Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 9:48 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
 Post subject: Re: Farewell DCUC...we barely knew ye...
PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:42 pm 
Brand Manager

In case anybody cares I just got wave 17 from Target. Man these are underwhelming WW cant really hold her lantern,one of lexs forearms does not turn by design,no handle on lex lantern. But I will admit white Hal really pops. Scarecrow is very creepy and well done. Wonder Womans scuplt is pretty nice. I got the guy to bring the whole case from out back and of course a case of 8 with 2 all stars so I still need the Black lantern Hal. MM and Supes were the All stars.

And I am not sexiest I just do not have that much faith from what I have seen so far a fan girl. Dear god to a I pray I am wrong.....

PostPosted: Mon Jul 25, 2011 3:43 pm 
Aspires to be #1

The orange lantern isn't supposed to have a handle.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:12 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I hope to starting finding DCUC 17 in my area I want the blue flash

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:12 am 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

Great post on the Fwoosh...it applies more towards the comics, but certainly ties into this thread discussion and the DCnU...

Peter Hoffman wrote:
My problems with the New 52 has nothing to do with the designs. I don't particularly like some of them, but bad designs come and go, they're a part of the medium.

What I hate about the New 52 is the short-sightedness and, for lack of a better word, laziness of it.

When I compare it to what Marvel has done with their characters over the last 10 or so years, it stands out as being careless and disrespectful. Marvel has invested time and work into revitalizing specific characters. They carefully crafted their stories to bring characters out of ruts they were in. They respected the characters enough to not just wipe away what came before and re-create them in a way they thought was "better".

They may have sacrificed some attention in doing so, but the long-term investment has been well worth it. And they did so without alienating a large group of their faithful followers. I am grateful to Marvel for loving and caring for their characters, and treating their longtime fans with the respect we deserve.

With DC, it just feels like they wanted a solution right away. They didn't want to invest time and effort into crafting their characters and stories. They said to their longtime fans "we don't really care about who IS buying our product...we're more interested in who ISN'T." And they said as much in their marketing for the reboot. Everything was about the "new generation", who they want to read their books tomorrow. Which is a part of marketing, but you need to walk a fine line between gaining new customers and keeping your old ones.

I still like DC. I'm not a person who is going to boycot anything DC related. But I haven't, and will not, buy a New 52 comic book. Not out of principle, not to boycot, not to punish DC. They just aren't my DC characters. It's not my DC universe. I have no longer have a connection to the characters or the stories.

Sadly, I don't think DC comics will ever be the same for me. Even if they decided to "go back", things would still be different.

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:31 am 
declined to be a vampire

I've not been a huge fan of a lot of the DCnU stuff so far. With that said, I don't know that I agree with this assessment. IMO, to do what they've done, is the exact opposite of laziness, IMO. "Cop out" way to try things maybe, but not lazy. Essentially they have to decide what is and isn't cannon, etc, and that seems to be more work.

I don't think they needed to modernize the entire DCU. Some characters maybe, but I was really enjoying comics over the last few years. Superman may never be the same for me though.

I do agree with his last line there. And I think at some point they will go back and "mix" this world with the old one.

The Superfly wrote:
Great post on the Fwoosh...it applies more towards the comics, but certainly ties into this thread discussion and the DCnU...

Peter Hoffman wrote:
My problems with the New 52 has nothing to do with the designs. I don't particularly like some of them, but bad designs come and go, they're a part of the medium.

What I hate about the New 52 is the short-sightedness and, for lack of a better word, laziness of it.

When I compare it to what Marvel has done with their characters over the last 10 or so years, it stands out as being careless and disrespectful. Marvel has invested time and work into revitalizing specific characters. They carefully crafted their stories to bring characters out of ruts they were in. They respected the characters enough to not just wipe away what came before and re-create them in a way they thought was "better".

They may have sacrificed some attention in doing so, but the long-term investment has been well worth it. And they did so without alienating a large group of their faithful followers. I am grateful to Marvel for loving and caring for their characters, and treating their longtime fans with the respect we deserve.

With DC, it just feels like they wanted a solution right away. They didn't want to invest time and effort into crafting their characters and stories. They said to their longtime fans "we don't really care about who IS buying our product...we're more interested in who ISN'T." And they said as much in their marketing for the reboot. Everything was about the "new generation", who they want to read their books tomorrow. Which is a part of marketing, but you need to walk a fine line between gaining new customers and keeping your old ones.

I still like DC. I'm not a person who is going to boycot anything DC related. But I haven't, and will not, buy a New 52 comic book. Not out of principle, not to boycot, not to punish DC. They just aren't my DC characters. It's not my DC universe. I have no longer have a connection to the characters or the stories.

