Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:56 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Mattel SDCC Discussions
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:59 pm 
ABS

Thundercats WHERE Are they. I Swore I read somewhere they where gonna have an announcement on them. I was fully expecting anything regarding it but instead we get Megos? and a cancelled line Dark Knight?

Post subject: Re: Mattel SDCC Discussions
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:29 pm 
Factory Worker

Parker711 wrote:
Thundercats WHERE Are they. I Swore I read somewhere they where gonna have an announcement on them. I was fully expecting anything regarding it but instead we get Megos? and a canceled line Dark Knight?

Actually it was my post suggesting that they may as Hard Hero had acquired the rights from WB to do statues after 3 attempts over a very long period of time. Being that Mattel has a relationship with WB/DC and the fact that TG had said they were announcing something all of us really wanted bad, and with rumors of a motion picture and all the fan requests, i extrapolated that perhaps that may be a possibility. I guess i was wrong no way did i think it was Mego.

My Thoughts on the Mattel Panel Announcements:

Movie Masters/ Dark Knight

As for Dark knight, after the 7 there really isn't much left to do but the Movie Master brand could have been capitalized on. They did in a way with 12 inch figures of Zod and Reeves Superman in the 12 inch format but really it looks terrible. They should have left that to DC Direct or Hot Toys. I wish they had just focused on the 6 inch line done a Reeves Superman, along with villains from that series. Gone back to Batman done some earlier movies and villains, done a 6 inch from Wonder Woman Animated, GL first flight, Public Enemies (composite thing for example), And other WB/DC related movies. But i guess that's DC directs thing so its a conflict of interest. I wonder if this why they said that public enemies was from the movie but with the 4H styling. i wonder if DCUC is hurting their business.

Well who knows what they will cook up next until we see it on ebay first.

JLU

1. 2009 6 pack 1 and 2 awesome, 6 pack- #3, come on Mattel, that should have been a single. If you need to fill space you should have re-released either pack 3 or 4 from 2008 that a lot of people did not find or get in their area. There is a shelf warmer if there is one. It will probably move if they put it on sale. Seriously screwing over Target again is not a good idea. Pack 4 awesome.

2. 3 pack with metallo, one new figure. Not the metallo i was expecting. just a wasted opportunity like adult blowup girl oh sorry supergirl. Seriously who sculpted that monstrosity? What's the deal with packing 2 old 3 packs from 2008 in with the new 3 packs? That will totally undo your sales effort and add even more to the problem.

3. While i love all things JLU, i would have preferred you took care of business first then hand out the icing. We need you to give us show and fan demanded characters first like Killer Frost, Livewire, Toyman, STRIPE, Kalibak, The detective Gorilla can't remember his name, 2 other ladies that hang out with Lashina, Circe, Tsokuri (she was in few epsiodes), Clayface, etc. The repaints and other comic characters can wait. If this line is on shaky legs like you keep telling us indirectly with your comments of buy or it will die then at least have the courtesy of giving us the figures we want, hopefully that will help sales. With 4 packs, you need to make the choice appealing or a mix of appealing and not.

DCUC

While i don't collect this line, there are a few i own like unmasked Batman Beyond, Dr Impossible (don't know who he is but love the costume design), Blue Cowl Batman and Blue Beatle (just looked cool).

Zebra Batman:
You gotta make him and release at retail or as a matty exclusive. I'd buy one in a NYC minute. Just for the novelty. I don't even know who that is, i actually thought it was a joke until i saw the picture.

Bwana Beast/Animal Man:
I am excited as my friend loves Animal man.

WALMART:

From Wave 10 there are a couple i would buy of this one is a must have. The 5 pack well only Luthor is exclusive. Want the Batman but you already know this, don't care for the rest of the pack.

TARGET

Public enemies- maybe batman and superman if it looks good in person, otherwise i will skip.

Wave 9- there are 2-3 that i may consider.

DCIH

what can say 1 figure in a 3 pack is ridiculous, i'm not paying $15-17 for one figure. Lots of repeats -ridiculous, especially the first 4- guy, shazam, etc.. Lots of boring character choices. I'm not a fan of the new articulation. Up to now i have fought tooth and nail and got every DCIH figure ever made. I might just drop this line after the panel.

Also talk about stupidity. Who plans your cases? Have they been in the local stores lately and seen all those peg warmers? So the only new single figures we have seen so far are OMAC and Supergirl 85. These were the only 2 new ones. OMAC attack 6 pack gives you 2 OMACS, so basically only 1 new figure thus you just made the peg warming situation even worse as pretty much 10 figs from that case are peg warmers. The next wave is no better only 3 new figures of which you announced one of them is repeating.

