Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:02 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:45 am 
The Last Word

The_Donster wrote:
Yeah, but so was Ang Lee's Hulk CC and they didn't do a complete reboot with The Incredible Hulk :wink:

1) Hulk dogs and Banner's father as Absorbing Man aside, Ang Lee's film was far better than anything Tim Story has ever directed.

2) It was a complete reboot, and an entirely new origin was briefly explored during the opening credits.

The_Donster wrote:
It would be a complete waste of time to try and reinvest the audience with yet another origin film. It would be one thing if there was enough distance between the movies like there was with Batman & Robin and Batman Begins, but there hasn't. There was almost a decade between the 2 films and only 2 since ROTSS. I'm not saying there wasn't any missteps. As I said in my previous post, I didn't like Doom's portrayal either, but is a reboot really necessary?

Absolutely, but a reboot doesn't require a new origin story. Just because that was the formula for Batman Begins, that doesn't mean it's necessary for every franchise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 8:27 am 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

Caped Crusader wrote:
a reboot doesn't require a new origin story

That's what I was thinking. The story can have a different starting point and work fine.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2009 7:57 pm 
5" Scale

Sorry, but they weren't bad movies, but I'll comment more when more news is forthcoming. At the moment we're getting pretty close to "What if" territory :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:59 am 
The Last Word

xrmc20 wrote:
That's what I was thinking. The story can have a different starting point and work fine.

That's exactly what Warner Bros. should do with a Superman reboot. Either start with him as recently established in Metropolis, or even with him first arriving in the city. There's no reason to rehash the whole baby-in-a-spaceship and growing-up-on-a-farm stories.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:39 am 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

The_Donster wrote:
Sorry, but they weren't bad movies

That's certainly not an objective fact. :) And I'm honestly curious about what was good about them.

I just did not enjoy them much at all, and if I just sit and think about what I like about them or would want to keep, the only thing I can come up with is that Evans was pretty good. There is not one scene that comes to mind as being memorable or enjoyable (I know that's just me, but I'm also pretty forgiving with comic book super hero movies, I don't hold them to any crazy standard or expectation).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:33 am 
The Last Word

xrmc20 wrote:
And I'm honestly curious about what was good about them.

The closing credits were certainly a blessing. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 5:52 pm 
5" Scale

I think what I enjoyed most was the dynamics of the actors, they worked well together. I also like that my wife sat through the movie and didn't have to know 40+ years of continuity to follow along. For those of you that didn't like it, that's cool. It will be interesting the direction they take the character and storyline in the relaunch. Speaking of which, is there any particular direction or story you'd like to see on the big screen? I know I wouldn't have minded seeing a Silver Surfer solo movie. Given the state of things economically, it wouldbe interesting to see his take on humanity. As for the FF, I'm just hoping it's something original and they don't try to tackle anything we've read. Because we all know that the fanboys are going to pan it and it will turn into a box office hit.

Post subject: Re: Fantastic Four Reboot
PostPosted: Wed Jun 09, 2010 11:00 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Possible Title for the Fantastic Four Reboot

by SuperHeroHype

Jun 9th, 2010

The franchise Reborn

In September of 2009, it was revealed that 20th Century Fox has started developing a reboot of the "Fantastic Four" movie franchise. Akiva Goldsman was hired to produce and Michael Green (upcoming Green Lantern) would write the script.

Now comes word from Ain't It Cool News that the title for the reboot may be Fantastic Four Reborn. A quick look at the WHOIS database of registered domain names reveals that 20th Century Fox has indeed registered FantasticFourReborn.com (it doesn't go anywhere yet).

Studios often register multiple domain names for each property to make sure they get what they want, but this is certainly an indicator that it is a title they are considering.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:59 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Fantastic Rumor

Two names are currently in the frame for Reed Richards/Mr. Fantastic.

UK, August 23, 2010

by Chris Tilly IGN UK

With The Fantastic Four reboot inching ever closer, rumors are circulating concerning the identity of the actor who will step into Ioan Gruffudd's shoes as Reed Richards/Mr. Fantastic.

According to ScreenRant, the two thesps currently in the running are Adrien Brody and Jonathan Rhys Meyers.

Oscar-winner Brody recently made the move into action star territory with Predators, while his name has also been mentioned in conjunction with the title role in Edgar Wright's forthcoming Ant-Man.

Rhys-Myers himself recently appeared in action flick From Paris With Love, while he is probably best known for his work in the critically acclaimed TV drama The Tudors.

So sounds like 20th Century Fox is casting serious for the forthcoming flick - do you think that's the right direction for the franchise to take? And if so can you see either of these guys as Mr. Fantastic?

