Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 780 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 52  Next
 Post subject: Iron Man 2 figures at retail
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:16 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I stumbled across these tonight at my local TRU. Unfortunately I was late to the party and Crimson Dynamo was gone. :cry:

These look pretty cool IMO. I picked up the original armor (suitably bulky) and one of the few concept armors that struck my fancy.

The most interesting thing was that the figures already number up to #26. The firest five seem to be from movie #1, while #22-26 seem to be comic related.

No sign of the middle numbers (probably more concept armors and Iron Man 2 figures). Same price point as the MU figures.

Man, I hope the villains aren't all shortpacked a la the Toybiz Spider-man line a few years back.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:34 pm 
Wonderdog

I was at Toys R Us today and I picked up Classic 80's Iron-Man, War Machine and... Crymson Dynamo!!! They all looked great and they were in scale with the Marvel Universe figures, Hasbro should just use that figure format for the Marvel Universe line as well, better construction and paint applications to be honest.

Webslinger

Post subject: Re: Iron Man 2 figures at TRU
PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:44 pm 
We're going streaking!

I finally found these today. Overall, Hasbro did a great job with these. I was really only interested in the comic figures, but they really nailed the movie figures in this scale that they didn't quite do in the 6-Inch scale.

Of the comic figures, Classic Iron Man is beautiful and I think he blows away his anorexic ML figure. The stealth version if okay, but the blue legs looked a shade darker than the rest of the body. War Machine looks nice and ominous with all the extra weapons. The original armor has a nice retro feel with great paint apps; I grabbed one that was a bit more weathered looking than the others. And then there is Crimson Dynamo. 'nuff said,

The movie figures are interesting. Mark I looks incredible! It looked like a 4" version of the Hot Toys version to me. Very detailed. The Mark II just pops with the silver and rivets. Very nice looking! Iron Monger is cool, if you like the design. He made the 6-inch version a few pegs over look really silly. And then there is the Mark III. This one looked fine, but I think it says something when the main armor is the most boring of the entire series, between comic and movie lines.

The concept armors did nothing for me. The armor cards look neat and are a nice accessory.

In the end. I just grabbed the comic 1st Armor, classic, War Machine and Crimson Dynamo. I will probably kick myself for not grabbing some of the movie armors at $6.99 each; I cannot imagine these will stay to that price.

The biggest quality issue I saw, and note, I have not opened these yet, was in the faces. Many of the workers missed putting the blue of the classic armor's eyes and mouth in the right spot and they end up all over the mask! War Machine suffers from some mold marks, and there was a miss of the pink eye slit part of Crimson Dynamo, instead ending up on his cheek. The 1st Armor Iron Man was fine, but there are different degrees of weathering on the armor.

I hope we get to see some more armors and villains before the line is through!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:32 am 
We're going streaking!

I hate when toys are more impressive or better looking in the package than when out!

I opened up Iron Man and yes, there are a few issues. Well, make that a couple. The biggest is that (on mine) his neck is basically just a cut joint. And I have to play with his articulation, mostly the chest joint, to get him looking straight ahead, somewhat. I hope this is an issue with just mine, but I don't think it is.

The second problem I have is that I just get him to look right is a normal standing pose. It's odd, really. I don't know if it is the hips, or maybe a little warping of the right leg. Whatever it is, it makes him look a bit knock-kneed, so I am still searching for that perfect pose, the sweet spot on all the joints that make him look right.

I will open the rest of the figures between tonight and tomorrow.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:33 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I'm really enjoying this line. I've already bought six of them (still no Crimson Dynamo, though).

The articulation is great. The paint is very good (blow the Secret Wars figures out of the water, for sure), and the combine-a-armor cards are actually kind of fun.

Not too fond of the stands, though.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:33 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

TRDouble wrote:
Of the comic figures, Classic Iron Man is beautiful and I think he blows away his anorexic ML figure. And then there is Crimson Dynamo. 'nuff said,

I agonized over Classic IM, but without a gold chest circle, he just isn't that much better for me. Oh, he's better, and if I didn't already have two MU originals with the pointy-mask one as well, I would have snapped him up. But... I honestly like the skinny one just fine. And Crimson Dynamo... WOW. I can't wait for Titanium Man. Please tell me they're making him.

TRDouble wrote:
And then there is the Mark III. This one looked fine, but I think it says something when the main armor is the most boring of the entire series, between comic and movie lines.

You're absolutely right. I remember really thinking the movie armor looked cool, but this figure does not pop at all. I'm not sure what it is--maybe the painted-on gold isn't bright enough, but I had very little trouble putting this back on the shelf.

TRDouble wrote:
I will probably kick myself for not grabbing some of the movie armors at $6.99 each; I cannot imagine these will stay to that price.

Are these expected to go up in price?

TRDouble wrote:
The biggest quality issue I saw, and note, I have not opened these yet, was in the faces.