The slides i saw show luthor in armor, a captain atom, this last wave of singles has the metropolis set trooper. So basically if you bought the metropolis TRU set at full price you got shafted. So the only figure from that pack is the superman with a different logo on his chest big whoop! Talk about a slap on the face at $50 for one figure. Even with clearance sale it still $28

For the money your not giving us anything special and your making that value to price thing even worse by just giving us 1 figure in a pack- mary batson, animal man, etc. Not to mention horrible QC, plastic and paint apps. I have yet to see one good mary batson. Even the repeats in their are really messed up. What your panel did for me is made me realize that i am wasting my hard earned money and i'm getting played by you. A little respect Mattel. After all without us you would be broke.

MOTUC

After orko and she-ra, i don't care as long as i am able to get one someday. What you showed looks good. Battlecat looks Hasbro cheap. Theplastic is just so poor.

GREATEST SUPERHEROES

Are you freaking kidding me!!!! This is what you waste your tooling dollars on? What a freaking joke, no tragedy. May be you should have done Thundercats instead or invested in giving us JLU chracters we still need from the show. Then you have the audacity to threaten the end of JLU. I am was so glad the days of mego are over until you revived it. Talk about retarded design.

HOT WHEELS

Batmobiles

When are you giving us the 2 batman cars from The Batman animated series?

Star Trek

Better quality, more diecast then plastic, lower price and better ship selection. Do stuff not done before.

Seriously! That's all you got. Apart from that robot looking vehicle the rest is just crap. Can you say peg warmer?

AttiTUBES

Talk about unoriginal. Did you learn nothing from mighty muggs or do oyu research into what vinyl is about? Every toy maker is jumping into this without knowing the scene like NECA, Mezco, McFarlane, and this stuff is not moving and looks the same. So to do liscs you own on a vinyl format that looks like the illegitimate child of what hasbro+mezco+NECA+McFarlane have done is just craptacular. You clearly have no clue what vinyl is all about. Even the size is wrong for a mass market vinyl hasbro learned that the hard way. With Blammoids you really can't do DC so your left with MOTU. Again another colossal waste of tooling dollars and time.

The canvas with some redesign could be useable, but you should have done something else with this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 1:33 am 
Factory Worker

Here's my take

DCUC

I am pretty much stoked about this wave. Although the past couple of waves have been more exciting for me, these new ones are awesome nonetheless.

Of the new reveals, Kilowog, Animal Man, Imperiex, The Sinestro Corpsmen, Robotman and B'wana Beast have me most excited. John Stewart looks nice, while Katma Tui, Shark and Silver Banshee are all looking nice. Major Force should be bulkier though.

Brimstone should be bigger but I'm cool with it.

Also liking The Question. Easily my most anticipated figure of the bunch.
Joker is well done, glad that ManBat is available. Power Girl we've seen before.

Love the GL/Sinestro constructs! BRILLIANT!

That Luthor 5 pack looks nice as well. I would have liked a black suited Catwoman instead though.

I hope what they say about the Wal*Mart wave being plentiful is true. The distribution was horrible last time. And l hope that wave makes its way to us here in the Philippines somehow.

Chemo looks great by the way. Can't wait for all of these.

DCIH

The line has been uninteresting to me. Mostly because of the sculpts. Character selection is excellent however. And with the DCUC giants Chemo, Brimstone and Imperiex, coming up, it seems this line is PERFECT for those. I may finally cave in. If only those darn US only exclusives would make it our way.

I may start hunting these down. I'm glad they are releasing a REVERSE FLASH figure. Note to all those who think this was a re-release, the first one was ZOOM, Wally West's arch foe. This one is Barry Allen's arch foe.

JLU

Captain Cold (the top figure on my wishlist)
Captain Boomerang,
Plastic Man
Firestorm
The Justice Guild
The Thanagarians
Metallo

All winners.

The Eclipso wave is the biggest problem. 6 figures, 5 of which we have tons of. This is gonna warm pegs.

Hope this line keeps going.

Those are the only lines I collect. But I must chime in on...

MOTUC.

Battle Cat is AWESOME. As a child, this was my favorite from the MOTU line. I will likely try to get this!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:03 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

JamesJesse wrote:
The Eclipso wave is the biggest problem. 6 figures, 5 of which we have tons of. This is gonna warm pegs.

