Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Nov 27, 2014 4:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:37 pm 
Variant Head

Batman Beyond I want my Stalker!

and what about TNBA ? I remeber how bad ass those 4 packs at TRU where. Alfred,Lois Lane, Ras al Ghul,Talia and even Gordon!Maybe someday we could have seen Harvey Bullock !

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:02 pm 
Ferret Farmer

The lines that come to mind for me are The Muppets, Darkwing Duck, Mighty Ducks, TNBA, STAS, IJ and Teen Titans (bandai).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 16, 2010 2:13 pm 
Damage Control

G.I. Joe Modern Era :cry:

L.O.D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:17 am 
Fugitive Dust

I have to go with the Palisades Muppet/Sesame Street line. The Muppet figures were starting to wind down, but there were a few that were due to be produced (Bean Bunny, Sal Minella, Clueless Morgan, Veterinarians Hospital) that I really wanted to add tot he collection. The real loss was the Sesame Street characters. I think that line could have garnered mass appeal and added life to both lines.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:14 pm 
3 3/4"

Indy Raiders second wave looked so badarsed and I really wish it had hit. Other than that Micronaughts (But looks like they are on the comback at least).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:43 am 
Killer Mothman

The recent Hasbro Indiana Jones set - so many great character left unmade...

Also, Super Powers could have been good - however, looking at some of the character selections they were thinking of, maybe not...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 1:36 am 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

I wish that Indiana Jones could have made it into a second year at least. Characters like Toth, Satipo, and the German Mechanic were almost a given.

We might have also gotten Marcus Brody, Herman Dietrich, a regular (Kenner) version of Belloq, Simon Katanga, Gobler, Jock Lindsey, Lao Che, Wu Han, Walter Donovan, Kazim, Mac, Harold Oxley, and maybe even a new Mutt Williams variant or two. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 19, 2010 5:46 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Lt. Clutch wrote:
and maybe even a new Mutt Williams variant or two. :wink:

No maybe about that-- according to Hasbro the Kids love that character. :roll: ..everyone remember all the "Kids" dressed as greasers for halloween after the movie came out

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2010 6:13 am 
3 3/4"

stewbacca wrote:
Lt. Clutch wrote:
Easily the greatest loss of any canceled toy line in history that I've read about.

Im sorry-- that title falls to the Darkwing Duck line-- I mean- although the scale is off - but you eventually got those characters in other lines (albeit different scales)

But that presumes that the source of our lament was only the loss of the characters from the cancelled line. With me it's the loss of the line itself. Sure, far superior versions of all of those characters exist in modern lines but they're not Super Powers. The scale, the action features, the vechicles, playsets... it was the total package.

And quality control was better. ;)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 23, 2010 10:38 pm 
Collector Inspector

Thought of some more...

93' MMPR .
Toybiz DC Super Heroes/Batman (89).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 7:03 am 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

UncleMarsellus wrote:
stewbacca wrote:
Lt. Clutch wrote:
Easily the greatest loss of any canceled toy line in history that I've read about.

Im sorry-- that title falls to the Darkwing Duck line-- I mean- although the scale is off - but you eventually got those characters in other lines (albeit different scales)

But that presumes that the source of our lament was only the loss of the characters from the cancelled line. With me it's the loss of the line itself. Sure, far superior versions of all of those characters exist in modern lines but they're not Super Powers. The scale, the action features, the vechicles, playsets... it was the total package.

And quality control was better. ;)

UncleMarcellus, I couldn't agree more. Super Powers ruled even when it came to matters such as quality control. I remember how Kenner's products were advertised as being made "with tender loving care" which shows how proud they were of their work. I appreciated them for letting us kids know it.

Kenner was always a great toy company, if not the very best ever.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 10:27 am 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

I would like to have seen the 4th wave and announced vehicles & playsets for Super Powers to have seen it through, but I don't feel like it was really incomplete, because there never really was a "team" they were trying to complete. I mean, I guess Forager, Lightray, Metron and Barda could have been included, since that was really the first time any of the 4th world characters had been made, but I think for the most part, Super Powers was more complete than anything else up to that point. And if it had gotten 3 more waves out, that would only be 36 more figures I can't afford on ebay, haha.

I did hate to see the Muppets line end unfinished, and I would love to have seen it spill on over into the proposed Sesame Street line, but to be honest, since selling off all the figures from my collection of the Muppet line that weren't the original classic versions of only the characters from the original Muppet Show, my Muppet collection actually feels MORE complete now than it did when I was really only missing Sal Manilla to go alongside Johnny.

No, for me and my personal collection of action figures, the only real tragedy of incompletion is the Ross Justice line. I mean, there was one wave left of essential characters. SOOOOOOOOO CLOSE! The only reason to have released Batgirl, Supergirl or any or the armored variants was to extend the longevity of the line. People started balking at the line when it went from 5 figures per wave to 4, 2 of which were armored variants that no one really wanted, to the next wave which were 2 more unwanted armored variants and 2 "new" figures- Gorilla Grodd poorly underscale due to being a re-release body from another DCD Grodd w a new head sculpt and an EXACT re-use (not even a different paint scheme) of series 3 Hal Jordan's body for John Stweart. I don't even think that head sculpt was new. Obviously people were going to be pissed about that, especially at the price point, but series 8 was all new characters with awesome sculpts and people seemed to react to it very positively. All they had left to do was put out a wave with Riddler, Giganta & Atom and maybe an armored Wonder Woman variant or something. We didn't even HAVE to have Metamorpho, Metallo, Elongated Man, Clayface or Sivana or the Doom Patrol, Teen Titans, Metal Men or other Gotham villains. JUST RIDDLER ATOM AND GIGANTA! THREE MORE FIGURES AND THAT'S ALL! Alex Ross himself has said he's still holding out for a huge Giganta figure, and I'm right there with him. I found an acceptable Atom (the tiny atom in his chair from the DCD JLA series), he actually looks fine when displayed on a Justice figure base, and I guess the DCUC Giganta would work (although it's hard to justify spending $80 to find out), but to have series proper ones would be SOOO MUCH BETTER. and there is NO Riddler that works, at least that I am aware of. i mean, elseworlds Alex Ross Justice 2-packs: Riddler & Robin, Giganta & Atom, Metallo & Metamorpho and Elongated Man & Clayface. How difficult is that, DCD!? To have all the rest of the Justice cast and even extending into the rest of Ross' DCU (Mr. Mxyzptlk & Swamp Thing!) would be so rad, but seriously. Three more figures.

And what do they do INSTEAD of finishing the Justice line? They start another subline of Ross inspired characters that they'll never finish. Maybe if they just started up a "Ross" line and each wave was a Justice figure, a JSA figure, a Kingdom Come figure and a random DCU figure, but, I know as well as anybody else, that is never going to happen. Tragedy, thy name is DC Direct.

so, that's my answer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:08 pm 
Damage Control

I would have love to see one more Toy Biz AOA lines and a DCD Contemporary Teen Titans wave :wink:

L.O.D.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:17 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

Super Powers was just a few members away from finishing the Satellite Era JLA. Only Atom, Black Canary, Elongated Man, Zatanna, and Hawkgirl were left by 1986. Had the Detroit League been a hit with readers, Kenner might have moved on to that line-up, otherwise they could have done the JLI instead. Doctor Fate was a great figure to launch either the JSA or expand the JLI beyond Batman, Martian Manhunter, Captain Marvel, and Mister Miracle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 4:51 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

Hm. Good point. What would G'Nort's Super Power have been, I wonder?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next