Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 7:00 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: FACT: Matty's "refresh" page function does NOT work
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 4:46 pm 
Damage Control

I apologize to the mods if this should be rolled into the usual litany of Matty complaints. However, I wanted to give it a shot at being seen by Mattel. (And I suspect that's more likely here than at their own farce of a forum or Facebook page).

Today, like everyone else, I witnessed the Digital River crash before noon. Like always. I was faced with the "newly white" refresher page, promising me that I was in a queue and I would soon be allowed access. I can usually find "back doors" into the Matt site via Google, but not today. They all led to the dreaded refresh page. So I waited my turn in line. And waited. For an hour. It's bad enough an e-commerce site in this day and age asks this of its customers, but its worse given that most of us have work to attend to at the same time. That can be difficult to manage.

After an hour, on a whim, I tried to access the "new products" page again from a fresh window. Despite the fact the previous windows were still waiting their turn for access in the queue, this new window LET ME RIGHT IN. That's completely contradictory to what Mattel promises! Of course, at this point, the Tytus I'd hoped to purchase for a friend was completely sold out, but that's a different lesson in BASIC economics. The fact is Matty and Digital River's refresher page is nothing but a placebo meant to hide the fact their site DOES NOT WORK PROPERLY.

Walter Peck = $30 shipped. Negativity garnered towards Matty and DR = Priceless.

Sometimes I wish my love for specific toy lines was not greater than my hatred of Matty and Digital River so I could easily walk away from all this.

C.

Post subject: Re: FACT: Matty's "refresh" page function does NOT work
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:53 pm 
MINT!

The "refresh" function worked fine for me today. I was on the WSOD for less than 30 seconds to complete my order.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 5:55 pm 
Aspires to be #1

I always have multiple pages going. I keep one doing the refresh screen and then have others that I refresh manually or try to get in other ways.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 6:36 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

I'd have to agree with Casimir. I sat there patiently waiting in queue on the White Screen of Death for 45 minutes to no avail. The minute I manually hit refresh, BAM, I'm instantly in. Of course, as Cas intimated, Tytus was long gone by then. WE LOVE YOU MATTY!!! AND YOUR LIFE PARTNER DIGITAL RIVER TOO!!! :roll:

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:03 pm 
Unbreakable

What browsers were you guys using? I read somewhere certain ones didn't work with the refresh. i think it was over at Matty forums.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:05 pm 
Damage Control

Today it was Safari on a Mac. I've experienced this behavior since day 1, but today was the first time I made an effort to test.

And if there are known issues with common browsers, the damned message on the white screen of death ought to say so.

C.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:12 pm 
Unbreakable

Hmmm.... Safari should have been okay...

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:31 pm 
PVC

ninersfanincali wrote:
The "refresh" function worked fine for me today. I was on the WSOD for less than 30 seconds to complete my order.

Now posts like THIS amaze me....and make me smile...at the poster's expense. Wow....just....wow. "I didn't have that problem and I actually am pretty cool. Period."

:roll:

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:04 pm 
Daniel Pickett

I went in at noon with both Firefox and IE.

The IE browser had an audio cue for when it reloads and it went off every 3 seconds and the IE window got me in before the Firefox window.

I can't speak to Safari. But it works on IE.

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 8:20 pm 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

The last couple times I've had IE and Firefox running the automatic refreshes simultaneously. Even though I start them at about the same time, IE completes in about 2 minutes while Firefox takes more like 10 or 15...which I just leave running as a curiosity since I've long since ordered in IE. But, yeah, the refresh function does not work.

Not to mention the idea that you're in some sort of a "queue" always struck me as totally and completely bogus. Ever since they first started the auto-refresh I said the so-called queueing is probably not possible using such a blunt instrument as a browser refresh, and the refreshing is more likely to just give you a random chance to break through with a lucky server request...no different than calling your local radio station to try to win tickets and randomly having your call squeeze through the competing calls. Refreshing a browser, just like calling your radio station faster and, most importantly, more often increases your chances but is by no means a guarantee that you'll get in at all or that someone who tries for the first time after you've tried 100 times won't get it on their first try through sheer luck while you continue to miss. I think that Matty tried to placate the users by telling them the refresh would work just because a refresh every 5 seconds is less strain on the server than people opening multiple browsers and refreshing as fast as they can click. It's true, from a certain point of view, that a slower refresh will help more people get figures faster by ultimately staving off a server crash, but it's clearly not putting people in an orderly line as advertised.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 3:05 am 
Damage Control

I should emphasize, as I mentioned earlier, this behavior is something I've witnessed since the very first Matty sale. Every month since then, the "refresh" function FAILS. I don't post this simply because of yesterday. I post this because it happens EVERY SINGLE TIME.

I think JediJones' explanation is right on the mark. A "refresh" function has no bearing on a queue. The two concepts are mutually exclusive. It's all seemingly random.

C.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 5:17 am 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

I use Safari on Mac also. If this is in fact the common denominator as to why we've been stuck "in queue" unnecessarily, then Matty should say something to that affect.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 9:24 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Worked well for me on IE from work, and it has worked well for me on Foxfire at home.

Didn't work as well for me at my parent's house using Safari in the past, but I did get in eventually.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 2:48 pm 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

I've been suspicious of the queue from day one. And my impatience helped me realize early on that its bogus. I'm on a mac and I've used both Safari and Firefox. Endless refreshes without entry. Then on a whim I cleared my cache, refreshed manually, and got right in. So definitely don't trust or wait for the Digital River Refresh Queue.