In related news, the site also reports that the title is no longer Fantastic Four Reborn, though again this is a rumor, so watch this space.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 4:40 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Is Sue Storm Out of My League?

Former X-Men: First Class actress rumored for Fantastic Four reboot.

August 24, 2010

by Jim Vejvoda

She is no longer playing Emma Frost in X-Men: First Class, but 20th Century Fox is said to still be keen on putting British actress Alice Eve in one of their Marvel movies.

Comic Book Movie claims that the studio is eying Eve (She's Out of My League) for the role of Sue Storm, a.k.a. the Invisible Woman, in their reboot Fantastic Four Reborn. Jessica Alba played Sue in the last two F4 films.

This comes on the heels of the same site's rumor that Eve may play a villain in The Avengers. Eve was previously a contender to play the love interest in Captain America: The First Avenger.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 5:01 pm 
Benevolent Barkeep, Bouncer, Bulwark

SDcomics wrote:
Adrien Brody

YES!

SDcomics wrote:
Jonathan Rhys Meyers

NO!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:46 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Doctor Doom's True Blood

The rumor says a small screen vampire may terrorize the F4 reboot.

August 30, 2010

by Jim Vejvoda

The rumor mill has been busy lately spouting off alleged contenders for Fantastic Four Reborn, Fox's proposed big screen reboot of Marvel's first family, and today's buzz is about who the studio is reportedly eying to play the evil Doctor Doom.

According to Comic Book Movie, English actor Stephen Moyer, who plays vampire Bill Compton on the HBO series True Blood, is up for the role of Latverian despot Victor Von Doom. The site claims an "offer is currently out" to the actor, and that "Doom will be showcased as the ruler of Latveria and a master of the mystic arts" in the film.

Furthermore, CBM claims male model-turned-90210 actor Kevin Pennington is the front runner to play Johnny Storm, a.k.a. the Human Torch, and that the studio favors previously rumored contenders Adrien Brody and Alice Eve as Mr. Fantastic and the Invisible Woman, respectively.

The site also reports that Fox wants Fantastic Four Reborn out in theaters by summer 2012, where it would compete against The Avengers and the Spider-Man reboot.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2010 1:51 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

24 Reasons Why Thing Will Die Hard

It's clobberin' time for the Fantastic rumor mill.

August 30, 2010

by Jim Vejvoda

20th Century Fox is reportedly considering two of their biggest action stars to voice The Thing in Fantastic Four Reborn.

Comic Book Movie claims that the studio wants John McClane himself, Bruce Willis, to voice The Thing, who they say will be entirely CG-animated this time around. Meanwhile, Screenrant claims that Jack Bauer -- a.k.a. actor Kiefer Sutherland -- is also in the running to voice Ben Grimm.

CBM also reports that Fox's short list of director candidates include Joe Carnahan (The A-Team), David Yates (the last few Harry Potter films), and James McTeigue (V for Vendetta).

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:21 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Chronicle's Josh Trank Eyed for Fantastic Four

by SuperHeroHype

January 13, 2012

It's been some time since it was first announced that 20th Century Fox is planning a reboot of the Fantastic Four film franchise. Today, Variety has an update with word that the studio is eyeing Josh Trank as a potential helmer.

Trank makes his big screen directorial debut with Chronicle on February 3rd and, with it, already has a connection to both the studio and the superhero genre.

Fantastic Four, Marvel's self-proclaimed "World's Greatest Comic Magazine", first hit the stands in 1961. Its debut is generally considered the beginning of the "silver age" of comics and the real beginning of the Marvel Comics universe that exists to this day.

The property has been adapted twice before for the big screen with Fantastic Four in 2005 and Fantastic Four: Rise of the Silver Surfer in 2007. Both were directed by Tim Story. A 1994 feature-length version was also infamously produced by Roger Corman and never released.

Trank's involvement in the reboot is likely contingent on Chronicle's box office performance and a decision is not expected to be reached until next month at the earliest.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:36 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Chronicle Director Comments on the Fantastic Four Rumor

by SuperHeroHype

January 27, 2012

Earlier this month, Variety reported that 20th Century Fox was eyeing Chronicle director Josh Trank to take on the Fantastic Four reboot. SuperHeroHype got a chance today to talk to Trank, who told us that's news to him, however.

"I know as much as you guys know. I'm totally serious. I know as much as you," he said. "I saw that leak online and I was like, 'Um, okay, I'm trying to finish Chronicle right now.' This is weird. There's nothing to say, 'Chronicle' is exactly the kind of superhero movie that I wanted to make and, going forward, I want to have some original ideas and different things I'm working on."

So there's still the possibility that the studio might be interested in having him on board, but they haven't communicated that to him if so, obviously.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 148 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 10  Next