Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 1:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Super Hero Squad = An Arm and a Leg?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 4:50 pm 
5th Horseman

My son LOVES the Super Hero Squad figures. I got him a few X-men packs, a couple Avengers packs, and a couple odds and ends. Man, I had no idea that Super Hero Squad figure packs were so ridiculously expensive on the secondary market. I remember the Fantastic Four packs being on clearance at Walmart, now you're lucky if you get them for $25-$30/pack!

To boot, a lot of the packs hitting retail now seem to provide an ample supply of endless variations of Hulk, Spider-Man, and Wolverine. That's pretty lame. So, to get my son the Fantastic Four, or ANY of the figures from previous waves, it's going to cost an arm and a leg...

That's extremely disappointing.

Post subject: Re: Super Hero Squad = An Arm and a Leg?
PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:10 pm 
Cold-cast

Perhaps inflation has something to do with it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:48 pm 
5th Horseman

JamesTheRogue wrote:
Perhaps inflation has something to do with it.

I don't see it. There are a lot of other products of comparable price or even more expensive that haven't seen that kind of increase on the secondary market. And as far as I know the Super Hero Squad figures weren't really made in short supply.

They're definitely highly popular, but still... really steep prices.

-J

PostPosted: Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:53 pm 
PVC

I have a Human Torch from the silver surfer 2 pack. I need a Ronan.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:06 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I'm so glad collectors weren't around so much in the 80's I would have never got any Gi Joe or Transformers. Honestly to me there are certain lines that collector's need to stay away from and this is one of them but to each his own.

My buddies son loves the TV shows and wants alot of the characters and they can't find half of them alot of the time. I'd bet this is because of collectors.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:32 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Just hope that he doesnt want any of those figures from the 3rd collectors pack-- Xavier and Kitty Pryde- go for insane money-- and dont even get into all the foreign only releases at this point- that do to the underselling 4 packs over here havent been released yet-- or for that matter the Kraven fig--

If you are lucky you might be able to at least pick up some of the sets that came out in the middle of the run at places like Ollies and other discount stores- (last year they got in all the Hulk waves as well as several of the 4 packs..

But this is one of the lines I dont hesitate on grabbing the sets when they come out-- because you never know if you are going to see them again.. (although recently they have been rereleasing some of the post series 12 sets)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 10:36 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

ian5555 wrote:
I'm so glad collectors weren't around so much in the 80's I would have never got any Gi Joe or Transformers. Honestly to me there are certain lines that collector's need to stay away from and this is one of them but to each his own..

Im sure they were just as prevalent back then-- but back then you had one wave of figures that would be out the entire year--- now even as collectors and kids alike it is all turnover-- I dont remember complaining about pegwarmers back then either- but you also only got 10 new characters a year-- I dont think we -- or kids want to go back to that...

Actually I think I like the deformed figure lines (B&the Bold, Galactic Heroes, Robot Heroes, SHS)more than the main toy lines themselves...Especially since we get more variety in a shorter time..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:25 am 
5th Horseman

stewbacca wrote:
Just hope that he doesnt want any of those figures from the 3rd collectors pack-- Xavier and Kitty Pryde- go for insane money-- and dont even get into all the foreign only releases at this point- that do to the underselling 4 packs over here havent been released yet-- or for that matter the Kraven fig--

If you are lucky you might be able to at least pick up some of the sets that came out in the middle of the run at places like Ollies and other discount stores- (last year they got in all the Hulk waves as well as several of the 4 packs..

But this is one of the lines I dont hesitate on grabbing the sets when they come out-- because you never know if you are going to see them again.. (although recently they have been rereleasing some of the post series 12 sets)

Basically what he wants is a good variety. Enough core characters to have good representations of a few teams/rogues galleries like X-Men, Avengers, Fantastic Four, and Spider-Man.

He's got:

Cap/Hawkeye
Thor/Iron Man
Hulk/Wasp

Beast/Iceman
Colossus/Angel
Wolverine/Sabertooth
Gambit/Rogue

Spider-Man/Green Goblin
Venom/Puma (I don't even know who the hell Puma is...)

Iron Man/Vanko/Drone 3pk

So, you can see I've got a ways to go toward fulfilling the young boy's hopes and dreams.

I was going to bid on a set of all four of the first Fantastic Four series, but it seemed awfully steep at $81, so I let it go. Now, looking back... maybe I should have bid on them. It's going to be difficult enough to get him set up with the Fantastic Four, let alone Galactus, the Sentinel, and packs like Juggernaut/Nightcrawler or Storm/Black Panther.

