Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:45 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 481 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 33  Next
 Post subject: Re: Pet Peeves
PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2011 10:50 am 
willing to display nerd-rage meltdown for custom subnic

That's pretty sad zedhatch. I'm glad you chose discretion as the better part of valor.

As for the Hot Wheels guys, I've had the misfortune of seeing them as Target opens. They're absolutely hilarious. I've been tempted to trip them a couple of times, and then thought better of it. I think they can be reasonably categorized as the excrement of the collecting world, if not society as a whole.

I don't fail, I just succeed at finding ways that don't work.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 03, 2011 7:07 pm 

I can't believe I omitted this the first time I listed my pet peeves but...

People who cut in front of you in traffic, drive slow as hell in front of you when they do, and do so when there there wasn't a car behind you as far as the eye can see.

GRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:34 am 
proverbial old fart

zedhatch wrote:
Last week I was out of town and went to a Target, FINALLY saw Phasing Vision and Sunfire. This guy who looked JUST like Comic book guy on the Simpsons literally ran down the isle and snagged them as I was reaching for them (and of course they were the last on the shelf). I said something about being rude and pushing people and he started shouting at me and cursing. He acted like he was up for a fight but I knew that A. It's moronic to get into a physical confrinatation about toys and B. this guy was making a fool out of himself already, I didn't want to stoop down to meet him. C. no matter what I did I looked like an ass, even though I knew I could take him given he was breathing hard from the shouting. D. It's not my place to correct societies BS and E. I doubt he would have actually have struck first in which I will be at fault and go to jail which is not worth a phasing Vision or Sunfire (and I would still be out those anyway).

Anyway I just cleared out of there with the mom's and thier kids. Not worth the agrivation.

I wonder what the fat slob would have done if you had grabbed it back from him and told him to take his best shot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:40 am 
proverbial old fart

I have to relate a tale regarding rude people in stores. It took place almost 30 years ago, but I still laugh about it when I recall it.

It was a couple of days before Valentine's Day and I was in a very long que in a Hallmark store buying my wife a card.

The customer in front of me completed their transaction and as I moved up to the register an old man, probably in his mid-70's, darted in front of me (and everyone else waiting their turn).

The cashier, a young woman of High School age, looked at me and the old man, embarrassed. I smiled and said, "Go ahead and wait on him. He'll be dead before I will."

The entire line behind me erupted in laughter and the old man looked like his head would burst.

I don't care about age, gender, location. You should confront assholes whenever you run into them. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:45 am 
Aspires to be #1

I've got two new ones for today...

Random power outages for no reason at all

and

living close to your parents. I love them to death, they were wonderful parents, but I really don't need to live anywhere near them for the next 10-20 years.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 8:50 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

That one I can relate to. It's one of the reasons they live in WNY and I live in AZ. Once I went to college 1300 miles away and got to experience live away from home, I vowed to never live within 100 miles of them again. :lol:

And, except for a brief period post undergrad, I never did! :wink:

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Mon Apr 04, 2011 5:06 pm 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Gee, thanks guys.

I'm back stuck in the basement as I face yet ANOTHER unemployment... :(

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:33 am 
proverbial old fart

Shellhead wrote:
That one I can relate to. It's one of the reasons they live in WNY and I live in AZ. Once I went to college 1300 miles away and got to experience live away from home, I vowed to never live within 100 miles of them again. :lol:

Just wait until they become old and infirm and you have to relocate to "help take care of them."

That's how I ended up back in Oklahoma... :|

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:56 am 

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
Gee, thanks guys.

I'm back stuck in the basement as I face yet ANOTHER unemployment... :(

What happened Ben?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:05 am 

NY State and their asinine budget cuts.

I was lowest man on the totem pole so come June, I'm out of a teaching job again.

Already started looking for a new placement but they are estimating layoffs of teachers to be well over the 900 mark in the county so I'm not anticipating getting anything.

This might just be the incentive I need to get started as a freelance again, at least as something to do to fill some free time while I am looking and considering options.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:33 am 
Aspires to be #1

bnjmnrlyr wrote:

I was lowest man on the totem pole so come June, I'm out of a teaching job again.

Already started looking for a new placement but they are estimating layoffs of teachers to be well over the 900 mark in the county so I'm not anticipating getting anything.

This might just be the incentive I need to get started as a freelance again, at least as something to do to fill some free time while I am looking and considering options.

I'm worried about that too. Cuts have been huge and are still not final. My coaching position will probably save me but I really wanted to get out of that next year.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 9:38 am 

bnjmnrlyr wrote:

I'm so sorry to hear that Ben. I wish there was something I could do to help.

What would you be freelancing in? Art?

PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:09 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Glenn2000 wrote:
Shellhead wrote:

Just wait until they become old and infirm and you have to relocate to "help take care of them."

That's how I ended up back in Oklahoma... :|

When and if that point comes, they'll be coming out here to live near me, not vice versa. :wink:

As far as teaching goes, AZ has been cutting for the last 3 years. This year will be no different. On top of that, the state legislature passed a law banning seniority as a way to keep teachers (it's all test scores now). Because I teach science, I will have a job, but I don't know what I'll be teaching until next year.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

Post subject: Unemployed ... Again!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 05, 2011 10:34 am 

alcinde4 wrote:
bnjmnrlyr wrote:

I'm so sorry to hear that Ben. I wish there was something I could do to help.

What would you be freelancing in? Art?

Thought I would spin this out into its own thread ...

Yeah, I would try to get back into freelance Art.

The biggest hurdle is that I am very outdated. I learned Photoshop way back in the 2.0 build and really haven't used it for much since. I am very much into the traditional, tactile methods of creating.

Hurdle number 2 is that I am much more of an idea/critique artist than I am a production artist. I have some BRIEF experience as an Art Director and my strengths really lie in knowing the best solution for the problem, even identifiying who is best in what role and how to get it all together.

Without having current experience, portfolio, or contacts, this will be a very hard and uphill battle for something that I don't really have the passion for anymore (freelancing, not Art).

Add to that, I have over 20+ years of retail/retail management and another 15+ years of Hotel/Restaurant management experience outside of the Teaching credentials and 3 degrees and many employers are very scared to talk to me because I am "over qualified". (I like to think of it as very diverse, but that argument hasn't really won me any fights lately).

I'll keep you all posted if/when things change, but I've a feeling I'll be "settling" before I get into anything I really "want".

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:33 am 
Aspires to be #1

Fast food places who will only give you one or two sauce packets per order. If you're going to charge me 8 dollars for 3 chicken tenders, some old fries, and a flat coke then I could at least get two chipolte bbq packs you jerks!

Also, funny McDonalds story from Wednesday. I had the day off because I was going to take my PPR exam that day and I was supposed to be at the test center at noon so I wanted a small lunch to tide me over and there's a McDonalds on the way so I stopped there. I ordered two spicy chicken sandwiches, plain, and a coke. Luckily, I was eating in the car so I pulled the first sandwich out to eat it and the thing had so much mayonaise and lettuce that they were falling out of the sandwich. I checked the other one and it was the same way so I went back in to tell them my order was wrong. After waiting about 2 minutes for someone to come back to the front counter, I told them they messed up my two sandwiches and what I had...another 2 or 3 minutes later they replaced them and the woman at the counter apologized and said "let me give you one of our ______ pies so you can try it". No idea what she said but I guess they have 2 types of pies right now. Anyway, I pulled it out and it was in an apple pie box and it said sell by 10:30 on the side...this was 10:50. I just left the pie on the counter and walked off with a smirk.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 481 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 33  Next