Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:57 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Lord Mudd Likes These Figures Part 1
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:52 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

LordMudd wrote:
I consider it superior to Mattel's DCIH, DCUC, and JLU, Hasbro's Marvel AND G.I.Joe, and Playmate's Star Trek

This is the issue right here - this is your opinion, not a stated fact. Asking for anyone to prove otherwise is nonsense, as you have obviously already formed your opinion.

In all of my hundreds of Mattel DCUC & JLU, and Hasbro GIJoe, Transformers, and Marvel figures, I've not had one single figure break. So I'm not sure where you are getting the "inferior product" claim...

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject: Re: Lord Mudd Likes These Figures
PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:58 am 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

LordMudd wrote:
As for choosing not to believe me, that could almost be the same as calling me a liar.

Cool it, Mudd. You are creating a confrontation where none exists.

In a nutshell, you've stated your opinion that M&C Toys PTE figures are superior to "anything on the market now." You are free to feel that way and I'm more than happy to read your reasons for feeling that way.

Others have differing opinions and have stated them. They are entitled to express those opinions without you conflagrating it into a perceived personal attack.

And for the record, as nice as the PTE figures may be, I'll gladly put it up against any recent 3 3/4" Hasbro Star Wars figure to compare quality.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:00 am 
Infinite Hero

Cantina-Dan wrote:
And for the record, as nice as the PTE figures may be, I'll gladly put it up against any recent 3 3/4" Hasbro Star Wars figure to compare quality.

...or the new Pursuit of Cobra GI Joe figures, for that matter.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/author/jeffcope/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:06 am 
The Last Word

LordMudd wrote:
I would not call a figure junky when the ankle joint, for example, is on par in stregnth with the same joint on Mattel's Atom Smasher BaF, at 1/3 the size. I am saying if a better product can be made, and this figure is proof it can, isn't Mattel a big enough company to be making a better product?

Look, if you're happy with the PTE stuff, that's great for you. It's not "proof" of any superiority, though. The ankle articulation on the PTE figures is ugly, and I like figures that actually, you know, look good. What they're doing resembles what Hasbro was doing five or six years ago. I don't have any problems with ankle joints on any of my Hasbro or Mattel figures, and I wouldn't sacrifice the appearance of their products for extra "strength" for which I have no use.

LordMudd wrote:
Do you feel you deserve a better product or do you prefer to buy inferior goods just because it has a name on it?

I don't buy anything, "because it has a name on it." I buy action figures that are designed and sculpted well, and the PTE stuff absolutely does not qualify. I'm sure they're great for a parent looking to give a kid toy soldiers on the cheap, but they're nothing I would ever consider collecting.

LordMudd wrote:
Then buy one and see for yourself.

I have. You may have just discovered these, but they've been out there for some time. I've picked up a few sets for the accessories, both online and from Big Lots, and I threw the figures in the trash. The brick wall dio pieces in some of the sets they have are kinda neat, too, especially for the price. I'll probably pick up some of those in the near future, but the figures will get tossed.

LordMudd wrote:
As for choosing not to believe me, that could almost be the same as calling me a liar. I do not lie, for reasons I have explained in my swap meet thread, so if you say I am wrong, you better be able to prove it. Break out that wallet and go buy one. Test it yourself.

Hey, if you want to take things personally or continue misinterpreting what people say, that's on you. It's not a matter of believing you; I've been buying M&C Toys products for a few years. I'm perfectly familiar with them. The figures look awful, and the sculpts don't come anywhere near the standards of modern action figures. That doesn't need to be proven; all it takes is a pair of eyes. The fact that the ankles are articulated using a different (and obsolete at that scale) construction method does not make the product "superior." Quality is not solely defined by ankle joint strength.

The Superfly wrote:
In all of my hundreds of Mattel DCUC & JLU, and Hasbro GIJoe, Transformers, and Marvel figures, I've not had one single figure break. So I'm not sure where you are getting the "inferior product" claim...

I have hundreds of 25th/ME/ROC JOE figures alone, and of all the figures I've opened, one broke. That's a track record that speaks for itself. I have fifty or so Marvel Universe figures, and one broke. I have forty-something DCIH figures, and one broke. Part of the reason the newer joints break is that manufacturers have gotten better at blending articulation without compromising the sculpt, and if that means one breaks here and there, I am more than willing to make that trade. Again, stuff happens in manufacturing. Che sarà sarà.

Jeff Cope wrote:
Cantina-Dan wrote:

...or the new Pursuit of Cobra GI Joe figures, for that matter.

Hear, hear.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:10 am 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

Which is exactly what I am saying do. Prove me wrong. Until then, I will believe what I know is in my hand, not someone else's opinion of what is in my hand.

Besides, I am getting more posts out of this. :twisted:

but the title of the thread could have been worded better.

CCC.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:24 am 

Caped Crusader wrote:
Look, if you're happy with the PTE stuff, that's great for you. It's not "proof" of any superiority, though. The ankle articulation on the PTE figures is ugly, and I like figures that actually, you know, look good. What they're doing resembles what Hasbro was doing five or six years ago. I don't have any problems with ankle joints on any of my Hasbro or Mattel figures, and I wouldn't sacrifice the appearance of their products for extra "strength" for which I have no use.

Hey, if you want to take things personally or continue misinterpreting what people say, that's on you. It's not a matter of believing you; I've been buying M&C Toys products for a few years. I'm perfectly familiar with them. The figures look awful, and the sculpts don't come anywhere near the standards of modern action figures. That doesn't need to be proven; all it takes is a pair of eyes. The fact that the ankles are articulated using a different (and obsolete at that scale) construction method does not make the product "superior." Quality is not solely defined by ankle joint strength.

