Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Anyone know where to get JLU Hal Jordan heads?
PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:21 pm 
Dog Squeezer

titanfan1989 wrote:
Spymagician,
I sent you an email. It may say Titansfan1989, it's actually titanfan1989. Also, how do I pop heads off JLU? Can anyone tell me?

Hey There!

Got your email! I'll shoot you details!

As for how to pop heads off JLU, Some folks like the "Boil and Pop" method, but if you're doing a permanent replacement I find it much easier to just cut the head off and then poke the remaining stem down into the body. It'll rattle about, but unless that bothers you a lot it's the easiest way.

As for my v3 head, after you remove the John Stewart head the Hal head will just plug in!

Spy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:51 pm 
PVC

I just wanted to give a big shout out to SpyMagician. I got my Hal Jordan head in the mail today, and it is a thing of true beauty! THANK YOU SPYMAGICIAN! You're unbelievably talented ... and unbelievably cool!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 4:35 am 
ABS

How ya been Spymagician?

long time no see. Yo It's Taichi/ Speedy, the smackhead formerly of the RTM boards.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 8:42 am 
Cold-cast

what's the boil and pop method?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2010 11:41 am 
Dog Squeezer

Mister Blisterfists: Hey bro! Great to hear from ya!

Zim: Well, I don't use it myself, so I'm probably not the best one to explain, but bascially Boil and Pop is a way of removing Action figure limbs. From what I understand you boil the figure in water to soften the PVC parts and then pull them out. If the plastic is soft enough the plug will pop out of the hole rather than ripping.

Scott Rogers could explain it better as he's a master of the Boil and Pop.

Personally, I prefer the "crack it open possibly including whacking it with a shoe" method but that's just me... LOL.

Spy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:11 pm 
PVC

Do these come painted? I seriously couldn't paint my way out of a wet paper bag.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:19 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

MYXLPLYX wrote:
Do these come painted? I seriously couldn't paint my way out of a wet paper bag.

He sells them both painted and unpainted. If you want one to go on the SDCC Sinestro body buy a painted one because Spy matches up the colors perfectly. Check into them with him. You can't go wrong.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:26 pm 
active in the community

I'm placing my order with SpyMagician tonight and i cant wait to see the finished product!

My JLU Most wanted: Power Girl, Jade, Starfire, Donna Troy, Red Arrow, Beast Boy, Superboy, Wonder Girl, Robin and or Red Robin, (FUTURE VERSIONS) Static , Micron, Barda, (adult) Green Lantern Kai-ro, Aquagirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:52 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

GLantern926 wrote:
I'm placing my order with SpyMagician tonight and i cant wait to see the finished product!

It's great. You'd think Mattel reissued Hal all over again. Remember there are different styles of heads. Some fit the classic John Stewart single, some fit on an Amazo buck or Atom buck and some pop right on the figures from last years GL 3-pack exclusive. Let him know which one you want.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:24 pm 
active in the community

I'm leaning towards the head that fits on the sinestro 3 pack from sdcc...however i did ask if his hair could be painted more brown than the reddish brown that ive seen....what do u think? I cant decide between that head or the one thats fits on classic john stewart.

My JLU Most wanted: Power Girl, Jade, Starfire, Donna Troy, Red Arrow, Beast Boy, Superboy, Wonder Girl, Robin and or Red Robin, (FUTURE VERSIONS) Static , Micron, Barda, (adult) Green Lantern Kai-ro, Aquagirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:35 pm 
my tummy itches

GLantern926 wrote:
I'm leaning towards the head that fits on the sinestro 3 pack from sdcc...however i did ask if his hair could be painted more brown than the reddish brown that ive seen....what do u think? I cant decide between that head or the one thats fits on classic john stewart.

Best as I understand the Sinestro SDCC 3-pack body is the same body as the real Holiday Hal. The Stewart body has the sculpted in costume lines and is smaller. I went with the head that fits the Sinestro body.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 3:49 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

Yeah, the Sinestro body is the real deal. That's the one to go with, IMO.

EDIT: These pics might be a good reference:

Hal in his brief appearance on show next to Holiday Hal

Sinestro body with Spy's Hal head next to a John Stewart (notice how the chest logo looks on the Sinestro body compared to the cartoon/Holiday Hal/John Stewart):

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:21 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Yeah I'd go with (and went with personally) the head for the SDCC Sinestro. I did also have him do me one for a custom Hal body I had that is identical to Holiday Hal in that they have the same insignia on the chest. It too looked fantastic but I still prefer the Sinestro body + head.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 7:07 pm 
MINT!

Some more reference.
Here are both of them (with my first custom), next to Ham Salad's

PostPosted: Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:23 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

The boil-and-pop method is exactly as Spy described it: Simply boil some water, immerse your figure for a minute or so, and let the plastic of the head soften. Grasp the figure (USE A TOWEL to protect your hands), and pull the head off.

You can boil water on the stove or microwave it in a microwave-safe cup. PLEASE note that hot water will work its way into the figure's torso, and will come out when the head comes off. I can't stress enough to use a towel or something to protect your hands.

If a minute doesn't soften the head enough, you can go longer. Experiment a bit if you can, preferably on old, cheap figures you don't want or got from Big Lots, before trying it on the figure you want.

Finally, it may not work. JLU plastic is so soft and cheap now that it's almost impossible to get the head off without tearing the neck post. I haven't been successful in a couple of years now. So you may very well get the part rattling inside anyway. I've gone to slicing the neck post and attaching the new head to the remaining stump (I don't like the rattle), but that's not always feasible and I certainly wouldn't suggest it with the SpyMagician Hal head.

And yes, I own one and the Batman Beyond Stalker, too. Spy does first-class work.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 66 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next