Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Tron Legacy 4" Castor - to what degree does it exist?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 11:23 am 
Resin

Got a bit of a mystery on my hands. I recently purchased a Tron Legacy figure, and on the back was pictured a figure of CASTOR, the club owner from the movie, who was also known as Zuse.

Initially, I mistook the small image for Kevin Flynn, since both figures were somewhat similar, as they are the only two figures dressed in white, and they both have rather long hair. Then I noticed the name printed next to it.

So I have begun a search for Castor. Now, I've been able to get the other two "late additions" -- Quorra and Jarvis -- rather easily. But I sure haven't seen this guy.

On another message board, I have received responses that a couple were sold in eBay auctions for pretty much the retail price, plus shipping. But these auctions were based overseas, in Hong Kong. Another individual says he saw one at a store in Kentucky. Yet another claims that only a few hundred were manufactued, and the rest were (horrors!) destroyed. The Kentucky story and the low selling price of the eBay auctions would seem to negate that particular tale -- I hope.

So -- anybody have any better intel on this?

Heck -- anybody SEEN this figure where they could get it for me?

Post subject: Re: Tron Legacy 4" Castor - to what degree does it exist?
PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:13 pm 
Cold-cast

I've seen Castor once at a Wal-Mart. Wish I would have gotten it, but I simply didn't have the money to spend at the time. :(

I've seen Jarvis and Quorra maybe 3 or 4 different times, but only Castor once.

Have you tried checking your local Disney stores?

Keep us updated on your hunt for a Castor, I for one am interested in this figure as well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 12:42 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

Multiple times- in both Target and WalMart-- but Im in Kentucky as well-- so great- we get nothing new but crappy Tron figures..

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:29 pm 
Resin

I was in my local Disney Store a little over a week ago, before I knew Castor existed, admittedly, and I did go through the Tron display mostly out of curiosity. If memory serves, it was minimal at best, consisting of a Clu and a couple of Black Guards.

I'd love to know what the Kentucky connection is here... :roll:

If anyone in Kentucky (or anywhere else) can help secure one of these figures for me, it would be appreciated. Might have to work out a trade or something, since $$$ are tight just now, but it would be appreciated. All I would ask is that the figure be as neatly painted as possible, Package condition is a distinctly lower priority.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:13 pm 
Ferret Farmer

I've been on the hunt for this guy too. Of course nothing so far. I'll follow TrekkerGI in asking if someone could hook me up with a Castor as well, I'd really appreciate it.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2011 9:39 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Ill see what I can do--

I remember the first time I saw him was actually a Meijer..

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:22 am 
Cold-cast

I don't think the "Kentucky Story" or the low selling price on Ebay negates the rumor.

Tron Legacy was not a line that was popular with collectors, and it's mostly the collectors who bid and drive up prices on ebay toy auctions. All of the series two figures are rare, but most collectors currently aren't paying attention to anything to do with this line, and most of them probably don't even know a series two was made.

The Kentucky Story, well, that's only a "story". I've noticed that some people here seem to delight in claiming whatever rare figure is being talked about is all over the place where they live. These are usually people who open their figures and despise the thought of rare/valuable action figures altogether. Until both of you actually receive one of these numerous Kentucky Castors in the mail from Stewbacca it should be taken with a grain of salt.

As for myself, my regret at not snagging a Castor when I had a chance is counterbalanced somewhat by the fact these figures have batteries and at some point the package will have to be opened to some degree in order to remove them, or eventually the battery will corrode and damage the figure.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:16 am 
Tis' but a pup

According to a Spin Master employee on the tron-sector.com forums (look for posts by "wheat king"), Castor was never released to the public. He was supposed to be included in Series 2, but was held back for Series 3 due to an actor likeness issue. 300 figures were produced, pulled from cases, and given to employees or destroyed. The likeness issue was fixed and approved to go, but obviously Series 3 & 4 were canceled.

