Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:17 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject: Fantastic Four Reboot
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:29 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Fox is Rebooting Fantastic Four

Source:superherohype.com

August 31, 2009

Variety reports that 20th Century Fox has begun overhauling the "Fantastic Four" movie franchise to take the Marvel property beyond the two films already made.

Akiva Goldsman has been hired to oversee the reboot as producer. Michael Green, the co-exec producer of TV's "Heroes" who co-wrote Green Lantern, will write the script for the new Fantastic Four film.

The 2005 Fantastic Four and 2007 sequel "Rise of the Silver Surfer" were directed by Tim Story and starred Ioan Gruffudd, Jessica Alba, Chris Evans and Michael Chiklis. Since the deals for the reboot are just getting made, it is unclear if any of them will return.

Fox controls the "Fantastic Four" movie franchise in perpetuity -- as long as it continues making the films. Marvel is a producer and financial participant through a licensing agreement.

Mike
(Image Image Image Image)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:55 pm 
5" Scale

I think I'm one of the few folks out there that actually liked the FF movies. If they recast, I hope they keep Chiklis and Evans, although I wouldn't mind the entire cast coming back sans Nip/Tuck Doom. He was kind of miss for me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 5:51 am 
Former King of Posts

I don't see a need to reboot. I think they could just move forward from where they are. They could even pull in a few plot elements from movies 1 and 2 into a third and make it a trilogy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 6:30 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

The FF films were fairly mediocre to me.

The only cast member I thought they had right was Evans as Johnny/Human Torch. The rest (including Chiklis much to my chagrin) just seemed flat and mis-cast.

I don't necessarily think they need a reboot, more of a re-purposing might be good though.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:17 am 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

Just my two cents, but I would love to see them start completely over. I can't think of one scene or moment from either film that stands out as something cool or memorable, and the characterization of Reed and Sue just felt very off to me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:38 am 
Grickle Grass Grower

Reboot, keep Evans and Chiklis--though this might be confusing in a reboot. Though probably any kid from the WB could fill the Human Torch's shoes.
CGI Thing--that foam rubber costume they had Chikie wear looked like foam rubber. CGI please.
Cast a MILF as Invisible WOMAN, Ali Larter is at the top of my list (supposedly she almost got the part in the first go round).
Include Franklin, for some moments of childlike wonder and awe, but don't make it a children's movie.
It's a little TOO Incredibles at this point, but a battle with Mole Man and his monsters of the deep is probably the more accessible way to go.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:05 pm 
serves the Otter

Sounds like a bad idea. The FF films weren't great, but FF honestly isn't the type of property that can have "epic" films. The only thing that sucked was a lack of Galactus in the second movie.

They butchered Doom though.

I still like the Corman movie.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:58 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

I wonder if they can do a fantastic four with the other main sub characters--

The one with if I recall-- Spiderman, Ghost Rider, Wolverine and Gray Hulk..

Talk about using up a special effects budget..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 9:59 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

I wonder if they can do a fantastic four with the other main sub characters--

The one with if I recall-- Spiderman, Ghost Rider, Wolverine and Gray Hulk..

Talk about using up a special effects budget..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:54 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Does FF really need a complete reboot though? It's not like it was the first Hulk movie. I didn't honestly think either film was bad.

I'm just not seeing a need for a complete redo here. The cast was good but it just seemed as though the scripts were lacking. Hire a real sci-fi writer to catch the essence of the FF better. Put them in the Negative Zone or in space or fighting Skrulls. Silver Surfer? Wonderful. No Galactus? Stupid.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:13 am 
Cold-cast

Maniac Joker wrote:
Sounds like a bad idea. The FF films weren't great, but FF honestly isn't the type of property that can have "epic" films. The only thing that sucked was a lack of Galactus in the second movie.

They butchered Doom though.

I still like the Corman movie.

Why can't studios be creative enough to choose something else, IMH FF is not something thrilling, the avengers are!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:42 am 
5" Scale

I like Tex's idea. No reboot, just a new story that doesn't entirely ignore what's already been established.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 12:18 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

Looks like I'm the only person posting in this thread that would like them to start completely over. :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:30 pm 
The Last Word

xrmc20 wrote:
Looks like I'm the only person posting in this thread that would like them to start completely over. :)

It would be the only way they'd get me to buy a ticket. Those movies were pure garbage. Dr. Doom is the cream of the crop as far as Marvel villains go, and they absolutely ruined him. How you get a character like Doom that wrong is beyond my comprehension. If there's going to be another movie, it should definitely be a reboot, because what's been established was awful.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:48 pm 
5" Scale

Yeah, but so was Ang Lee's Hulk CC and they didn't do a complete reboot with The Incredible Hulk :wink: It would be a complete waste of time to try and reinvest the audience with yet another origin film. It would be one thing if there was enough distance between the movies like there was with Batman & Robin and Batman Begins, but there hasn't. There was almost a decade between the 2 films and only 2 since ROTSS. I'm not saying there wasn't any missteps. As I said in my previous post, I didn't like Doom's portrayal either, but is a reboot really necessary?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next