Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next
 Post subject: Captain America: The Winter Soldier
PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:57 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Captain America 2 In The Works

Who is writing the squeakquel to First Avenger?

February 11, 2011

Captain America: The First Avenger doesn't open until July 22, and Marvel has locked down writers for its sequel.

LatinoReview.com reports that First Avenger's scribes, Stephen McFeely & Christopher Markus, have been hired to write a sequel. The writing duo scripted the first film and Joss Whedon was brought in to do a polish on their draft.

Chris Evans will reprise his role in the film, as he is signed for six movies, but little else is known about the story this early in the game.

We know that First Avenger is bookended with scenes set in present day, with the end of the movie rumored to involve Cap being frozen in ice. It's possible a sequel could pick up from this point and unfold in present day, the same time period as Whedon's Avengers movie.

Post subject: Re: Captain America 2
PostPosted: Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:43 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Writer Stephen McFeely on a Captain America Sequel

by SuperHeroHype

Jun 21st, 2011

Screen Junkies got a chance to talk to Captain America: The First Avenger co-writer Stephen McFeely about a possible sequel. Here are some highlights from the conversation:

Q: We know he comes into modern day for The Avengers, but is there room to go back to WWII?

SM: Well, our hope is that there is room and we’re negotiating how to do that now. The story will likely be in the present day. We’re experimenting with flashback elements for more period World War II stuff. I can’t say much more than that but we made it baggy enough to refer to more stories in the past.

Q: So you left gaps in Captain America 1 where you can always say something else was going on back then?

SM: Absolutely. He had more adventures than just the one you’re going to see in the movie.

Q: Do you know who the villain of Captain America 2 would be?

SM: It’s undetermined. I will pass that question, how about that?

Q: When would you be scheduled to work on a sequel?

SM: We’ve already made the deal so I was at Marvel last week. We’re talking and passing stuff back and forth all the time. They just sent me a big PDF file of comics.

You can check out the full interview by clicking here!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:48 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Iron Man 3, Captain America 2 & Dr. Strange Movie Updates

by SuperHeroHype

January 26, 2012

With Marvel's The Avengers getting set to hit theaters on May 4th, Marvel Studios is moving forward with plans for the next two years. They've got Iron Man 3 scheduled for a May 3, 2013 release and, according to ComicBook.com, filming will likely start the first week of May for the third installment (presumably after Robert Downey Jr.'s publicity tour for "Avengers").

Multiple sources have told ComicBook.com that shooting for Iron Man 3 will begin prior to The Avengers hitting theaters May 4th, weeks ahead of previously published dates. The film is scheduled to be shot in Wilmington, NC at the EUE/Screen Gems Studios and is believed to be the largest production ever to be filmed in North Carolina.

Previous reports have listed late May as the official production start date, but one source close to the North Carolina operations said that Marvel “will have staff in Wilmington as early as mid-March, with shooting scheduled to begin the last week of April or the first week of May.”

Asked to verify the report, Marvel Studios said they do not officially comment on current or future development but indicated the reports were likely accurate. An e-mail update from that same Marvel Studios source told ComicBook.com, “It is not April for sure.”

Marvel Studios also has Thor 2 scheduled for November 15, 2013, but after that things get a little bit more vague. We know that the company has set release dates for two untitled projects on April 4, 2014 and then on May 16, 2014. With the first date being 4/4/14, one project that comes to mind is the Fantastic Four reboot, though that is still a Twentieth Century Fox release. So perhaps it could be Dr. Strange instead? Fanshare has the following bit on that project:

It has been confirmed that the script for Doctor Strange has been completed by Thomas Donnelly and Joshua Oppenheimer (Conan The Barbarian, Sahara) and Marvel Studios are now actively seeking a director to come in and helm the project. Once the director has come on board, they will then be searching for the cast to star in Doctor Strange.

The budget for Doctor Strange is not expected to be anywhere near as much as that of the bigger Marvel movies but it is still believed that, with the right script, the right director and the right cast, a good superhero movie could definitely come out of this. Production on Doctor Strange is expected to begin this year, with a release date likely to be sometime in 2013.