Sadly, I don't think DC comics will ever be the same for me. Even if they decided to "go back", things would still be different.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:39 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

Aquaman has never been better than he is in the New DC. So the reboot's okay by me.

Granted, Marvel is my primary universe. I didn't collect DC regularly until the 90's.

But Aquaman was always my favorite DC character from the time I was a little kid. I had the Mego and I watched the original series. So, for me. Aquaman's rebirth trumps the rest of the DCU.

Having Babs as Batgirl again doesn't hurt either.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:41 am 
Collector Inspector

The only titles I actually 'love' with the DCnU books have been Aquaman and the Court of Owls storyline in the Bat books and neither of these needed a cosmic reboot to be told. All of the other changes feel like change for change sake. Batman is nicer! Superman is meaner! The Flash HAS to run! The Justice League NEVER adds new members! Amanda Waller is thin! It feels like the new 52 is a massive showcase of "come see what's different" more than "come read our improved stories."

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 8:55 am 
Aspires to be #1

The new GL title is pretty good too. Yesterdays issue was fantastic actually. I and agree about Aquaman and Batgirl. Most of the others....were fine in the old DC.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:05 am 
declined to be a vampire

j1h15233 wrote:
The new GL title is pretty good too. Yesterdays issue was fantastic actually. I and agree about Aquaman and Batgirl. Most of the others....were fine in the old DC.

The thing with GL...he wasn't really rebooted. It had been a great book before.

I have over 50 + trades with the following: j1h15233, Joe G, ElvisBatman, Riddler2403, 20Silence, Sweeney, Batsonthebrain, Wildcard, Lance, The Question, Thebigzakbowski, MrJasonTodd, Grimace404, Boots Baily , brenticles, Darknight30, Kcbstuff, Funtime

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:18 am 
Aspires to be #1

Bunger43 wrote:
j1h15233 wrote:

Yea I know but they did make a lot of changes around GL.

Spoiler: show
Hal lost his ring, the indigo tribes story has been revealed, the SC has been decimated and the red lanterns are lucid

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 9:55 am 
declined to be a vampire

j1h15233 wrote:

Yea I know but they did make a lot of changes around GL.

Spoiler: show
Hal lost his ring, the indigo tribes story has been revealed, the SC has been decimated and the red lanterns are lucid
[/quote]

Agreed the stories have been good, but I look at that and think "DCnU doesn't really apply here"

I'm sure it will more as they interact with the rest of the DCU

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:08 am 
active in the community

I can't deny DC needed something different. I wasn't against rebooting the universe, but I'm wholeheartedly half assing it. If they were going to start fresh then everything should have gone back to square one. To me this was a gimmick to show the bean counters hey look we can spike sales but have no long term plans for our vast characters and fan base. Wally West held the mantle of Flash almost longer than Barry Allen. Now it's, Wally West who? Don't get me started about the Tron Titans.

E-I-C Bob Harras, who famously was the E-I-C of Marvel when it entered into banckruptcy, and gave us the Spider-Man Clone Saga. Why is this person in charge and letting 90's era talent have free reign with the toys? For flimmerflog's sake Rob Liefield is plotting/writing 3 books.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:17 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I think that has more to do with Jim Lee calling in a favor than it does Bob Harras, but yeah, WTF?!?

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 10:21 am 
Wonderdog

I agree that the New 52 is lackluster, but I disagree that Marvel is doing a much better job. They're doing it differently, but it's still equally lazy and equally shortsighted, if those are the terms we're using. Particularly in terms of showing respect to their loyal readers & customers.

Maybe 10 years ago they were doing well with that, but lately (past 3 years or so especially), everything feels so half-assed. Non-stop events that don't even have strong enough ideas to support them for one thing. Avengers vs. X-Men is pretty poor IMO. The characters are acting so out-of-character that it almost feels like Secret Invasion pt. 2. Cap deceiving Wolverine and kicking him off a plane? Cyclops advocating for the Phoenix force? None of it rings true to me, and I've been reading Marvel comics for around 30 years now.

And then there is the sheer number of titles a person needs to read. I'm sorry, but there's just no need for 3 Cap titles. or 4 Thor titles, and certainly not for 5 Deadpool titles. And don't even get me started on X-Men. And on top of everything, once you do shell out all the money to "keep up," you come to the realization that nothing is really happening anyway. In today's economy, with the prices they're charging, who can actually afford that many comics a month? Nobody who has the time to read 'em.

I don't feel like Marvel is showing their readers much respect at all. I think they're trying to squeeze them for every last penny they can, while giving them the poorest quality product since the 90s.

Just my 2¢.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 2:06 pm 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I can't really disagree with you. I'm very burned out on Avengers, so much so that I'm two months behind on all those books.

Kinda sad that the movie was so good, but the comic books are currently pretty bad.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 106 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next