Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Vintage Guilt?
PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 11:08 am 
Cold-cast

Some of your stories helped me get past the guilt.

I just saved a World of Springfield: Krusty Burger from destruction. Doing this required me to open the package!

Those dioramas run on AA batteries. Unchecked, and in the wrong situation, the batteries can corrode, destroying the toy! Thankfully, I was here to open the package and be a true toy steward.

I did get that wave of joy.... going 9 years back in time. Fun.

I also felt fine doing it since this line sold so many toys there are plenty of others out there.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:07 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

I once cracked open a MOC Super Powers Cyborg, U.S. release. It was an overseas transaction and the card was literally chewed up on one edge.

I didn't think too much of it but did keep the bubble along with the card. I don't believe I could unseal stuff such as early boxed MIB G1 Transformers, though. That's why I collect the reissues.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2010 6:49 pm 
Wind him up, let him go

H-Balm wrote:
Some of your stories helped me get past the guilt.

I just saved a World of Springfield: Krusty Burger from destruction. Doing this required me to open the package!

Those dioramas run on AA batteries. Unchecked, and in the wrong situation, the batteries can corrode, destroying the toy! Thankfully, I was here to open the package and be a true toy steward.

I did get that wave of joy.... going 9 years back in time. Fun.

I also felt fine doing it since this line sold so many toys there are plenty of others out there.
I've often thought about opening my Death Star/Darth Vader transformer and taking out the batteries for that very reason. But I might sell it, and if I do, the buyer can decide what he wants to do with it....

AD&D wants-Mettaflame, Hawkler, Ogre King SS, Tiamat and Book of Spells accessory

Madballs Headpopper wants-Oculous Orb and Dustbrain

M.U.S.C.L.E figures

Have to trade=$.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 7:35 pm 
Tis' but a pup

I have a complete loose collection of Super Powers figures and a
complete mint on card collection. Same for many other lines. It's the balanced approach to collecting, although, of course, it costs more.
But it's the most satisfying. And no guilt.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 1:38 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

In the early/mid 90s I was a vintage Star Wars collection (even though I am only 28). I used to score stuff the only way you could back then, which were toy shows my parents took me too and garage sales, flea markets, etc.

Anyway, I did score some MOC cards and couldn't hold back the urge to open them.

Personally, I have little to no interest in carded figures. I think loose figures look better on the shelf.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 8:26 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I will admit that when I finally got around to buying a Tales of Suspense #39 (first appearance of Iron Man), that I did not open it.

Mainly because I already have the origin story in another form.

So I get where some of you are coming from regarding guilt about opening vintage things.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 4:24 pm 
shirtless hugger

I have a fondness for packaging. Sometimes my nostalgia for packaging is just as strong as it is for the toy inside.

Oddly, I like the price stickers on the packaging, too. I have a 4'' Mork action figure still in its packaging, and it has a 75-cent price sticker from Kmart on the front. Seventy-five cents!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:14 pm 
Wind him up, let him go

GregNYC wrote:
I have a fondness for packaging. Sometimes my nostalgia for packaging is just as strong as it is for the toy inside.

Oddly, I like the price stickers on the packaging, too. I have a 4'' Mork action figure still in its packaging, and it has a 75-cent price sticker from Kmart on the front. Seventy-five cents!

Same here Greg, especially when I find a vintage wind-up that I've never seen carded (or any from that line) I always want to find out what the cards look like, and try to get one carded to compliment then loose ones.

AD&D wants-Mettaflame, Hawkler, Ogre King SS, Tiamat and Book of Spells accessory

Madballs Headpopper wants-Oculous Orb and Dustbrain

M.U.S.C.L.E figures

Have to trade=$.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 3:43 pm 
Fugitive Dust

Personally for me, unless the card is completely destroyed, carded should stay carded. If you open one that's one less MOC on the market for another collector to obtain. Of course my cousin was smart and bought two of every Star Wars piece ever released(this was in the 80's of course, not recent).

Regards,
Ken

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 4:30 am 
Cold-cast

Point.... but should you collect, for another collector's benefit?

:twisted:
(playing devil's advocate)

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 7:19 pm 
Fugitive Dust

Point to you....
But if fallen on hard times and one needs to sell or maybe passing them on to a son and he sells them. Just saying :mrgreen:

Regards,
Ken

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2010 7:41 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

I'm an opener. As a ARAH Joe collector, I often find it much cheaper to purchase a carded figure in order to get all of the accessories. I have no problems with uncarding them after the fact.

My wife on the other hand is a MISP Barbie collector. The idea of opening a Barbie is the equivelant of setting it on fire. She has a very few open Barbies from her childhood, but only displays the boxed ones.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 8:55 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

...and if your wife is in the market, I have over 100 boxed Barbies from the late 70's to the late 90's that I need to sell. :-)

Peace,

Chip

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 9:54 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

marillion wrote:
...and if your wife is in the market, I have over 100 boxed Barbies from the late 70's to the late 90's that I need to sell. :-)

Peace,

Chip

Which in barbie collector circles are pretty much like having a MOC POTF2 collection. However send me a list of the newer stuff and my wife might be interested..

As far as the topic goes--one of my friends bought a sealed Vintage Boxed BWing- that while he was moving got damaged- so he decided to open it-- and guess what was inside-- some random model parts and a few other pieces to give the box the proper weight... It probably occured after market - but who knows- maybe there was a swapper in the 80's---- but that to me is the essence of what some boxed collectors may have in their collection-- a bunch of trash in cardboard boxes.. - I can accept figures-- since at least you can usually see whats in that package at least..

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:17 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

stewbacca wrote:
Which in barbie collector circles are pretty much like having a MOC POTF2 collection. However send me a list of the newer stuff and my wife might be interested..

Not really, unless the people in the Barbie collector circles don't shop on eBay. Well over half the ones I have regularly sell for $30-60 there, and that's completed auctions in the past 60 days.

I don't have a list, but will link you to a gallery of ones I have photographed later on when I'm at my home computer. This phone is too slow for anything other than e-mail & posting.

Peace,

Chip

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next