We think production might start a little later, however, since Neal McDonough dropped the following bits at IMDb about Captain America 2, which could be that May 16, 2014 project:

"Yeah, they’re planning (to go into production for) Captain America 2 for the end of this year, because Marvel does one film at a time. So they’re going to do Thor 2 and as soon as Thor has wrapped, they’ll do Cap 2. Hopefully right after that, we’ll jump into Nick Fury because that’s the one I’m looking forward to more than anything."

Why is that?

"Because it’ll be me and Sam Jackson. In the real Marvel universe, Dum Dum Dugan is Nick Fury’s right hand man.

…And I just pray that they have a 1970s setting, because I want to see Sam Jackson with lambchops kicking people’s asses for Marvel universe. It would just be awesome. And to work with Sam would be a treat. We’ve become friendly over the years."

We'll have to wait on confirmation on all of this, but it sounds like Marvel Studios is still carefully planning out the upcoming years.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 11:53 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Who is Marvel Studios Eyeing to Direct Captain America 2?

by SuperHeroHype

March 30, 2012

While Captain America: The First Avenger was directed by Joe Johnston and received positive reviews, Vulture is reporting that Marvel Studios is going with a new director(s) for the sequel:

They say: "Vulture hears that the search is narrowing for someone to helm the patriotic hero's own personal sequel. Insiders tell us that a field of ten directors has been whittled to just three for the follow-up to last summer's hit: George Nolfi, the writer-director of The Adjustment Bureau; F. Gary Gray, best known for directing The Italian Job; and, naturally … Community's Anthony and Joseph Russo?"

The site adds that Marvel Studios' Kevin Feige hit it off with the Russos, who have also directed You, Me and Dupree and Welcome to Collinwood.

A decision on the director(s) should be made by mid-April.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:02 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Captain America Sequel to Hit Theaters on April 4, 2014!

Source: SuperHeroHype

April 5, 2012

The Walt Disney Studios has announced a release date for Marvel Studios' sequel to the blockbuster Captain America: The First Avenger on April 4, 2014.

The second installment will pick-up where the highly anticipated Marvel's The Avengers (May 4, 2012) leaves off, as Steve Rogers continues his affiliation with Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D and struggles to embrace his role in the modern world.

Click on the new photo of Captain America from Marvel's The Avengers for a bigger version!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:26 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Captain America 2 Director Talk

F. Gary Gray drops out of the running.

April 10, 2012

The gears are starting to move on Captain America 2. First we got word last week that the sequel has a release date of April 4, 2014. And now today the list of potential directors has gotten a bit smaller.

F. Gary Gray (The Italian Job, Law Abiding Citizen) had been one of those contenders, but he's reportedly removed himself from the running in favor of the NWA biopic Straight Outta Compton.

So who does that leave? Deadline reports that while Community's Joe and Anthony Russo and The Adjustment Bureau's George Nolfi -- revealed last month to be on Marvel's "short list" -- are still possibilities, "Marvel is talking to others" too.

The site also adds that Cap 2's story picks up after The Avengers, which would make sense and be in keeping with the modern-day plot announced last week.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:16 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Is a Cap/Falcon Team-Up Happening?

Plus, Steve Rogers' post-Avengers plans.

April 14, 2012

Watch out for spoilers for Avengers and the whole Marvel movie universe in general!

We've heard rumors that in his next film Captain America might be teaming up with his old partner the Falcon. And in an interview today, Marvel president Kevin Feige didn't do much to dispel those rumors.

In a chat with the Huffington Post, the following exchange took place:

Question: Captain America always has a sidekick. In the next Captain America movie, is he going to have a sidekick?

Feige: It is interesting that you ask that question. And I'm not going to give you an answer. But I will give you kudos for pointing that out and recognizing that.

Question: When I was younger, my dad had a bunch of Cap comic books from the Captain America and the Falcon era.

Feige: [Pauses] That was a fun era.

Question: You're a vague guy.