The Superfly wrote:

I have hundreds of 25th/ME/ROC JOE figures alone, and of all the figures I've opened, one broke. That's a track record that speaks for itself. I have fifty or so Marvel Universe figures, and one broke. I have forty-something DCIH figures, and one broke. Part of the reason the newer joints break is that manufacturers have gotten better at blending articulation without compromising the sculpt, and if that means one breaks here and there, I am more than willing to make that trade. Again, stuff happens in manufacturing. Che sarà sarà.

I said it was built better, and if a generic company can build a better figure, why can't Mattel. I never addressed the sculpt. If Mattel could combine their sculpt with PTE construction, they would have the best figure out there. As to breakage, I had 3 PE figures break in a 2 month span, and these are the only unintentional breaks I have ever had, and that is just me. I still see people reporting breaks months later. Superfly, I wish I had your luck. I don't think it is possible to accidentally break a PTE figure. Maybe it was once, but not any more.

CCC.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:35 am 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

Everyone else has covered the rest of your post, but I'm curious about this part:

LordMudd wrote:
I do not lie, for reasons I have explained in my swap meet thread
OK, a man who never lies. So I looked at your swap meet thread and all it had was this:

LordMudd wrote:
For anyone considering a trade with me, I am a Leatherman, I always keep my word, and I expect the same in return
OK, a Leatherman. So I googled that and the only thing that seemed to apply in any possible way was this:

Quote:
"Leatherman: A member of a homosexual male subculture that grew out of male-only motorcycle clubs formed by homosexual veterans returning from World War II, stressing masculinity in contradiction to androgynous and effeminate gay stereotypes, characterized by a fetish for leather gear and wear, a sense of hierarchy, and a fraternal, militaristic code of protocol and behavior, often involving BDSM practices."
So are you saying you never lie because you are in a group that strictly follows a "militaristic code of protocal and behavior", and that includes never telling a lie?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 10:42 am 
The Last Word

LordMudd wrote:
I said it was built better, and if a generic company can build a better figure, why can't Mattel. I never addressed the sculpt.

But again, quality is not solely defined by ankle joint strength. Using older (and again, obsolete at that scale) ankle articulation does not make the figure "better."

LordMudd wrote:
If Mattel could combine their sculpt with PTE construction, they would have the best figure out there.

Except that other manufacturers have already moved on from the construction method used on the ankles of those figures. I never, ever want Hasbro or Mattel to start looking at M&C Toys' figures for inspiration. When that happens, as I said earlier, I'll collect something else.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:38 am 

xrmc20 wrote:
Quote:
"Leatherman: A member of a homosexual male subculture that grew out of male-only motorcycle clubs formed by homosexual veterans returning from World War II, stressing masculinity in contradiction to androgynous and effeminate gay stereotypes, characterized by a fetish for leather gear and wear, a sense of hierarchy, and a fraternal, militaristic code of protocol and behavior, often involving BDSM practices."
So are you saying you never lie because you are in a group that strictly follows a "militaristic code of protocal and behavior", and that includes never telling a lie?

That is part of the protocol, the first part I learned. Leathermen do not lie, Leathermen always keep their word. Fail to do this and you are stripped of your leather. That description, which by no stretch of the imagination could even remotely be called a definition, was clearly not written by a Leatherman, or one familiar with the Leather Community.

CCC.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:46 am 

Caped Crusader wrote:
Except that other manufacturers have already moved on from the construction method used on the ankles of those figures. I never, ever want Hasbro or Mattel to start looking at M&C Toys' figures for inspiration. When that happens, as I said earlier, I'll collect something else.

Well from my personal experience with Mattel product, I would say that is still in the experimental stages. I have avoided the Marvel for financial reasons but got an Iron Man 2 figure for the accessory. The ankles do not move and are positioned such that the figure cannot stand without its base. I doubt I will buy into this line, you never get a second chance to make a first impression.

CCC.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 11:55 am 
The Last Word

LordMudd wrote:
Well from my personal experience with Mattel product, I would say that is still in the experimental stages.

Of course it is. They haven't been producing figures with that kind of articulation in this scale for very long at all. They're learning as they go.

LordMudd wrote:
I have avoided the Marvel for financial reasons...

But you said:

LordMudd wrote:
I consider it superior to Mattel's DCIH, DCUC, and JLU, Hasbro's Marvel AND G.I.Joe

If you don't own any of them, on exactly what was this determination based? A guess? What about G.I. JOE? Do you collect those?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:19 pm 

I have several of the older ones, I was not impressed by any of the new ones, and I do have a few Star Wars.

Personally, I don't like being part of someone else's learning curve, especially when it means you have to deal with store personnel who are out of the loop.

CCC.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:34 pm 
The Last Word

LordMudd wrote:
I have several of the older ones, I was not impressed by any of the new ones

So you were saying the PTE toys are "superior" to figures with which you have no experience? Okay. :?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:43 pm 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

LordMudd wrote:
one familiar with the Leather Community.

Well now I gotta know. What is the Leather Community?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 25, 2010 12:51 pm 
Infinite Hero

Cantina-Dan wrote:
LordMudd wrote:
one familiar with the Leather Community.

Well now I gotta know. What is the Leather Community?

Read a bit further up on this page, it's all there.

I gotta my finger is gettin' mighty twitchy over the 'lock' button. This thread has gotten beyond ridiculous.

Mudd, you like PTE figures and think they're the end all/be all of action figures. Super. Enjoy them. Others, including myself, don't feel the same..so we will enjoy the figures that we enjoy collecting.

'Nuff said.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/author/jeffcope/