Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What lines did you stop collecting and why?
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:27 pm 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

I stopped LOTR shortly after the movie was over. It was great, there were more obscure characters like hama, gamling, elendil, gothmog, etc. you thought TB would never do in their trilogy line. But I just lost interest once the movie was over. Plus the fact that there was just too much new characters to buy and I had a tight budget.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 10:09 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

Disney: The whole down flow of the quality of the films since Mulan left me feeling dry. I do pick up some small things now and then but not on the scale I did before.

LOTR: Too little, too slow, too many rehashes.

Star Wars: I haven't dropped it but i stopped trying to be a completist after the Flashback wave. I think my passion for the license soured after Episode 1.

Star Wars 12": I can't believe it took me that long to realise how ugly they were.

Pokemon: The numbers were just overwhelming after a while.

Simpsons: 3 words: Kang & Kodos

Tomy's Magical Disney Collection: I blame Jason for getting me into this one. :-) I decided that my Disney days were over. I'll only get them selectively.

McFarlane stuff: Collecting his stuff in the 90's left me with a bad aftertaste. They're toys that I have no emotional attachment to. They're just a bunch of ugly things now.

Bionicles: I really like these. I still do! But again, not much personal attachment, and they do get expensive if you're really into the whole customising aspect.

Transformers reissues: Takara's moved away from the G1 original line up, which is what really holds my interest.

Parts for customs: Not a normal line, but I did have this bad habit of buying cheap, junky figures for customising purposes. Eventually my parts outgrew any real custom work, and I've been trying to stop myself. I've got bags full of FC bits, naked dolls, accessories, decapitated Star Wars and DC figures...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 5:49 am 
shirtless hugger

Transformers - BT, Alt, Armada, ENG, RID, GF ~ All - Getting old. Most happy with old stuff I already have. No need to expand.

Star Wars - Cutting down - Only collect Boba Fett stuff now :)

LOTR - Too many repeats.

Comics - Too little space, too expensive.

DC Direct - Selective purchases only. Mostly only Batman stuff.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 6:02 am 
Fugitive Dust

I'm gonna go way back - and post my brief history. Because I know you all are interested. :roll:

Little People by Fisher Price begat
Masters of the Universe, and then
G.I. Joe came out and took over my childhood,
M.A.S.K. was a pretty big line for me as well, and I bought some
Super Powers and
Secret Wars figs, then came the waves and waves of
Toy Biz Super Hero figs, and quite a few
McFarlane/Spawn figures, and other than a brief dallyance with
Star Wars Episode One figures, it's been mainly
Marvel Legends/Marvel Movie sprinkled with a few
DC Direct figures all the way.

And throughout it all, there are dozens and dozens of random figures from random lines that I picked up, and I still continue to get what strikes my fancy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 7:26 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

I was going to put down masters of the universe. But technically it's not really my decision. Since retailers decided not to carry it here and sent them overseas. They had nice prototypes like sourceress. But since I'm no longer collecting it because I refuse to pay extra $ to get them overseas, I guess I've dropped this line too.

And the comic Batman line too I guess. I was looking forward to the new wave, especially Bane. But never did find the single packed nightwing or bruce wayne so I gave up on that too.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2005 10:06 am 
Former King of Posts

SuperPowers - they stopped making them.
Total Justice/JLA- they stopped making them.

Comics - anytime the story got excessively grossly violent.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2005 10:48 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Mattel 6 inch Batman line... because they quit selling them on my continent. :roll:

And I won't pay the scalpers.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2005 10:47 pm 
Dog Squeezer

Bionicle!

I loved this line. I loved customizing and making super articulated, heavily armored, alternate version figures and beasts.

But two things REALLY killed it for me.

1. No more Mask Packs. The rainbow of colors of masks made for tons of variants and custom building combos. What do we have now? Stupid discs and then even stupider rotors! With "online codes?" THAT'S a selling point? You gotta be kidding me! I can't even build with those worthless pieces of plastic.

2. Odd colors. Originally Bionicle used classic lego and technic colors. Then they started using new colors which weren't different, but just a shade off so you could not match color with your old pieces! (the new dark grey that doesn't match the old Dark Grey is a real pain!)

So Lego killed Bionicle for me by making it hard for me to do the ONE thing ALL Lego toys should let you do: Build and combine sets as you please!

SpyMagician

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 7:24 am 
Hat Pooper

I stopped collecting certainToy Biz line of figures. They way they make them now with all the articulation makes them hard to play with and easy to wear out. I have bought a few over the year but found them disappointing.

The Marvel Legends lines look good but when you open them and play with them something usually breaks. My kids don't like them.

The Spiderman and Friends line is a different story. It has the right amount of articulation. My kids enjoy playing with them and they look nice on display. even my wife thinks they are alright and she doesn't liketoys at all.

I also quit collecting DC Direct due to the same reason. Example. I open my Jack Knight Starman and his arm broke. He sits in a ziplog bag in the attic. Sad. This is another line where the toys look great but don't play well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:52 am 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

The WWF/WWE action figures. As the quality of the on screen product has declined, so has my interest in the toys.

Also I seem to be coasting to a halt on Marvel Legends. I've always been annoyed by the fact that I never found a Red Skull, and now even regular releases in the line are impossible to find. I've never even seen Deadpool, Juggernaut, Phoenix, Vision, Hawkeye, Apocalypse, Dr. Strange, War Machine, and others I've probably forgotten about. When I can't find that much of a line I want to collect, maybe I should just not try.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:58 pm 
active in the community

Star Wars, around Episode I. I just kinda lost hardcore interest in anything Star Wars after Episode I let me down.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:12 pm 
proverbial old fart

TransGoJoeBot wrote:
The WWF/WWE action figures. As the quality of the on screen product has declined, so has my interest in the toys.

Also I seem to be coasting to a halt on Marvel Legends. I've always been annoyed by the fact that I never found a Red Skull, and now even regular releases in the line are impossible to find. I've never even seen Deadpool, Juggernaut, Phoenix, Vision, Hawkeye, Apocalypse, Dr. Strange, War Machine, and others I've probably forgotten about. When I can't find that much of a line I want to collect, maybe I should just not try.

Where do you live?

The ML series VII & VIII were as rare as hen't teeth at Wal-Mart but IX (aka: the Galactus series) is everywhere now... TRU, Target, Wal-Mart and comic shops.

If you need something and have no sources let me know and I'll be glad to help you out.

Glenn

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:40 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Star Wars - It just got to be too much to keep up with.

McFarlane - I stopped reading Spawn and didn;t see the need to get toys of weird characters that McFarlane and co. pulled out of their ass.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 4:58 pm 
shirtless hugger

I quit marvel legends about the same time I started collecting them. The ones that I enevitable want are chase or variant, and are too hard to find and too expensive to buy from ebay.

I quit the batman comic line that mattel produced, but that is more mattel's fault for discontinuing the line than it is my decision to stop collecting it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2005 6:45 pm 
PVC

Dare wrote:
Simpsons: 3 words: Kang & Kodos

What about them?