Feige: [Laughs]

Question: And no comment to my accusation about you either?

Feige: [Laughs] No.

Question: O.K., I get it. I realize that you have to be vague.

Feige: I'm impressed with questions that are more relevant than others. And those are relevant.

And then Collider also spoke to Feige about Cap 2, leading with a question about how much of the film might take place back in World War II.

"We're still figuring that out," Feige responded. "We love that cast, we love [Chris Evans'] dynamic with that cast and we want to see that again… the cast from the first movie; we want to see that again because I think it informs his character in a big way. But the primary storyline takes place post-Avengers, Steve figuring out his place in the world. Tony [Stark] goes back to Malibu, Thor goes back to Asgard, but there are a number of people who stay in S.H.I.E.L.D. Steve, for the time being, is going to be one of them."

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 6:24 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

The Russo Brothers to Direct Captain America Sequel

by SuperHeroHype

June 06, 2012

Anthony and Joe Russo are set to direct the sequel to last year's Captain America: The First Avenger, Variety reports.

The sibling pair are known for feature films like Welcome to Collinwood and You, Me and Dupree as well as television series like "Arrested Development," "Community" and "Happy Endings" (the latter two of which they also executive produce). They're also attached to Ciudad, based on their own graphic novel and set to star Dwayne Johnson.

The second installment will pick-up where Marvel's The Avengers leaves off, as Steve Rogers (Chris Evans) continues his affiliation with Nick Fury and S.H.I.E.L.D and struggles to embrace his role in the modern world.

Still untitled, the Captain America sequel is set to hit theaters on April 4, 2014.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:19 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Anthony Mackie Eyes Falcon Role in Captain America: The Winter Soldier

by SuperHeroHype

July 16, 2012

Just two days after announcing the sequel's title at this year's Comic-Con, Captain America: The Winter Soldier may have found one of its leading men. The Hollywood Reporter says that Anthony Mackie is in talks to play The Falcon in the April 4, 2014 release.

Created in 1969 by Stan Lee and Gene Colan, Sam Wilson made his first appearance in Captain America #117 and was Marvel's first African-American superhero, continuing on as the book's regular co-star for much of the 1970's. Prior to a later retcon, Wilson was a Harlem social worker who shares an empathic link with birds, including his own falcon, Redwing. After becoming a costumed hero, Wilson made use of a flight harness to take flight alongside Cap.

Details are few on the plot of the Marvel Studio sequel but, based on the title, it's pretty much a certainty that the film will follow Ed Brubaker's Winter Soldier storyline, revealing the true fate of Sebastian Stan's James "Bucky" Barnes after the events of Captain America: The First Avenger.

Mackie appeared earlier this year in Man on a Ledge and Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter.

Post subject: Re: Captain America: The Winter Soldier
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2012 11:30 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

From IGN:

Anthony Russo Talks Captain America 2

Director on his plans for the modern-day Steve Rogers.

by Max Nicholson

July 24, 2012

Earlier today at the TCA press tour, IGN TV's Eric Goldman spoke with former Community executive producer (and frequent Community director) Anthony Russo about what he and his brother Joe Russo have planned for Marvel's sequel Captain America: The Winter Soldier. First, we learned a bit about how the comedy duo was initially tapped to direct the upcoming comic book feature, as well as how Community was actually the launchpad for their recruitment.

"It sort of came out of the blue, but [Marvel] were big fans of Community," said Russo. "You can sort of draw a line between some things we did on Community and a Marvel movie. I think if you look at some of the big genre episodes -- you know, the paintball episodes, etc. -- there’s a cinematic sensibility being explored there that is in the language of those films."

Additionally, Russo noted that he and his brother's experience in television gave them a leg up with working in such an expansive franchise like The Avengers. "Marvel is a big company, and they’ve made a lot of movies. These narratives are connected to each other. That’s not typical for a feature film, but television people are used to that. There are seasons and seasons of a show, and the history is very important it, obviously... My brother and I were comic book geeks from a young age, and big fantasy geeks. We got to talk to [Marvel] in detail about that. They knew that we understood the brand and their characters really well. We were just incredibly passionate about the movie, and they felt that it was the right match."

