Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 3:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Where were you when the Towers fell?
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:14 am 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

Caped Crusader wrote:

More importantly, though, stuff like this should never happen to anyone who lives here. Your religion shouldn't matter. Just two days after the attacks, I was in a convenience store in my old neighborhood. The clerk who worked there (he was Pakistani) had just placed an American flag sticker on his car in a showing of solidarity. Unfortunately, he had done it in the dark, and the sticker ended up being upside down on the back of his vehicle. This was completely inadvertent, but a couple of trashy customers took it as a deliberate sign of disrespect. As the guy tried explaining that it was a mistake, they kept getting louder and closer to him until I finally had to step in front of them and let them know nothing was going to happen to the clerk.

That's not patriotism, and anyone who acts like that never bothered to learn what it's supposed to mean to be an American in the first place. Country of origin, skin color, religion, whatever... No one does his/her country any favors by using these differences as a reason to be hostile and abusive toward one's neighbors. It's just bigotry and xenophobia being excused by blind, misguided nationalism. It doesn't happen to white, Christian males due to the actions of Timothy McVeigh, Scott Roeder, Eric Rudolph, or this latest would-be psycho up the interstate from here, Justin Moose. If we use any of this to behave so horribly toward anyone who doesn't look like they're straight out of an episode of The Brady Bunch, then what exactly is the U.S. supposed to be protecting? How is that worth defending? It's not. We have to be better than that.

Those are my sentiments in a nutshell CC. Things had started getting so heated in my neighborhood post 9-11, I started having visions of Japanese internment camps. I didn't think I was capable of naivete, but I was completely shocked by the downright ignorance displayed by people I saw as intellectuals prior to this. When I spoke out against the ignorance and hatred, I was met with much resistance, and deemed "unpatriotic". Because I didn't share their jingoistic views, I obviously hated my country :roll:. A lot of those relationships remain irreparably severed to this day.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:21 am 
The Last Word

Oh, I can relate to that. After hearing the same kind of sentiments from people I considered at least casual friends, I made it perfectly clear to them that they weren't going to enjoy being around me any longer. I don't regret burning those bridges one little bit, and I'd have done it sooner if they hadn't waited for a tragedy to show their true colors.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:20 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Yeah, as a junior high teacher at the time, I had to break up and/or prevent quite a few conflicts between the majority of kids and the few Muslim children we had at the school. Sadly, some of them had left by Thanksgiving. I don't blame them; for every conflict I diffused, there were probably 10 I didn't get wind of.

I even had a parent call me and insist that I changed thier child's lab partner because "he looks Muslim." I refused and they went to the principal. Unfortunately, he didn't back me up and caved to the parents in order to avoid bad publicity for the school.

If you think kids can be idiots, adults are on a whole other level. :roll:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:22 pm 
Unbreakable

Shellhead wrote:
If you think kids can be idiots, adults are on a whole other level. :roll:

Sadly those kids learn from somewhere. Usually it's the parents.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 5:06 am 
declined to be a vampire

I was on my honeymoon down in a Cabin in Tennessee. Woke up and called a friend of mine in the area to see what he was doing, and he told me to turn on the TV. Both planes had hit, but neither building had fallen yet.

I really don't remember a whole lot about the day after that. I remember going into Pigeon Forge and half the stores were closed and no one was walking around.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:43 am 
proverbial old fart

alcinde4 wrote:

Where were you when the Towers fell?
What were the emotions you went through?
Did the events change you as a person?
Did it change your worldview?

I was still living in Washington State & was at work, listening to NPR when the first reports came in about a plane hitting one of the WTC towers. It was all very confusing and we switched on the TV in the conference room and watched the horror.

I have a lot of friends that live in NYC and was very worried for them all. I was numb when the towers collapsed and tried to think about how many people were killed. I began to worry about how the bush administration would finally react and if we were looking at a nuclear strike on the middle east. Seeing video of arab women dancing in the streets only made me worry more about the nut jobs in the white house.

I suppose it changed me somewhat. I had been to the WTC on business once and met some people there. Don't even remember their names so I don't know their fate. I hope they survived. The offices I went to were in the 2nd tower on the 30-something floor. You can't witness something like that and not be affected.