Yeah, the paint on these is weak. Luckily, my TRU got like four cases in, so I had many, many multiples from which to pick...

TRDouble wrote:

PLEASE can we have a real silver centurion armor? PLEASE? Howzabout a Chen-era armor? IM 2019? Comic Iron Monger? Mandarin? Comic Whiplash, even?

In any case, I'm very happy with my four figures (Comic Gray/Original, War Machine, Crimson Dynamo, and Iron Monger). I can't wait for an Avengers movie. Think of the TOYS...

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:50 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

Glad to hear these are out. Hopefully, my local TRUs will show them the same love as they did the Wolverine figures and actually stock them in large numbers.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:45 pm 
We're going streaking!

Eric Qel-Droma wrote:
TRDouble wrote:
I will probably kick myself for not grabbing some of the movie armors at $6.99 each; I cannot imagine these will stay to that price.

Are these expected to go up in price?

I don't know, but I noticed that MU singles were also $6.99. Maybe that was their price before -- I thought they were more expensive -- but when Target and Walmart are charging basically $8.50 for these figures, how long before TRU does too? During the TRU reset, I have seen some price reductions, oddly enough. And a some price increases to balance them out.

Eric Qel-Droma wrote:
TRDouble wrote:

PLEASE can we have a real silver centurion armor? PLEASE? Howzabout a Chen-era armor? IM 2019? Comic Iron Monger? Mandarin? Comic Whiplash, even?

What? You don't like that Red & Silver MU repaint atrocity? :P

I hope we get more too. Iron Man is like Batman to me; there are a good number of adversaries you can make and there are lots of legitimate variants of the main character to make too. I am looking forward to the MU Extremis armor as well.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:20 pm 

Is there a substantial difference between "new" MU Extremis and the original MU version? I can tell that they're different, but I'm not sure why.

I think more Spidey, Avengers, FF, and X-Men villains are necessary, as well. IM has a decent rogues gallery, and I've always liked the character, but I wish... for more of what I want and less of what I don't! :-) I will spare you all the rant about my opinions! Who cares? :-)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:10 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I found Deep Dive Armor and Stealth Operations and both looked great so I grabbed them. Deep Dive Armor review and pics posted and Stealth Operations review and pics coming soon.

http://www.battlegrip.com/?p=12237

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:11 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

They showed pics of a Silver Centurion at Toy Fair that looked a hell of a lot like the classic (issue 200) version of the armor.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:17 am 

battlegrip wrote:
They showed pics of a Silver Centurion at Toy Fair that looked a hell of a lot like the classic (issue 200) version of the armor.

This site says we're getting pretty much all the figures I could have asked for. I still don't see pictures of the comic Wave 3 that he describes, but if they're actually going to to the trouble of making CLASSIC IRON MONGER, then the Silver Centurion that's mentioned should also be pretty comic accurate.

What a great line. Something for everyone.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:58 pm 

So I just opened three of my four IM2 purchases (I'm returning Movie Monger as Classic Monger is on his way in Wave 3...), and I thought I'd post a little mini-review of these figs.

Let me say in advance that I've always dug Iron Man as a concept, but I've never really gotten into the character. My two big "moments" with the character were Rhodey's first stint in the armor up through #200 (Stark vs. Stane to the death) and then the first Armor Wars storyline culminating in the awesome neo-Classic IM armor. If it's not from those storylines, I probably don't care too much.

Okay...

Crimson Dynamo just. looks. awesome. Good lord, how awesome is this toy. He's not super poseable, as his armor is large and bulky, but the sheer amount of perfection they crammed into this toy makes up for it. He's beautiful.

Original IM Armor (Comics) is very nice, but I don't dig the dirt and wear. I look forward to the inevitable gold repaint of this armor, as I've always preferred that look. However, this will let me eventually pose my Stark vs. Rhodey fight, so it's cool. Again, very limited poseability despite having all the typical Hasbro/Marvel p.o.a's. That seems to be an issue with this line.

War Machine (comics) is a figure that I purchased solely for the sake of completion. I don't like War Machine, I never have, I can't respect the armor and its ultimate focus on death and destruction. Add to that some more poseability issues (and these do seem to all be cut necks, as TRDouble mentioned above, which is disappointing), and you've got a figure that looks awesome for the poses it can do.

My paint apps on all three of these are flawless, and they really feel like heavy, tough toys, unlike 98% of my MU stuff which feels flimsy and weak. If you're finding them at TRU for $6.99, you can't go wrong with these for characters that you like.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 6:44 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

I'm looking forward to Crimson Dynamo and the other comic-based figures even more from reading these reviews. Great to hear that an accurate Silver Centurion is on the way. The bulkier feel of the line is a plus as it should suit toys about a guy who wears futuristic armors. The MU figures are too lightweight for me as well.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 21, 2010 7:54 pm 
An Insider

I called my TRU about these today, and they said they have them, but won't be putting them out until March.

The hell?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 780 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 52  Next