Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Dec 22, 2014 7:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: DC Comics Mez-its
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 3:19 pm 
Daniel Pickett

Interesting news about DC Comics and Mez-its.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main ... s-universe

For those of us that bought into Pocket Heroes and Mini-mates it might be a tough sell. And what does this mean for Blamoids?

Post subject: Re: DC Comics Mez-its
PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 4:07 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

I like a wide variety of styles of mass market vinyl figs (and of vinyl stuff in general), but DCD really failed (for me) with Blammoids (I just don't get the look/appeal) and Uni-Formz (too big, too costly, not enough of them). The 6" Mez-Itz are about as close as anyone has gotten to Mighty Muggs (and I have a bunch of those), so I'm potentially excited about 6" DC Mez-Itz. I wanna see what they're gonna look like. The Hellboy 6" Mez-Itz is pretty awesome, and the one with the comic-based paint scheme is more awesome.

If Mezco spends more of their energy with smaller ones, I'm less interested, but it will depend on what they end up looking like.

For now, I'm excited to see what they come up with.

[edit: also, with each wave of new Marvel minimates reveals I feel a little tinge of pain thinking about what kinds of DC characters we'd could have in that line with 35 waves and all kinds of box sets and exclusives....I wish there was some way to just magically make that happen and I would now own all the minimates that would have been made if they had just kept the line going]

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:17 pm 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I'm gonna take a "wait and see" approach to these. I've seen a few in TRU's and LCS's but have never seen one that was a "gotta have it" although Hellboy came close.

The Mighty Muggs were interesting but never really caught my eye either.

As Blammoids is apparently DOA (this coming from someone who was on pins and needles waiting for their release now not caring if I ever see another one of these again. Really should've been made of something more "rubbery" as the solicits ads claimed they would bounce :roll: :? ), I could use a new designer line of DCD figures. I agree that Uni-Formz are just misguided and I, too, feel the "empty spot" every time I look at a Marvel Mini-mate and realize there won't ever be anymore DC-mates (I miss the Pocket Heroes as well :( )

I'll probably pick and choose in the beginning and then go all-in hog wild somewhere around wave 3 and stalk eBay for the ones I'd previously passed on knowing the way I do things...

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:40 pm 
Excelsior!

I'm a little mad, to be honest. We can get Mez-Itz, yet we cannot get DC Minimate figures? Sure, Mezco allows for the designer vinyl, but if they create the small scale Mez-Itz -- which I happen to like and have plenty of NHL and other licensed Mez-Itzs -- it's like another snub at the fans of minimates. Perhaps if Diamond Select was allowed to make DC minimates like Mezco is making Mez-Itz, as opposed to DS making them for DC Direct...

...but ...Ah! That's the thing in the press release, isn't it?

"Mezco Toyz is proud to announce that is has signed a deal with Warner Bros. Consumer Products, on behalf of DC Comics..."

No where does it mention DC Direct. I was actually surprised to see this in the "DC Directives" forum and not "General Toy Talk." How closely tied DC Direct and Warner Bros. Consumer Products are, I don't know, but I do not believe they are the same entity, so this almost comes off as a snub towards DC Direct and their continuous failings in the market with Blammoids and Uni-Formz. That Warner Bros. Consumer Products signed the deal and seemingly bypassed DC Direct altogether is very interesting on the surface.

That said, if I could get a 18-Inch Batman (comic style) like the 18-Inch Hellboy?!? :shock: :o :shock: I'd be all over that! Too bad it's not a Mez-Itz and cannot be made under the deal :mad:. I would keep a curious eye on 3-Inch Mez-Itz, but skip the 6-Inch Mez-Itz, much the way I skipped Hasbro's Mighty Muggs. I like the look of them -- Mez-Itz Hellboy at TRU is pretty cool -- but I have no space, no money and no desire to get into another major line.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:20 am 
Former King of Posts

"This thread is useless without pictures!"

I know there are no pics of the DC stuff, but can someone post or link to some existing similar product so we have a reference?

Thanks.
(oh, and my LCS guy had this to say about Blamoids. Not selling well, so wait for a few months and pick them up for less than what they are selling for. My take? They do not work for every character, but it might be nice to have 1 or two, and Plastic Man would fit in nicely with a Plastic Man collection.)

