Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The DCD History of the DCU Series 1 is finally out...
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:42 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I picked up the Batman and Green Arrow figures this morning.

Batman has 19 POA consisting of...A ball jointed neck, DCD ball-jointed shoulders, upper arm cut, elbows, forearm cuts, wrist cuts, mid-torso hinge, waist cut, T-crotch hips, knees and lower leg cuts. Of course the shoulders and mid-torso have very limited range of motions. And because of the limited lower body articulation they are pretty much statues from the waist down. The lower leg cuts seem useless without ankle joints. I'm surprised they didn't give them ankle articulation as I think that would have helped out greatly in their poses. Especially with Batman who's top heavy because of his cape. (He can't stand even with the base they gave him) the sidewalk base or Hush bases work much better for him. Speaking of the cape I think it would have looked much better if it draped over the shoulders. While the Batman has his flaws I do think this is the best Batman DCD has released.

This is pretty much all Batman's shoulders can raise outwards -

Green Arrow has the same POA as Batman. My only real complaint with GA is I wish he had a better range of motion in his shoulders and came with some trick arrows.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:57 am 
We're going streaking!

I hope to see these in person tomorrow. It's disappointing that the hips were also changed on these (as well as the last Superman/Batman Series -- I wonder what happened?) and it definitely dimishes my excitement over these. But The Batman looks nice overall and barring paint apps and cost, I will pick him up. The Teen Titans Robin looks good posed with him (no surprise since Robin is basically a Perez figure too).

Green Arrow is just too buff. I love the uniform though and it beats the original version of this costume that DC Direct gave up (the Hasbro 9" Green Arrow is still my favorite in this costume). I will probably skip him unless I see a really good price though.

Thanks for the pictures, PJ!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:37 am 
Bob Vila

Nice job, PJ. Only DC Direct could increase articulation and still not get it right... :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:26 pm 
ABS

I saw these today and they were $18 at the store. I don't know if it's just this place but that is way too much. Kind of bothers me because I kind of want Creeper now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:04 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

Thanks for the reviews and pics, PJ. I'm really looking forward to these guys now. Batman sports a better likeness to the 70's and 80's version than his DCUC counterpart. The cowl ears are longer, chest emblem is bigger, his limbs are torso are better proportioned. In short, everything that bugs me about the Mattel Batman is reversed here. I'll be swapping his cape for a custom fabric one which should help him stand up okay. We need an 80's Titans Robin in this line to go with Bats.

Green Arrow looks just as good. It should be interesting to pair him with DCUC's upcoming Adams-ish Ollie. I'll be getting both versions just the same.

For all their flaws, these are the best DCD figures I have seen since the brand debuted ten years ago. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:24 pm 
Wonderdog

I dunno. I already have the Bolland Batman/Hugo Strange and the JLI Batman, both of which are garbed close enough to the Batman in this wave that I'm on the fence regarding this figure. Not convinced yet that the History Batman is distinctive enough to warrant a purchase, specially with the reduced articulation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:53 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

I know that after seeing these two, I'm truly psyched for Manhunter and Blue Devil now! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:54 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Boombot wrote:
I saw these today and they were $18 at the store. I don't know if it's just this place but that is way too much. Kind of bothers me because I kind of want Creeper now.

It might just be that place they were $13.99 each at the shop I picked them up at.