Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 6:09 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: The UNOFFICIAL Ghostbusters Thread: SDCC Stay Puft Probl
PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 6:27 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

what is "Ghostbusters 6" Ray Stantz with Cinema Ghost (Club Ecto-1 Fig)"? what is the cinema ghost? which ray is this? isnt this the 4th ray now? we have 3 egons, 2 peters, 2 winstons and 4 rays? is it ray from gb2?

EDIT: ok, i just realized the cinema ghost is from gb2, which means the ray figure probably is, too. has it been shown somewhere?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:30 pm 

when i was over on the matty 2012 subscription page trying to figure out if the exclusive Voltron figure for the "Lion Club" was a broom, i came across something that requires some speculation (on behalf of myself, TRDouble and the maybe one other person that reads this thread). anybody else see this?

About 2012 Club Ecto-1
Thanks to an incredible showing by loyal Ghostbusters™ fans, the first year for Club Ecto-1 has been a huge success. In fact, the club is doing better than we ever dreamed so it’s a total “go” for 2012, too! Like Club Eternia®, we’ll divulge the basics in a few weeks, then all the details on July 22nd, including the club-exclusive figure. The one thing I will tell you now is that there’s something coming you’ve been asking for since the beginning. What could it be, what could it be??

What have we been asking for since the beginning...

MORE GHOSTS kinda vague, kinda doubt it. unless they're instituting a policy of having a certain number of single carded ghosts in 2012 or something, but i doubt that too.
VIGO THE CARPATHIAN specifically. i hope not. i hope they don't waste anymore 2-3-month-apart slots on characters from GB2 or...
THE REAL GHOSTBUSTERS IN SCALE ACTION FIGURES seem like a huge expense for a less-than-secure pay-off. again, i hope not.
ECTO-1 would be really expensive, considering Stay-Puft is $70 and he's pretty much just a wad of packing foam. maybe, i mean EVERYONE has asked for it, but I'd be surprised if it had anything to do with Club Ecto-1. Um, other than the name, i mean. maybe they didnt mean it had anything to do with the club, they were just tagging that on at the end. an actual in-scale Ecto-1 would be so awesome. and expensive.
ROOFTOP DIORAMA doesn't really get me too excited personally, but i know a lot of people want it. seems easy to do if they go with the 2-d printed off-scale kinda thing they're doing with stay puft's packaging. maybe it's in sections, like one piece comes w gozer, and the rest comes w each of the terror dogs. maybe.
CANS OF ECTO-PLAZM ok, maybe that was just me who said anything about it, but if club eternia can give away an awesome map of eternia, ecto-1 can throw in a little complimentary can of snot. also, change the label on the can and you've got your 2012 club eternia giveaway, too: SLIME! you could realistically even put the same stuff in both cans, since the EP in the movie was the same color as the Horde Slime. still, i doubt that's what it is, either.
DANA OR JANINE would be awesome, and we know they have the rights to do both, but i somehow doubt that one of those 2 characters is what Mattel is referring to as "something coming you’ve been asking for since the beginning".
WEAPONS/ACCESSORY PACKwould. be. friggin. rad. imagine all the stuff they could cram in. one each of the traps, pke meter, book stack, sniffer, logo base, particle streams, goggles, walkie talkies and whatever else i'm forgetting right now! dope! probably not it, though, since they've said that they're holding off on a weapons pack to incintivize people to buy the figures even if the pack in is the only thing they want. on the other hand, every single figure so far is sold out, and i personally have missed a few accessories i would like because they came with a figure i had no interest whatsoever in. ooh. what if they made a ghost pack, too, down the road with slimer, the subway, librarian, cinema and logo ghosts and the scolaris. i need to tell someone that idea! who am i going to call?

BUT, if i read this as though they wrote it to me, as though i am the "you" that's been asking since the beginning for something, then that something is probably Tallahassee from Zombieland . Woody Harrelson's head on a Venkman figure body with a vaccuum cleaner accessory. THAT would be so awesome, and would be the thing FOR SURE that would make me buy the script next year.

Seriously, though, it's probably Ecto-1. I think that's the only single item everyone has been yelling for since day 1. I just can't fathom how they're going to make it less than $100 without making it out of cardboard or only big enough for one figure at a time.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:02 am 
Excelsior!

The first thing I thought of was the Ecto-1. But when I thought of cost for a in-scale Ecto-1... naaawwww!

