Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:21 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: HUGE NEWS! Jakks to make NJPW Figures!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:19 am 
serves the Otter

Jakks has just announced that they'll be making NJPW figures. Right now it looks like the figures will be limited, but they have the full rights to make anything NJPW. They'll have to approach the wrestlers on a case by case basis like they do the legends though: Jakks to make NJPW

Post subject: Re: HUGE NEWS! Jakks to make NJPW Figures!
PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 1:09 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

I like how Jakks new non-WWE legends line could end up being more epic than their WWE line.
With them being able to make wrestlers from TNA, NWS, and NJPW. Could be really awesome.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:50 am 
serves the Otter

Well I think the one positive thing for certain, at least for wrestling fans, is that Jakks knows the wrestling business. They learned what works very well and they also already have a lot of established tooling. Rather than just sit back and regret their loss, they're doing a lot of proactive stuff that's keeping them in the wrestling game. No two ways about it, that's great for collectors and fans.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 7:39 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Who has AAA now? If it is Jakks, they are going to dominate. Not that they aren't now, but hell man ...

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 1:37 pm 
serves the Otter

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Who has AAA now? If it is Jakks, they are going to dominate. Not that they aren't now, but hell man ...

I believe Playmates has AAA. I haven't heard anything more on that though since the original announcement. Jakks should have picked up AAA, but maybe they'll pick up CMLL. I want to see what Playmates can do with AAA, because there are a lot of colorful characters in AAA that I think would sell to kids even if they don't know the characters. I also think they could sell a ton to the Latino community. Of course Playmates isn't known for it's fan interaction, so it's anybody's guess if they're still working on them.

I think they made some Shrek wrestling stuff before, though. Not sure.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2010 8:03 pm 
Unbreakable

Oh please make a Muta and Masahiro Chono in deluxe articulation.

I thought Playmates scrapped their AAA line. Or at least pushed it off indefinately.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 6:32 am 
Fugitive Dust

bnjmnrlyr wrote:

Ok...I don't want to rain too much on your parade, but how is Jakks dominating now? TNA is not nearly the license WWE is obviously, and the actual TNA product is mediocre at best. The LOTR line is using the those terrible RA body types, and one has to wonder how many big names Jakks will have access to without the WWE behind them now. I'm a big puro fan, but I do not see the NJPW license meaning all that much, if anything, for Jakks in the U.S. market.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 6:21 pm 
serves the Otter

The vast majority of wrestling collectors, prefer the RA bodies, actually.

That body style has won every poll.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:29 pm 
Fugitive Dust

Maniac Joker wrote:

Please tell me you aren't being serious with that. Are you talking about those polls on wrestlingfigs.com? The vast majority of people who voted in those polls are little kids, and people with IQ's in the low 20's. Jakks is an absolutely horrible company, that puts out a terrible product. They think wrestling & UFC fans will buy anything, which is why the TNA & UFC figures are of such low quality.

Your statement about the vast majority of wrestling collectors is rather silly. The vast majority of wrestling figure buyers have never even heard of sites like wrestlingfigs.com. Mattel makes a much better product, and in just the first wave of Legends, Mattel has already made 5 Legends figures better than their Jakks counterparts, and one Jakks never gave us.

The RA body is so antiquated that it should be retired. Even Jakks most current body type hasn't seen any type of improvement since being developed 5 years ago. I really question whether Jakks will be making wrestling figures 12-18 months from now.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 6:39 am 
Unbreakable

Maniac Joker wrote:

Things I wonder about these polls are: Do they REALLY like the Ruthless Aggression body style or do they just prefer the newer stuff to come out in that style because a majority of their collection already utilizes that same style?

I know there was a collective sigh of relief when the NWA Legends line was shown as RA style because it would fit in with the Classic Superstars line.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:00 am 
Fugitive Dust

kevfett wrote:
Maniac Joker wrote:

Things I wonder about these polls are: Do they REALLY like the Ruthless Aggression body style or do they just prefer the newer stuff to come out in that style because a majority of their collection already utilizes that same style?

I know there was a collective sigh of relief when the NWA Legends line was shown as RA style because it would fit in with the Classic Superstars line.

That's exactly it. I'd say an overwhelming majority of the people who want the RA body type to continue just don't have the money to start a new collection. That's understandable. The problem is that they are still a very small portion of the collecting community. Jakks has no real top line wrestling licenses right now. They need to catch the eye of the majority of the collecting community with a quality product. Using body types developed 5 & 8 years ago just won't do it. Mattel has the license for the #1 wrestling organization, and they're making the best wrestling figures ever made. Jakks simply cannot compete.