One carded Castor figure was found a few weeks ago on eBay from a Chinese seller and is currently on its way to its lucky new owner. That's the only confirmed sighting so far.

Several people claim to have seen him, but nobody that makes this claim has ever been able to back it up - I imagine it's just a false memory from seeing him on the cardbacks.

Image from the eBay auction:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:24 am 
Tis' but a pup

stewbacca wrote:
Ill see what I can do--

Huh. Actually I really want to believe this coming from Stew. It's always possible that a few cases slipped out. Add me to the list of people that would love to get one if you do find some.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 6:39 pm 
Cold-cast

DirkMaximus wrote:

Several people claim to have seen him, but nobody that makes this claim has ever been able to back it up - I imagine it's just a false memory from seeing him on the cardbacks.

You know, at first I was going to jump all over you saying how I definitely saw a Castor and your false memory theory is BS, but now that I really think about that time I thought I saw one in Wal-Mart, I'm not really sure. I know I definitely saw a Jarvis, and two Quorras. That was the first time I'd seen series two and I read the cardbacks and saw Castor, then I immediately scanned the rest of the pegs and saw a figure in white. I may just be remembering seeing Kevin Flynn and mistaking him for Castor for a few seconds.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 7:57 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

stewbacca wrote:
Ill see what I can do--

As a Tron collector and finding this post, I'd love to get in on a Castor figure too, if possible. I must have his David Bowie look-a-like goodness!

~Magus

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:34 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

I dont believe I am making it up-Ive never understood people who do-Ive got nothing to gain by it- Im pretty positive I saw him- because at the time the guy at Topless Robot- was talking about how awesome it was going to be to be able to buy this figure (since that was his favorite character)- I remember picking him up and thinking it looked as bad as the other figures-it was the first time I saw the Quorra as well and was disappointed she was helmeted. But it think this was almost 2 months ago.

I have been looking around for him again, (and I know that in of the wal Marts that I saw him in- has gotten rid of the entire tron section-- (and I cant find if they moved them to a clearance section somewhere else)-- There may be some creedence to the above statements though-- as I am starting to see pegs of quorras, and the second in Command guys- at targets (but no Castors).

I am still actively checking for you guys though, hopefully I will have some luck..

AS far as a few cases slipping through, there are multiple examples of this in many toylines---

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:26 pm 
Cold-cast

I'm pretty positive I saw a Castor too, just that false memory accusation has me doubting myself now. I remember picking it up, comparing it to Quorra and Jarvis, and actually thinking "Which one of these three should I get?"

Arggggg! :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: Why didn't I get the Castor when I saw one? This is one of the biggest regrets of my life. I just didn't know at the time how rare he was and that I'd never get a second chance.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:03 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

stewbacca wrote:
I dont believe I am making it up-Ive never understood people who do-Ive got nothing to gain by it- Im pretty positive I saw him- because at the time the guy at Topless Robot- was talking about how awesome it was going to be to be able to buy this figure (since that was his favorite character)- I remember picking him up and thinking it looked as bad as the other figures-it was the first time I saw the Quorra as well and was disappointed she was helmeted. But it think this was almost 2 months ago.

I have been looking around for him again, (and I know that in of the wal Marts that I saw him in- has gotten rid of the entire tron section-- (and I cant find if they moved them to a clearance section somewhere else)-- There may be some creedence to the above statements though-- as I am starting to see pegs of quorras, and the second in Command guys- at targets (but no Castors).

I am still actively checking for you guys though, hopefully I will have some luck..

AS far as a few cases slipping through, there are multiple examples of this in many toylines---

I know the Wal-Marts near me that had TRON: Legacy toys moved them to clearance if they had enough stock. I managed to pick up a Quorra for $5 that way, otherwise I wouldn't have (wasn't too happy with the helmeted only version of her or the other figures for that matter). All the same, they look cool on my desk at work next to the computer. Here's hoping a more competent toy company with better sculptors takes over the 3 3/4 inch line.

~Magus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:47 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0891199694

One has surfaced on ebay!