Dana or Janine would rank just above a weapons/accessories pack, which I think might be the best guess for the $20 subscription fee, but along with ghosts, Mattel is loathe to give us weapons/accessories as anything but pack-ins.

Real Ghostbusters would be changing the dynamics a bit too much; I want real Ghostbusters, not the Real Ghostbusters :D

But, thinking in that vein, along with the Ecto-1 and the expense for one in-scale with the 6-Inch figures, the one other thing I remember people clamoring for and rumors that never came to be were 3-3/4-Inch Ghostbusters. A scaled 3-3/4-Inch Ecto-1 w/Ray Stantz would be a heck of a way to kick off a 3-3/4" Ghostbusters line that could be expanded into the Real Ghostbusters perhaps easier than the 6-Inch line.

Again though, that changes the dynamics of the subscription (the 12-Inch figures were never in the subs) and besides from the movie Avatar, we know Mattel doesn't do the 3-3/4" scale well. I never purchased an Avatar figure, but if they were as good out of the package as they looked in, and I got an in-scale Ecto-1, I'd be interested!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 6:09 am 
Excelsior!

Oh, and reading it out of the context that this thing may not be a part of the subscription, it could be a Proton Pack prop. Pricey, but people have asked for it.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:53 am 
ABS

my hope is to one day get a line of extreme ghostbusters figures. if that ever happens i would crap myself out of excitement :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 11:21 am 

haha, thank you, "TRDouble and the maybe one other person that reads this thread".

so, anyone hear anything further about the possible stay puft man foam cracking issues?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 2:02 pm 
Excelsior!

Well, since I started the thread, I feel obligated to post here every once in a while, usually when you remind me that the thread still exists, shishalzafrazz! I wonder if Mattel considers us the fan base that is incredibly not passionate and quiet online but when it comes to actual sales they just are there :mrgreen:

Anyhoo, I haven't heard a thing about the Mr. Stay Puft since the initial info came out. I don't know if much else was said about the Swamp Thing's wrists either. At this point, I am heavily leaning on saving my $70 plus shipping... well, more like spending it elsewhere, maybe on Voltron just to get maximum shipping value when I (probably) buy Swamp Thing. I just don't think I can part with $70 for a soft foam figure; it just doesn't sound like something that has longevity of life.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:34 pm 

i'm kinda on the fence myself. i don't want poor sales of stay puft to give mattel the impression that we wont pony up cash for bigger more expensive items, but i also don't want to encourage mattel giving us underscale items made of sub-par materials at high prices and expect us to buy them just because they're out there. i am NOT going to buy ecto-1 if it's a flimsy piece of crap or only sits 2 figures at a time. then again, since the packs don't come off, it may be hard to fit even 2 figures in there, but that's a rant for another time. stay puft as-is, i could see paying $50 with shipping. for $70 PLUS shipping, i want something 5-10 inches taller with an exoskin that isnt going to look like an old dish sponge by the time sdcc12 rolls around.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 3:39 pm 

my main concern, which i believe is whole-heartedly founded in reality, is that if this stay puft doesnt do well, not only will we not get an ecto-1, but we also wont be getting another crack at stay puft. frowny face.

by the way, remember how palisades used to embed magnets in the muppet figures' heads and hats? why cant mattel do that with the proton packs so's they can be removed easily without pegs & holes? in fact, why not make an ecto-1 club exclusive 4 pack of all four busters in original gear with removable magnetic proton packs as a companion piece to an in-scale ecto-1 (THAT'S NOT MADE OUT OF A BIODEGRADABLE FOAM THAT HAS A HALF LIFE OF 6 MONTHS) that has the pack rack in the back?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 7:18 pm 
Excelsior!

shishalzafrazz, I think your concerns about a slow or bad selling Stay Puft are well founded. That's standard fare for all toy companies, to not make items and blame the consumer for slow sales of previous, similar items because we were smart enough not to waste our dollars on sub-standard product! Which is not to say that the Stay Puft is sub-standard... but I don't know and I don't have $70 to gamble away on it either.