Didn't really change my world view. I've lived overseas (Europe & Japan) and I have always tried to understand other people's point of view.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 2:29 pm 

See, I had the opposite reaction when I saw them dancing. I was worried the White House wouldn't do enough. :evil:

Interesting how different people can observe the same event and come away with totally opposite opinions.

Hey Cal, I'd really like to hear your insights on this, considering you're the one who started the thread and all.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 4:05 pm 
Shifts It Into Overdrive

Out here in Cali, I was asleep. Then my mother called and I tuned in to Brokaw on NBC. I probably checked various channels just before the second plane hit. I watched as the people jumped. The couple holding hands, a lady and her purse, a man wearing a tie.

I was born in Manhattan. We have friends over there, so calls were attempted. It was a nightmare. A friend of mine emailed me asking if this was the end of the world. He was that scared. He said he wanted to move back to Massachusetts with his wife so he could die at his mom's home if things went nuclear.

Eventually, he did. They drove back a month or so later. He'd never flown before and swears he will never step on a plane to this day.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 6:04 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

Thanks to everyone who has shared thus far, I really appreciate you all sharing how these events effected you.

Now onto my experience and feelings as 9-11 unfolded...

As I mentioned at the beginning of this thread, I was still fresh out of the Army and I went through a bevy of emotions that altogether didn't make sense.

1a) I was angry, very, very angry. Angry at those responsible for this atrocity. I thought to myself and aloud, "How could someone, anyone be so calloused, as to kill so many innocent people?". It's one thing to kill people in the military, or even peace officers (policemen/women), because they fully understand the inherent dangers of their jobs. It's another thing entirely to kill men, women and children who are just going about their everyday lives, and mean no harm. That brings me to my next sub-point.

1b) I was angry with myself. I was angry because I felt I let my country down, by not serving for a longer period of time. I rationalized, if I was there I could do something. I WOULD do something. Which leads into my next point, and is in stark contrast to this point.

2a) I was afraid. No, terrified. I've seen combat, and it's far from pretty. You never, ever erase those horrific memories. Your psyche is forever marred. The only question is to what degree. No one has ever died at my hands, but I've seen enough death around me to last 10 lifetimes. The nightmares are so vivid sometimes. I'm immersed in a cacophony of sound that can only be duplicated by the machinations of war. I was in no hurry to revisit those memories.

2b) I was afraid to lose my family. Again. It's hard enough being a service member in so called "Peace time". I spent many, many months (which altogether turned into over a year) away from my family. If you've ever been in the service, or are close to someone who has been, you've heard of "Jody". If not, look it up (google is your friend). You'll know exactly why my first marriage didn't last.

2c) I was afraid for my little brother. He was a rookie firefighter in NYC at the time, and I wasn't able to get in contact with him for almost a week after 9-11. So you know I was completely distraught, thinking the worst. Fortunately, he and his entire Ladder escaped unscathed. He was just so caught up in the raw emotion of it all, and trying to save lives, he forgot about his big brother developing an ulcer, worried to death about him. I still give him crap about that to this day.

2d) I was afraid that the Bush administration would either overreact, or not react sufficiently. I had no confidence that the appropriate actions would be taken. This is one time I'm not happy that I was right.

I've answered my first two questions in the original post. Now on to the last two:

Did the events change you as a person?

Yes, absolutely. I've become a lot more cynical when it comes to foreign affairs. We can't ever seem to take care of business domestically (No child left behind, my ass), yet we're always primed to play "Global Police".

Did it change your worldview?

Having spent several years overseas (Germany, Austria, Bosnia, Hungary, Macedonia, Czech Republic [quite the glamour tour, no?]) I already understood that most of the world doesn't like Americans. Now when I say most, I mean most. Even the countries we view as allies, don't care for us much. We flaunt our excess and opulence, while our own people live in squalor. We pound our chests proclaiming, "We're the premier power in the world!" (so effing what?!?)