!

But they have red eyes :roll:

At least they could have put in MM instead of GL-- especially since GL is in the next pack as well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:17 am 
Fugitive Dust

Christopher Reeve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:27 am 
3 3/4"

toylad wrote:
[
MOTUC

After orko and she-ra, i don't care as long as i am able to get one someday. What you showed looks good. Battlecat looks Hasbro cheap. Theplastic is just so poor.

Don't you mean "Mattel cheap?" I frequent the Star Wars, GI Joe, and Transformer lines and feel their QC and plastic to be better than much of the competition in mass market toy lines. I can usually find a good example of something I want on the pegs unlike Mattel where I will often leave something I want on the pegs due to bad QC and, unfortunately, I never see the figure again. And the warping and the inability of animated figures to stand makes for a more compelling argument to slam Mattel than Hasbro. Though I guess our mileage varies. Mattel has gotten better, though.

toylad wrote:
HOT WHEELS

Star Trek

Better quality, more diecast then plastic, lower price and better ship selection. Do stuff not done before.

Wow. More die cast but cheaper? I would want more die cast too but I would not, nor most reasonable people, expect it to be cheaper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:56 am 
my tummy itches

Toylad, not trying to cause trouble, just curious; which version of Metallo where you expecting?

From the pics I saw, that Metallo head sculpt is completely on-model.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:26 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Well lets see Hasbro- exclusives avilable on their website the next day- and what a novel idea-- actually sell the product to all your fans and not actually suggest they turn to the secondary market.

Mattel--- sells out of their bonus before Sat...-- you should in the least-- make as many Gleeks as sets of Wonder Twins that you bring to freaking comic con--

After things like this I realize-- I like your products-- not because they are from Mattel but because you have the license I like, I hope that you let the DC license expire- let Hasbro pick it up -- just make dolls and matchbox and stay out of the big boy action figure game -(limiting your product (for buzz), quality issues, shipping issues, letting a film line die when the sales arent there, case packs a blind man could make better, holding onto each minute piece of info like its gold, and when it comes out its from some stupid social network site- where you pretend to be one guy (act like a company maybe))-theres a reason Hasbro has 4/5 of the aisle-(well that and the fact that you copy all their ideas 2 years later)--they are in the business of selling toys---- without 4 Horseman people wouldnt tolerate this crap at all- and if you didnt have control of Batman and JLU- I wouldnt take a second look.

And now you take the Toy story license- try to recreate what hasbro had (Toy Box Heroes) and charge more for them-despite inferior sculpts-- another winner.

So thats what I feel about Mattel after SDCC.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:31 am 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

You guys have to read this posted by TravelNurseRN on RTM. It may hold the real reason Gleek ran out early:

Quote:
THE TRUTH ABOUT GLEEK:

Many people got more FREE Gleek's than bought Wonder Twins. On Wednesday, people kept going back up to claim their order was incorrect and missing Gleek, and the idiots at the counter would just throw a handful into their bag. I bumped into one of the local scalpers from Frank & Son's and he told me that one guy he knew got 6 free Gleeks. My girlfriend waited in line for me when I went to the Hasbro line. For my ONE WonderTwin set they threw THREE Gleeks into the bag. Multiply this by the many scumbags who would go back and claim they never received one, and it's no wonder they ran out by Friday!! The Mattel booth was so badly handled this year, even after getting my Gleek I still want to quit collecting their products in fear of next years inevitable fiasco! My girlfriend waited in Mattel's line from open to close on Wednesday without getting to buy anthing because they never capped their line before the show closed like Hasbro and the others did. They did not limit the MOTU art books, and one guy walked away with 25 of them! And please, don't ask for my extra Gleeks, they are already spoken for. Shame I didn't get more to share the love with my fellow collectors though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:39 am 
Aspires to be #1

I wish I could have run the booth. I would have been bossing nerds around like nobodys business and I definitely would have taken scalper money and then made them stick to the limit. What are they gonna do about it haha?

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:23 pm 
Kool Moe Dee

thoughts on Mattel's showings

JLU
Will continue to buy any and all JLU figures including the Justice Guild(just maybe not on the first day...)

DCUC
While none of these figures are terrible(except maybe the Shark) I still only find myself interested in a couple of figures per wave(Forager, Joker, Manbat and Steppenwolf are all I'll probably pick up) The Public Enemies figures look how I expected but the character choices are way off anything I would have guessed. Love that Black Lightning way more than the Walmart one.