As for the magnetic proton packs.... brilliant idea! But that was the difference between Palisades and a company like Mattel -- thinking outside of the box to best accommodate the collector instead of going the easiest, cheapest route to maximize profits. Of course, that is why Palisades sits in the toy graveyard and Mattel is the World's #1 Toy company :oops:

But I think the design of the Ghostbusters was done since Mattel had no intentions of ever releasing a in-scale Ecto-1. Too bad. Remember the Mattel 6-Inch figure scaled Batmobile? a two-seater! I'd love a 1:6th scale R/C Ecto-1, like the Batman Begins Tumbler, even if it didn't fit the sixth-scale Ghostbusters. Sadly, those days are long gone. A 20-Inch Stay Puft, which in itself sounds impressive before you read that he is made out of soft foam, is one of the few large scale toy items we ever see these days, bringing back full circle your concern of the repercussions if sales are slow and low on this item.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:17 pm 
Daniel Pickett

Since the time of Palisades Muppets line there have been some issues and some recalls of toys with magnets in them. Mattel a part of some of those recalls with their plush "The Batman" line of figures, so I don't think they will be dipping their toes back in that water any time soon even with a collector line.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:31 pm 
serves the Otter

I really wanted to get this Stay Puft when I first heard about it, especially after seeing the awesome New York diorama it comes with, but $70 is too much to risk on a foam toy that will most likely start cracking in a short time. With something this big, a lot of us will have to store it away in a closet, and closets can get pretty hot throughout the year. That kind of heat is going to ruin this figure within a couple years. We're probably better off settling for the smaller scale PLASTIC version that DST produced. Sure the DST version is a bank, but that aspect of the toy is barely noticable.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:10 pm 
Excelsior!

JuliusMarx wrote:
Since the time of Palisades Muppets line there have been some issues and some recalls of toys with magnets in them. Mattel a part of some of those recalls with their plush "The Batman" line of figures, so I don't think they will be dipping their toes back in that water any time soon even with a collector line.

That's too bad. I know SSC still uses magnets, but I can see how a company like Mattel would want to avoid them if there have been issues in the past.

shabbyblue wrote:
I really wanted to get this Stay Puft when I first heard about it, especially after seeing the awesome New York diorama it comes with, but $70 is too much to risk on a foam toy that will most likely start cracking in a short time. With something this big, a lot of us will have to store it away in a closet, and closets can get pretty hot throughout the year. That kind of heat is going to ruin this figure within a couple years. We're probably better off settling for the smaller scale PLASTIC version that DST produced. Sure the DST version is a bank, but that aspect of the toy is barely noticeable.

the DST bank is great! I initially bought it to go with the minimates, but it makes for a nice background display piece with the Mattel figures too. Especially if you add your own NYC backdrop (which I swiped from Millionaire Playboy's site).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:38 pm 

So, turns out the thing we've been asking for since the beginning is not only going to be directly linked with the club sub (and probably the club exclusive figure), it also looks like it's a "someone" as opposed to a vehicle, ghost, beast, diorama, can of goop, weapon's pack or scale change. here's the details so far:

Now entering its second year, Club Ecto-1 is set to deliver more of everyone's favorite ectoplasmic exterminators, the Ghostbusters™… including someone you've been waiting for!

Overview of Club Ecto-1

•As a member in Club Ecto-1, you're guaranteed to get all six of the 6" Ghostbusters™ figures released during the year, plus a club-exclusive figure.
•About every other month in 2012 (beginning in January), you're automatically shipped the Club Ecto-1 figure. Figures are billed as they are shipped. The club-exclusive and January and March figures will be announced at the Mattypalooza fan panel at SDCC on 7/22, then here right after the panel.
•Special convention items, reissues, props and accessories are not included. Mattel reserves the right to offer those and any other Ghostbusters™ items, and reissue non-subscription items. Subscriptions will not include any additional items beyond those listed below.

Subscription Cost

•Monthly figures: 6 @ $20 = $120
•Club-exclusive figure/signup: $20 = $20
•TOTAL $140 plus shipping/taxes/fees

so, i'd guess it's either a non-essential or part 2 version of a character they haven't yet released, like sweatsuit dana or janine with a bob haircut from 2, or its Vigo or Gozer, although it seems odd to release them as a club exclusive since there's most likely only going to be one version of each of those characters, or it's WOODY F***ING HARRELSON FROM ZOMBIELAND!!!! i dont think thats actually who it is, unfortunately. i think it's janine from 2.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:02 am 
serves the Otter

What are you basing your speculation on? I haven't seen anything yet to hint at what the subscription figure this year will be. I think it's likely to be some minor variant that not everyone will require in their collection, just like with marshmellow Ray last year, but where are you getting the idea that it's going to be someone more unique like Dana, Janine, Gozer, or Vigo?

What we DO know is that one of the final two figures in the 2011 lineup WILL be a non-Ghostbuster. I'm looking forward to seeing who it is at SDCC.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 16  Next