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 3:44 am 
Loose, Missing Package

Never understood why so many companies don't put their web address in their press releases, especially a company like Mezco that doesn't have a simple mezco.com (or even mezcotoys.com) domain...

http://www.mezcotoyz.com/mezitz.html

...when a company intentionally (or have to because someone has tied up the simple version) misspells something in a domain name it's in their best interest to post the proper URL(s) every chance they get...

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 7:40 am 

It looks like Mezco's site pretty much only has the 6" stuff on the Mez-Itz page, so here are some links to Michael Crawford reviews of the smaller scale Mez-Itz:

Hellboy: http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_032604a.htm
Aliens: http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_050504b.htm
Cinema of Fear Series 2 (scroll down on this one to see some comparison shots with a few Marvel minimates thrown in): http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_061505.htm

Also, take a look at Ron's review (of ActionFigurePics) of the comic book 6" Hellboy Mez-Itz. His pics are great, and I'm actually more excited about this after looking at his review again. His review includes this image, and now I'm imagining Mezco doing some great stuff with these.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:15 am 
Daniel Pickett

Just quickly to be fair- This is not necessarily a DC Direct thing. In the press release it is mentioned that it is Warner Brothers Consumer Products that put the deal together, but I would imagine that at the end of the day that DC/DC Direct would have to approve each of these as the licensor... depending on how the deal is structured.

I wasn't trying to imply that Georg and Co we were responsible for these. I just know some fans feel burned by past efforts ending too soon and that it already seems to be a fairly crowded marketplace with Mattel's Batman Brave and the Bold Action League, DCD's Blammoids and Uni-Forms... and then past efforts like Pocket Heroes and DC Mini-mates.

It also doesn't state if these are the 5" Might-mugg-esge versions or the 2.5" versions.

Mezco was already doing Watchmen Movie Mez-its so that's how they have the "in" with WBCP.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/gall ... 3984-6.php

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2010 11:47 am 

JuliusMarx wrote:
It also doesn't state if these are the 5" Might-mugg-esge versions or the 2.5" versions.

Yeah, but the press release you posted does say the first two will be 6", and that they plan to release a variety of sizes.

Quote:
The first characters to be revealed to the public will be Batman and The Joker. The Dark Knight and The Clown Prince of Crime will make their debut at San Diego Comic Con in June 2010; the exclusive two pack of 6inch Mez-Itz is based on the classic comic book characters....Mezco Toyz plans to release several waves of Mez-Itz each year in a variety of sizes.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 10:57 am 
Infinite Hero

JuliusMarx wrote:
For those of us that bought into Pocket Heroes and Mini-mates it might be a tough sell.

Got that right. More like no sell (for me).

Now, had these been the original style Mez-its? Heck, yeah! Mezco's Dick Tracy, Aliens, Predator, Army of Darkness Mez-its rock!

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/author/jeffcope/

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 12:09 pm 

AFP did some snooping and found this image:
http://www.actionfigurepics.com/2010/06 ... eview-pics

I'm so-so on the Joker, and I like that Batman a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 4:53 pm 
Excelsior!

Eh. Not impressed, even if they make the little Mez-Itz. Batman looks more like camouflage Batman.

If fixed though, I would probably buy a 3-Inch Batman Mez-Itz, but I wouldn't and won't but 'all in' with these. Even if these turn out not to be DC Direct, which I questioned above due to the press release wording, I've been burned too much and too often by little DC Comics figures.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 8:37 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I'm still somewhat torn on these. I think it all ends up with how much space I have to display these so I can enjoy them. If these were available in the smaller size, I might pick them up. If only they were done as Mighty Muggs :(

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 9:09 am 

Wildcard wrote:
If only they were done as Mighty Muggs :(

Yeah, I would have loved to get a bunch of DC Mighty Muggs, but this looks like it will be the closest we get to that. I think these look pretty good with the Mighty Muggs (per that Hellboy pic above).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 05, 2010 2:23 pm 
Wonderdog

I am on the fence about these, I have to say. I've never been a big fan of either Mighty Muggs OR Mez-Its, so that might be part of my problem. The odd shape isn't quite "vinyl art" enough for me, and the character likenesses are merely OK. (Although my wife -- who could care less about comics -- thought the Iron Man Mighty Mugg was "adorable." But I digress.) Blammoids at least are interesting to me, if somewhat overpriced.

I would add my voice to those who wish that DC MiniMates hadn't died. I have them all -- just like the Pocket Heroes -- and I look at all the 30+ waves of Marvel MiniMates and wonder what we've missed out on.