DCIH
Still no interest but congrats to those who won the anti monitors!

MOTUC
from what I hear I'm glad my friend couldn't pick up the book for me, I thought it was going to be full of vintage paintings but was in reality an overpriced pamphlet with not much of interest in it. As for what was shown, Scareglow FTW! No need to get a vintage one now.

WORLDS GREATEST SUPERHEROES
AWESOME, AWESOME, AWESOME. Did I say I thought this was awesome?If they had a subscription for these I would sign up right now.

vc9k

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:27 pm 
5" Scale

JediJones wrote:
You guys have to read this posted by TravelNurseRN on RTM. It may hold the real reason Gleek ran out early:

Quote:
THE TRUTH ABOUT GLEEK:

Many people got more FREE Gleek's than bought Wonder Twins. On Wednesday, people kept going back up to claim their order was incorrect and missing Gleek, and the idiots at the counter would just throw a handful into their bag. I bumped into one of the local scalpers from Frank & Son's and he told me that one guy he knew got 6 free Gleeks. My girlfriend waited in line for me when I went to the Hasbro line. For my ONE WonderTwin set they threw THREE Gleeks into the bag. Multiply this by the many scumbags who would go back and claim they never received one, and it's no wonder they ran out by Friday!! The Mattel booth was so badly handled this year, even after getting my Gleek I still want to quit collecting their products in fear of next years inevitable fiasco! My girlfriend waited in Mattel's line from open to close on Wednesday without getting to buy anthing because they never capped their line before the show closed like Hasbro and the others did. They did not limit the MOTU art books, and one guy walked away with 25 of them! And please, don't ask for my extra Gleeks, they are already spoken for. Shame I didn't get more to share the love with my fellow collectors though.

I think that's exactly what happened. CrunchyNug and I were in line for Mattel and saw this happening quite a bit.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:23 pm 
Fugitive Dust

toylad wrote:
GREATEST SUPERHEROES

Are you freaking kidding me!!!! This is what you waste your tooling dollars on? What a freaking joke, no tragedy. May be you should have done Thundercats instead or invested in giving us JLU characters we still need from the show. Then you have the audacity to threaten the end of JLU. I am was so glad the days of mego are over until you revived it. Talk about retarded design.

See this is my opinion of JLU - A waste of tooling, marketing, and plastic to appease a dwindling pool of fans that that haven't figured out that the line died over a year ago. I just don't bother to post about it because belittling someone else's taste in figures is is a waste of every ones time.

For me Mego's WGSH was THE line to have. Marvel, DC, PotA, and more all in one line of toys. Mattel's figures, and the fact that they are bringing in Dr. Mego for design help means a lot to me and I too will sign on for a subscription, figures unseen, for this line if it is offered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:03 pm 
Cold-cast

brand42 wrote:
JediJones wrote:

Quote:
THE TRUTH ABOUT GLEEK:

I think that's exactly what happened. CrunchyNug and I were in line for Mattel and saw this happening quite a bit.

I have a few choice words and personal comments for the sales people @ the Mattel booth but my Mother always taught me if I having nothing nice to say don't say anything @ all. Just kidding!! The guys loading the booth were even smarter than them for kringle's sake!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:07 am 
shirtless hugger

Mattel SHOULD have bagged Gleek and the Wonder Twins together in a sealed bag for SDCC and sold them that way together. Just passing out free Gleeks to anybody who bitched was just stupid, but then again that is Mattel.

As for the rest of what Mattel showed I just did not care.

DCUC: Nice but I bet Wal-Mart does not have wave 10 out in force at all and the rest of the retailers will not have any of this stuff on their pegs until next SDCC. Zebra Batman is the All-Time WORST Variant EVER! At least he ws in the Comic Book once, a long time ago.

DCIH: I have never seen new ones at retail, except for OMAC and Supergirl, so I don’t expect to see any of these either. All of the Batman ones except the Gordon / SWAT 3 pack I had to buy of eBay.

JLU: Looks like they are doing what Hasbro did when they lost the Batman license in 2002 and flooding the market with one last flush. With only one outlet for them all of these will backup at Target and the line will go away or to Matty.

Seriously, it has been 6 years and one mistake after another that riles up the fanboys and collectors and lights you the forums. I don’t know why Mattel cannot seem to learn from their mistakes, but I hope the license goes back to Hasbro when it comes up for renewal.