Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:49 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Which toy lines would you like to be brought back
PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 5:17 pm 
5th Horseman

OK James what do you collect if you don't collect the collector stuff (Seeing Star Wars, G.I. Joe and most other lines are collector focused in some way, yes they are mainly targeted at kids but usually the lines that succeed are the ones that the collectors can get behind - Such as Star Wars, Marvel, DC, G.I. Joe, Transformers and numerous others (You know the ones that have proven track records from yesteryear)).

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 8:47 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I know it hasn't been gone lone but I really liked what Hasbro was doing with the Transformers Generations line. I would like to see that brought back so we could get updates on several minibots and the last few Autobot cars and trucks.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:56 pm 
Unbreakable

Wait for a non-movie year and Transformers Generations will be back with a different title. There is too much money to be made for Hasbro to ignore that type of line.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:50 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

Although Sesame Street makes me sad-- this makes me miserable.

Also would like to see the unproduced Tale Spin, and the return of Gargoyles..

Also Wuzzles and Gummi Bears....

and G.I. Joe Combat Heroes (vintage -non movie) and Galactic Heroes..

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:43 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I would buy a good chunk of an updated Gargoyles line.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 6:39 pm 
5th Horseman

Stew I didn't even know they were going to do a Darkwing Duck line, crap I would have bought from that, actually I would have been a completist on that line.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:10 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

GreenArrow wrote:
Stew I didn't even know they were going to do a Darkwing Duck line, crap I would have bought from that, actually I would have been a completist on that line.

That's the unproduced second series he posted, the first series did make it out and was fantastic for it's time.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:37 pm 
Cold-cast

GreenArrow wrote:
OK James what do you collect if you don't collect the collector stuff (Seeing Star Wars, G.I. Joe and most other lines are collector focused in some way, yes they are mainly targeted at kids but usually the lines that succeed are the ones that the collectors can get behind - Such as Star Wars, Marvel, DC, G.I. Joe, Transformers and numerous others (You know the ones that have proven track records from yesteryear)).

I collect any toyline that is going to have a nostalgia factor for a certain age group in the future.

While Marvel Universe and G.I. Joe are bought by a lot of adult collectors, they still are bought much more by parents for their kids to play with.

It is only when a line is almost exclusively geared towards adult collectors that I shy away from it. Like the MOTU classics line. I don't see any nostalgia for these figures in the future because not many kids are playing with them. The only nostalgia possibly will be from grown men toy collectors, like "Yeah, remember that time I was grown man and spent all my money on MOTU classics? Those were the days! I want something to remind me of that!"

Any toyline that is brought back is going to have to have some media, whether a show, videogame, or something, to go with it. Otherwise it's only going to be bought by adult toy collectors and no kids.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:40 pm 
5th Horseman

James your funny, you stated you didn't collect any collector focused brands, where as all brands are somewhat focused towards collectors, I am not saying kids don't have first say, but without the collectors you would get what is happening with the GL figures (figures that aren't moving) and the Thor line as well.

And even if your collecting to make money in the future you must be collecting as you put it "Nostalgia Brands for the Future" (read as collectible items that someday some collector will want to buy, so your collecting collector based lines), then can you not see your collecting collector based lines for the future.

Most people on here have lived through these toy line pasts that they want brought back so they can re-own them (and it doesn't cost them their next born child), hence they become collectibles like He-Man and Thundercats, or in the case of Sesame Street and WV2 of Darkwing Duck never made it out.

NOTE: Any toyline that is brought back is going to have to have some media, whether a show, videogame, or something, to go with it. Otherwise it's only going to be bought by adult toy collectors and no kids.

Thats BS for the simple fact the corps line of figures or chap mei line of figures are bought by kids and for kids, kids love these toy brands and their cheap so mom's and dad's love them as well, I haven't seen any media for these brands - unless you know of some.

Last edited by GreenArrow on Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:10 am, edited 12 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:51 pm 
5th Horseman

Thanks Jim I didn't even know they had made any, oooohhh I will have to see what they are going for as I wouldn't mind a loose set.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2011 9:15 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

kevfett wrote:
Wait for a non-movie year and Transformers Generations will be back with a different title. There is too much money to be made for Hasbro to ignore that type of line.

Yeah I think that will definitely happen, especially if the IDW Transformers book does well.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:28 am 
shirtless hugger

JamesTheRogue wrote:
I collect any toyline that is going to have a nostalgia factor for a certain age group in the future.

I've talked to other collectors who have said the same thing.

One said he tried to find the overlooked toys that children might be nostalgic for when they reach adulthood. His example, and this was several years ago, was Mars Attacks. He felt adult collectors were not interested, but boys were, and that the value would increase over time.

A quick look on eBay shows that Mars Attacks figures have not increased that much in the 15 years since the movie came out. So who really knows? It's hard to gauge the future.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 11:55 am 
Aspires to be #1

No offense James but in my opinion, that's a pretty stupid reason to collect toys.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:21 pm 
Cold-cast

It is only one of many I have.

Aside from the nostalgia, I also like original toylines because I find them more interesting.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:18 am 
Still ahead of Mudd

GreenArrow wrote:
Thanks Jim I didn't even know they had made any, oooohhh I will have to see what they are going for as I wouldn't mind a loose set.

Figures include

Darkwing
Launchpad
Honker
Gosalyn
Tuskernini
Bushroot
Steelbeak
Megavolt

Also the Thunderquack and the Ratcatcher..