I got picked up a few on eBay yesterday and the day before for Christmas. So far he's getting:

Cyclops/Magneto
Human Torch/Silver Surfer (1st version)
Red Skull/Cap

I've submitted a best offer on the Invisible Woman/Dr. Doom pack, and I'm watching a couple other auctions for FF, and a loose Nightcrawler/Juggernaut. So, we'll see how it goes.

I thought about getting him the Helicarrier playset for Christmas as well. Right now he's making great use of Lego for his Super Hero Squad playsets... imagine what he could do with that Helicarrier as well. There's a loose Thing (1st series) for $16, but again, seems a little pricey.

If you guys have any thoughts, or suggestions, they're more than welcome. This thread is mainly to rant and chit-chat about Super Hero Squad.

Cheers!
-J

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:27 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I clearly remember back in the day (pre-Internet) having to look at the cardbacks of the GIJoes to figure out which new figures were coming out! :lol:

I used to cross them out as I got them and took great satisfaction when my makeshift "want list" was complete and I could throw the card out.

Until the next year, anyway. :wink:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:32 am 
5th Horseman

Shellhead wrote:
I clearly remember back in the day (pre-Internet) having to look at the cardbacks of the GIJoes to figure out which new figures were coming out! :lol:

I used to cross them out as I got them and took great satisfaction when my makeshift "want list" was complete and I could throw the card out.

Me too! I'm sure a lot of us did that or something similar. Ah... the good ol' days!

-J

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:48 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Make sure you check TJ Maxx and other places- as recent as last month I saw deluxe packs there for 7.00 (I recall Fing Fang Foom and a Sentinel) -- also right now at TRU the Collector Packs are on sale for 22.99 (youll probably still be able to find number #3- which has a Mr. fantastic in it), plus there were several recent 4 packs that had some repainted versions of the characters-- there was a recent 4 pack with Nightcrawler and other.

Plus the wave after next is supposed to have a invisible woman (with HERBIE)-- and since there has been multiple releases of the thing and Human Torch- those should be the easiest to get..

Plus keep your eye out for this set (one sold loose for 16.00) - gets you the thing and torch (well without the flame on)

http://cgi.ebay.com/SUPER-HERO-SQUAD-CO ... 2c58a79814

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:06 pm 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

HalJordanist wrote:
Shellhead wrote:

Me too! I'm sure a lot of us did that or something similar. Ah... the good ol' days!

-J

I have fond memories of the card backs as well. I didn't cross them out though. The card art was just too cool to me. I remember a buddy and I riding our bikes at full speed, hearts pounding, because another kid in the neighborhood found Recondo at a nearby (and now defunct) Montgomery Ward. Good ol' days indeed :D.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:38 pm 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

HalJordanist -

PM me your mailing address if your son doesn't have and would want this Thing:

I also have some extra SHS Wolvies and Spideys (loose) that you probably already have, but let me know if you need back-ups on those. (I have a bag of my daughter's broken JLU figs that I need to fix/replace :D )

This is one of my favorite lines, and the character selection certainly demonstrates that it has been a double threat line (kids and collectors).

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:42 am 
Factory Worker

When I first started collecting the SHS toy line I had no idea how big it would become. I decided in November of last year to sell my entire collection which was still in the packages. At that point I had one of everything that had been released. The collection fetched well over $600 on ebay which was WAAAYYY more than I had in the collection. I was very happy and my three daughters had a very good Christmas as a result of my selling the collection.

Sometimes, when looking at the new stuff that has been released I feel a twinge of regret but overall...I couldn't have been more happy with what I got in return for selling my SHS collection.

I somewhat envy those of you who can afford and are able to collect multiple toy lines. However, I am very happy with my Justice League Unlimited and Marvel Universe/Iron Man 2 comic series collections. I still get the best of both worlds in my eyes but I do miss SHS now and then.

Enjoy what you collect folks and try to share what you collect and know with others. It's the only way to spread the infection of collecting toys!!! :mrgreen:

F.Y.I. I am looking for old Batman/Superman animated figures. I need Killer Croc, Manbat, Ventriliquist, Alfred, Riddler and Lois Lane.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2010 12:57 pm 
Cold-cast

I totally agree that this line is way over priced when it comes to the secondary market like eBay. The main reason I started buying this line was to supplement my kids DC Superfriends Imaginext collection. My daughter loves the SHS line because they actually have female characters. Of course now I have to resort to eBay to get any of the ones she's missing and what do you know....they happen to be some of the most expensive ones on eBay.

Her current wantlist:
Ms Marvel
Rogue
Storm
Invisible Woman
Elektra (White variant)
Kitty Pryde

Not exactly a long list I know but to buy these all on eBay is gonna cost me well over $100 provided I can even find them all. It just seems a bit outrageous in my mind.