I knew that we weren't liked, but 9-11 proved how much we are actually hated. Please don't kid yourself into believing that Al Queda, as radical as they may be, are the only ones that view the U.S. as the devil incarnate.

Sorry it was so long. But I had I lot to get off of my chest. Oh, and thanks Bill. At your behest, I was finally able to give my long suppressed feelings a voice.

Thanks for reading. If you did :wink:.

Regards,

Calwin

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:28 am 

Powerful stuff. Thanks for your perspective, Cal.

And I'd have given your brother a lot of $hit for not calling, too! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 8:33 am 
proverbial old fart

Great post, Calwin! I truly appreciate your sharing.

My experiences overseas is that most people around the world like Americans. What they don't like and are unable to understand is our government and politicans. As we constantly see-saw from conservative to moderate every few years we seem to be very unpredictable. Also, in the world's view, we are a very dangerous nation. Of course, we don't see ourselves that way and we have a hard time understanding how the rest of the world see us.

I'm not taking sides, just stating what I've observed and talked about with people from other countries.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:06 am 
3 3/4"

Glenn2000 wrote:
Great post, Calwin! I truly appreciate your sharing.

My experiences overseas is that most people around the world like Americans. What they don't like and are unable to understand is our government and politicans. As we constantly see-saw from conservative to moderate every few years we seem to be very unpredictable. Also, in the world's view, we are a very dangerous nation. Of course, we don't see ourselves that way and we have a hard time understanding how the rest of the world see us.

I'm not taking sides, just stating what I've observed and talked about with people from other countries.

I think it's very important that more Americans travel abroad and experience the world, have some empathy, and see it all through a different set of eyes. I've been fortunate to travel and make friends abroad over the last 9 years, and opening yourself to different perspectives and cultures is an invaluable life experience. We'd all be better off we escaped the bubble and looked at things with a different point of view for a while.

Get your passports. Be a traveler. Make friends around the world. It's good to be a global citizen.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:32 am 

That's where I have to respectfully disagree, Uncle. I'm not a global citizen, I'm an American citizen. I have no interest in what the UN thinks and place very little importance on what the Europeans think.

I have traveled to Canada, Mexico, Bimini, England, and Ireland. I would like to travel to Japan, China and Italy. I've had a passport since 1993. I follow international news.

But I believe in borders, language, and culture. I believe the USA is the greatest and best country on Earth. There is no cultural relativism, some cultures are better and some are worse. That doesn't mean you can't be tolerant of other cultures or be informed about them(I think US news does a terrible job covering the world which is why I enjoy listening to the BBC).

I believe we spend too much time worried about global opinion instead of doing what we have to do to protect our way of life. Call me a zealot if you wish, I would use the term patriot.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 11:58 am 
declined to be a vampire

Shellhead wrote:
That's where I have to respectfully disagree, Uncle. I'm not a global citizen, I'm an American citizen. I have no interest in what the UN thinks and place very little importance on what the Europeans think.

I have traveled to Canada, Mexico, Bimini, England, and Ireland. I would like to travel to Japan, China and Italy. I've had a passport since 1993. I follow international news.

But I believe in borders, language, and culture. I believe the USA is the greatest and best country on Earth. There is no cultural relativism, some cultures are better and some are worse. That doesn't mean you can't be tolerant of other cultures or be informed about them(I think US news does a terrible job covering the world which is why I enjoy listening to the BBC).

I believe we spend too much time worried about global opinion instead of doing what we have to do to protect our way of life. Call me a zealot if you wish, I would use the term patriot.

I agree. Politically speaking, I keep to myself for the most part.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 12:21 pm 
3 3/4"

Shellhead wrote:

I think you misunderstood. I wasn't talking about, nor promoting, a global uni-culture or about abandoning nationalistic pride. I definitely wasn't making a political statement either and I have no desire to get into a discussion on the merits, or pitfalls, of globalism in foreign, or economic, policy. Wasn't even talking about global opinion of us, per se, either, or whether we do, should, or don't care.

It was just a general statement on empathy and the benefits of being a traveler, inspired by the eloquent posts of Cal and Glenn. That's all.

Don't read anything else into it.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 52 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next