Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Could it be... the ideal JLU display cases?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:41 pm 
Knows his stuff

My JLU figures have been stored in boxes for far too long. Everyone here knows about the "domino effect" threat of standing them up, the poor-quality Mattycollector stands, the expense of those doll stands, and all the other problems associated with displaying them. I'm always on the lookout for the perfect display case for JLU figures -- ideally with little compartments for each figure, like the acrylic cases I've seen for vintage Star Wars figures. Unfortunately, JLU figures are too wide to fit in the compartments. I even contacted a custom display case builder about making that kind of acrylic case, but his quote was too expensive to be reasonable for me.

Anyway, my latest frustrating eBay search found something new, something that I think could work. These cases are meant for Pez dispensers, so they don't have the individual compartments, glass fronts, and mirrored backs I always imagined. However, they're affordable and they might work perfectly due to a dowel that would run across the figures' legs to hold them securely in place. I think it could work as an attractive display and storage solution for all but the largest figures, such as Grundy and Lobo.

I have no connection to this eBay seller and I have yet to order the cases myself. I just wanted to check with the largest JLU-collecting community out there first, to ask what you all think.

Here's a wider case: http://cgi.ebay.com/GIANT-LONG-PEZ-DISP ... 4aa3d5bc57

And a taller one: http://cgi.ebay.com/PEZ-DISPLAY-CABIN-G ... 4aa5f261ba

Post subject: Re: Could it be... the ideal JLU display cases?
PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:52 pm 
Aspires to be #1

The ideal JLU display is in my head and will be worked up when I'm done adding customs to my collection.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:39 pm 
Resin

I feel that the perfect JLU cases were the Bertby cases made by IKEA. Unfortunately, when I was ready to purchase them, they had been discontinued by IKEA, and unavailable.... Drat! I currently have my JLU display on a different style IKEA bookcase, and it's sufficient, but I'm looking for something that really adds to the presentation...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 7:59 pm 
shirtless hugger

Have you looked at these?

http://www.showcase-express.com/universal6display-large.aspx

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:20 pm 
Knows his stuff

FlaBat wrote:

I think I've stumbled across them before, but they're expensive, and they don't solve the problem of JLU figures not standing up on their own.

So seriously, nobody has any thoughts on the wooden Pez display cases working for JLU?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:08 am 
serves the Otter

I do. This is a very good idea. It's even better than 'stair' displays as you can see the figures individually. As for the wooden bars that hold up the figures, yeah I think you've got it covered, how it solves the standing issue and yet does not require molding or gluing. Can it fit the oversized figures though?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:48 am 
Collector Inspector

My ideal way to display them isn't having them pose for the group photo you get at the end of summer camp. For me, it's got to be a diorama of some sort. Granted, that'll either take up a crap ton of room OR I'd have to swap out figures every so often.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:54 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

I looked at the wooden racks, but honestly I don't think they're going to work long term. I'd be concerned about paint rub from any portion of the plastic touching the wood. I'd also worry about sticking if the figures are there for too long.

The other HUGE issue with this for me is the open air concept. JLU figures seem to be dust magnets to me. In this type of display, they're going to collect dust like crazy. You'd then have to dust them, which would open up more potential for paint rubs.

Maybe if they had some type of cover I'd support, but for me I'll stick with the small plastic containers from Container Store that I use for my customs.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:10 am 
Knows his stuff

texgnome1 wrote:
I looked at the wooden racks, but honestly I don't think they're going to work long term. I'd be concerned about paint rub from any portion of the plastic touching the wood. I'd also worry about sticking if the figures are there for too long.

The other HUGE issue with this for me is the open air concept. JLU figures seem to be dust magnets to me. In this type of display, they're going to collect dust like crazy. You'd then have to dust them, which would open up more potential for paint rubs.

Maybe if they had some type of cover I'd support, but for me I'll stick with the small plastic containers from Container Store that I use for my customs.

Is the paint rub issue THAT bad? I understand the dust, as I have my small DCUC/DCD/ML collection displayed on those Expand-a-Shelves and everything gets dusty, but would contact with a non-plastic surface be that damaging to JLU? Remind me again why we collect them in the first place!

Oh, do you have a picture of the Container Store plastic containers you mentioned? I even visited one of those during a brief trip to see my parents in Miami, in the hopes of finding a perfect JLU display case, but I didn't see anything that would have worked.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:36 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

On the paint rub issue, well it's hit or miss. I have some figures that have been in the kids' play boxes for years without a single problem. I have others that look like someone took paint thinner to them and just went nuts. It's bad enough that I have bought extras of those figures knowing it's an issue. I can't help but think that up against wood it would be the same. You'll have some figures that won't have any problems. You'll have others that are stuck like glue.

As far as what I use, here you go.

And here's the LINK

I love them. They keep the dust out completely, they look good, they're stackable, and the price point is relatively low. I buy 2 or 3 at a time so it doesn't hit the wallet as badly. I have all of my customs in them, and when the kids finally outgrow them completely, I'll put the official figures there too. The best part is they have three adjustable riser pieces in them, so they'll fit all but the very tallest figures. I've checked, and so far the only figure that won't fit is Giganta. Although I admit I haven't checked to see if Lobo will fit.

I'll try to post pictures tonight of my custom collection so you can see for yourself.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:36 am 
Wonderdog

j1h15233 wrote:
The ideal JLU display is in my head and will be worked up when I'm done adding customs to my collection.

Is it safe up there? What if something happened to you before you let us know?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:41 am 
Aspires to be #1

GLsector666 wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:

Is it safe up there? What if something happened to you before you let us know?

Then I guess the secret dies with me haha. Really though I built something up in my head that's a really simple design for a stand but I wouldn't be able to easily add on to it so I need to finish my collection before I can actually build it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:47 am 
Wonderdog

j1h15233 wrote:
Then I guess the secret dies with me haha. Really though I built something up in my head that's a really simple design for a stand but I wouldn't be able to easily add on to it so I need to finish my collection before I can actually build it.

I tried a plexiglass case, with the figures stuck onto wooden discs with that display putty stuff, and now they all look like Commander Riker going through doors head first. :x

So any ideas you have you should share...

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:52 am 
Aspires to be #1

Well I know good and well that not all of my figures will stand up on their own so my goal for any JLU display would be to have a wall or space behind them where you could lean them ever so slightly back so they aren't actually standing but don't look like they're diagonal either. And it depends on how you like them to be displayed, but mine are usually displayed separated where I can clearly see everyone. I don't put them in battle scenes or poses or anything like I do with DCUC figures.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:34 pm 
5th Horseman

Those Pez holders seem like a great solution, but a bit overpriced for how simple they are. My only concern would be how distracting the dowel across the legs would be. I wouldn't worry about paint rub because it looks like the dowel would hit about knee level, and most characters only have boots painted on beneath that.

I like the look of those cases from the Container Store, but how many JLU can you fit into one? That could get really pricey for the number of figures we have. I think I'd need two or three just for my Flash figures!