Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Could it be... the ideal JLU display cases?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:18 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

I like the Pez shelves, Lou. As DanMan points out, I doubt paint rub would be an issue, simply because the dowel would hit them above the boot line. That's generally just molded plastic. I do wonder how difficult it would be to simply manufacture my own. Again, as DanMan says, it's pretty simple. Might be as easy as buying some shelves from Michaels, drilling holes, and inserting dowels. Or wire, even. I'll have to think about this some.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:28 pm 
too much stick, not enough carrot

Dan, I understand what you're saying as far as paint rub. And that may be true. But I'm still skeptical that it would be a concern over time. And if the figures go all weak at the knees as they're prone to do, I'm thinking they're definitely hitting the floor. I'll also point out again that the JLU figures tend to be dust magnets if they're left out in the open like that.

As far as the Container Store cases, I'm getting a minimum of 15 custom figures in each one. It's usually more like 20+, but the bare minimum is 15. They'll fit the equivalent of three rows worth deep, and will easily accommodate 5 standard figures across. Most people would need around 15 of them for a completed JLU collection. Might be a little more considering oversized characters. So yes it does get a little pricey if you try to do it all at once. But I wonder how many of those $70 shipped dowel rod displays it would take. To me the cases are more convenient since I have a Container Store in driving distance. That's why I do 2 or 3 at a time.

I'm not saying the dowel ones wouldn't work, just pointing out my thoughts based on what I can see in the pictures. And putting them up against my personal experience with the Container Store cases, I'll stick with the cases.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:44 pm 
Knows his stuff

texgnome1, as nice as those cases are, don't you still have you purchase doll stands or Matty stands, or drill holes in their feet? I'd also worry about them being too bulky and taking up too much space (at least for me). Some kind of wall-mounted case would be ideal for my purposes, and since I'm not a completist, I'm pretty sure I could fit my entire JLU collection (including a dozen yet-to-be-bought figures and a handful of customs) into one of those Pez displays.

Bryan, if you have any construction ideas, I'd be grateful! How do you display your JLU, anyway?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:08 pm 
PVC

I took all of my JLU and hot glued them to poker chips that i had painted black. that way they all stand up really well and i can position them to stand straight even thought one leg is shorter than the other. Since it is hot glue it just pops off if you need to remove them from the base but it is sturdy enough to keep them standing straight.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:17 pm 
too much stick, not enough carrot

For the customs, I used the pack in stands and drilled a smaller hole in the feet that would actually let them be fairly secured. Not the godawful Matty Collector stands - the ones that came in the three or six packs. I'm almost out of the pack in stands, and if I can't find any I'll be doing exactly what Logan did. Hot glue with poker chips. I've done it in the past, and believe it or not I've never had a problem with paint rub.

As far as bulky, right now they are because my kids decorate their rooms with them haha. But I found two cheapo, slim bookcases that I'll eventually be putting them in.

It all depends on how you want to display them though, so if you buy or make one of the dowel rod versions I'd LOVE to see pictures and get your thoughts.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:28 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

This is what I use(d):

1 by whakojacko1976, on Flickr

2 by whakojacko1976, on Flickr

3 by whakojacko1976, on Flickr

4 by whakojacko1976, on Flickr

5 by whakojacko1976, on Flickr

6 by whakojacko1976, on Flickr

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:36 pm 
Knows his stuff

I absolutely love it! How much are those?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:30 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

whakojacko1976 wrote:
This is what I use(d):

This looks like an ultimate Hollywood Squares scenario

JLU Batman (Super Powers colors w/Batarang)
JLU Batman (Black costume w/Batarang)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:42 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou wrote:
I absolutely love it! How much are those?

Well the smaller ones like the one that Blue Devil is standing in normally ran me about $1.50 each. Just like Tex, I was getting these a few at a time so as not to break the bank. I usually purchased about $20 worth every few weeks until I had enough for the figures I had in hand. I slowed it down once they were all covered and only bought while I was waiting for newer JLU figures to show up, maybe buying about 6 cases at a time.

The larger ones like Kalibak and Grundy are in usually ran about $3. The black shelves came from Big Lots for about $20 per unit.

Unfortunately, it's starting to become very hard to find these anymore. That is why I added the "d" at the end of the word "use" in my previous post. I should have enough for the remaining yet to be released figures though.

Here is an E-Tailer that supposedly has some for sale however:
http://www.dazzlelace.com/packagingsupplies/boxes.htm

If you scroll down a little less than half way down the page you should see them marked as:
PAC1106 Acrylic Favor Box

I've never bought from these guys so I'm just providing the link as an FYI, I'm not actually endorsing the seller.

You can also check Michael's which is were I bought most of mine as well as AC Moore and Hobby Lobby.
Or try Google-ing them.

The boxes fit most of the standard size JLU figures although sometimes the fit is a bit snug. Rocket Red is about 2cm too big for one of these and Darkseid is just out of the question. You'd definitely need a larger size for anyone Red's size and larger.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2011 4:49 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

darkluna wrote:
whakojacko1976 wrote:
This is what I use(d):

This looks like an ultimate Hollywood Squares scenario

:lol: Well if I can find an Alf action figure and a Whoopi Goldberg for Center Square I'll have to take another pick lol! Hmmm... well I do have a Guinan figure from Star Trek TNG somewhere... must find a Jim J. Bullock figure too...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:09 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

I actually don't have my stuff on display currently, Lou, 'cause my spare room is in tremendous disarray. Eventually I will. But for stuff I do display, I've got customized shelves that I've made:

Daily Planet et al. (the middle building I bought -- the others I made)

Dr. Fate's Tower:

I've also got one that's the JLU satellite, but I've never quite finished it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:13 pm 
Collector Inspector

Holy socks! how cool are those! Nice work, Bryan!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:20 am 
Santos L. Halper

Here's mine: IKEA glass display case, acrylic risers and doll stands. Expensive, but it makes the JLU collection look nice:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2011 7:07 am 
Wonderdog

Man, all of y'all have just beautiful displays. I'm actually ashamed of my spare room now.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:12 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I use the Detolf glass cabinet from IKEA. They are relatively cheap at $60, but my collection is rather small so I'm sure it'll become an expensive option in the future. Here's what it looks like, along with the 3-tier acrylics from collectingwarehouse.com and the protech clear stands. I drilled holes in the feet, which worked perfectly, and my figures haven't fallen.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/63389504@N08/sets/72157629069011754/show/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 63 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next