While Russo wasn't allowed to divulge many details surrounding the Winter Soldier plot, he did describe some of his aspirations for the Steve Rogers character. "We’re trying to grow him as a character," he continued. "Certainly, he’s come a long way from where he started in World War II to where he is in modern-day America. So the character has room for growth because of that huge journey he’s been on, number one. Number two, the appeal of these movies is the ensemble. Captain America isn’t the only character in the film, and there are other characters that are perhaps lighter in nature."

Speaking of the ensemble, might we see any appearances from other Avengers, Peggy Carter or S.H.I.E.L.D. members? To that, Russo remained tight-lipped. "That’s something Marvel will shoot me for if I tell you," he joked.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier begins production early next year, with a release date set for April 4, 2014.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2012 11:32 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

When Will the Captain America Sequel Start Filming?

by SuperHeroHype

September 11, 2012

We were all pretty excited for the sequel to the Chris Evans-starring Captain America before we knew that the subtitle was "The Winter Soldier," which made us even more excited, but now we've got word that the sequel will start filming very soon. Collider interviewed Chris Evans recently at the Toronto Film Festival and when asked about the start date, he had a reply.

And for all the Marvel fans...Chris Evans says filming on the CAPTAIN AMERICA sequel begins in March 2013.

There you have it! March of next year. This gives them plenty of time to get the filming done and to finish off the post production. is set to hit theaters on April 4, 2014.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:59 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Chris Evans Talks Captain America: The Winter Soldier

by SuperHeroHype

September 12, 2012

As we reported yesterday, the sequel Captain America: The Winter Soldier starts filming next March, but in an interview with MTV you can already tell that Chris Evans is really excited for what the future holds with Steve Rogers. You can watch the video here.

Evans says he thought that this is what the sequel would be from the start. "There were always hints at that," he said, "The best thing about [Marvel Studios president] Kevin Feige is he's a fan. He's not just a businessman, he's a rabid comic book fan. Even during the first 'Captain America,' well before 'The Avengers,' there were whispers of ['Winter Soldier'] being the sequel. So I'm excited to tackle that."

He also had nothing but nice things to say about his co-stars Sebastian Stan. "I love Sebastian," said the actor. "He's such a great guy." And Anthony Mackie (who will be playing the Falcon), "he's so great," Evans said. "I've known Mackie for a few years now. I'm really happy we got him. We got lucky."

Captain America: The Winter Soldier is set to hit theaters on April 4, 2014.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:03 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

My daughter is literally frothing at the mouth for this movie. She loved the first one, loved him in Avengers and can't wait for the second. She's really thrilled they got Mackie to play Falcon.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:25 am 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Captain America: The Winter Soldier to Film in Cleveland

by SuperHeroHype

September 28, 2012

Chris Evans has said that the filming for the sequel to Captain America will begin in March and now we know where. The sequel, titled Captain America: The Winter Soldier, is set to be released on April 4, 2014 and will be going back to Cleveland, Ohio where much of this summer's The Avengers was filmed. Here's the press release from the Greater Cleveland Film Commission:

The Greater Cleveland Film Commission today announced that Marvel Studios will film portions of Marvel’s Captain America: The Winter Soldier in Cleveland, Ohio. Set for release by The Walt Disney Studios in 2014, the movie is a sequel to the 2011 hit Captain America: The First Avenger starring Chris Evans. Marvel Studios will film stage work for the production in the studio’s home state of California.

Filming for Captain America: The Winter Soldier is scheduled to begin next year. This film project follows on the heels of Marvel Studio’s 2012 blockbuster Marvel’s The Avengers, which filmed i

“Marvel is pleased to return to Ohio, this time with our Captain America: The Winter Soldier production. The location, talent and people of Ohio are sure to benefit our film, and we look forward to beginning production,” said Louis D’Esposito, Co-President, Marvel Studios.

