector--

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 75 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next