Captain America: The Winter Soldier will pick up where Marvel’s The Avengers leaves off, as Steve Rogers struggles to embrace his role in the modern world. The film will be directed by brothers Anthony and Joe Russo, Cleveland natives whose credits include the movie Welcome to Collinwood, the Fox TV series Arrested Development, and the NBC TV series Community.

The Greater Cleveland Film Commission was in talks with Marvel Studios for weeks, sharing information about Ohio’s physical assets and helping them learn about the benefits of filming in Ohio — including the recently expanded Ohio Motion Picture Tax Incentive.

In June, the State of Ohio expanded the Ohio Motion Picture Tax Incentive, a critical tool for strengthening Ohio’s growing film industry and creating jobs for Ohioans. The tax incentive provides for a refundable credit against the corporation franchise or income tax for motion pictures produced in Ohio.

“We’re thrilled that Marvel Studios is bringing another major motion picture project to Cleveland, and we’re committed to showing them the very best our region has to offer,” said Ivan Schwarz, executive director of the Greater Cleveland Film Commission. “We proved with the filming of Marvel’s The Avengers that Cleveland has the talent, architecture and amazing locations that will provide filmmakers everything they need to ensure a successful filming experience, and the economic impact of this new project can’t be denied. Filming will create a number of jobs for Ohioans and will give our region another chance to demonstrate how skilled, professional and dedicated our workforce truly is. We especially appreciate Governor Kasich and the Ohio Film Office for their support and timely approval of these exciting opportunities.”

The Greater Cleveland Film Commission is committed to building a year-round, sustainable statewide film industry through job creation, workforce development, and attracting media production.

Frank G. Jackson, Mayor of Cleveland, Ohio, stated, “We are thrilled to host Marvel and the filming of Captain America: The Winter Soldier in 2013. We have worked diligently with the Greater Cleveland Film Commission to make our city an attractive location for films of all sizes. Marvel’s return to Cleveland shows we can provide a film-friendly atmosphere that will ultimately lead to a permanent presence of the film industry in Northeast Ohio.”

About 1,143 full-time equivalent Ohio jobs and $35.5 million in household income are estimated to have been credited to the 27 projects that took advantage of the Ohio Motion Picture Tax Credit since its 2009 inception, and the tax incentive returns $1.20 into the Ohio economy for every $1 invested by the incentive, according to a Cleveland State University study released earlier this year.

“We are thrilled that Cuyahoga County is being seen as a destination for filmmakers,” said Cuyahoga County Executive Ed FitzGerald. “The resources that we have to offer, including our skilled workforce, makes our region a natural fit for the film industry. Projects like this means jobs and economic development for Cuyahoga County.”

To learn more about the Greater Cleveland Film Commission, click here.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2012 5:39 pm 
Editor Emeritus of SDCC

Captain America: The Winter Soldier Casting Female Lead

by SuperHeroHype

October 02, 2012

With production aiming to begin in March of 2013, Marvel Studio's Captain America: The Winter Solider is working on casting a new female lead. Deadline has an alleged short list of five actresses reading for the part and suggests that Scarlett Johansson will also appear as The Black Widow.

Though the new female character is not yet confirmed, it is said to be a romantic interest to Chris Evans' Steve Rogers. Fans of the comics know that the odds point to the role being that of Sharon Carter. Originally the sister of Peggy Carter (played in Captain America: The First Avenger by Hayley Atwell), Peggy was later retconned to be Peggy's niece.

The list of names includes Jessica Brown Findlay ("Downton Abbey"), Emilia Clarke ("Game of Thrones"), Teresa Palmer (I Am Number Four), Imogen Poots (Fright Night) and Alison Brie (The Five-Year Engagement).

Brie has actually worked with directors Anthony and Joe Russo before as, between them, they've helmed over two dozen episodes of "Community".

Whoever is cast will join Evans as Rogers and Anthony Mackie, cast in the role of Sam "Falcon" Wilson.

Captain America: The Winter Solider is set for release on April 4, 2014.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 174 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12  Next