Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: SDCC: Shocker Toys panel
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 9:13 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

Man, that sucks. Both for those people and for the Tick. Well, I guess I mean fans of the Tick. The Tick would certainly consider that a mockery of justice, but he doesnt tend to go on message boards.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:34 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

This is all speculation, but for those lamenting Shocker Toys holding the license of a character they like, chances are it doesn't matter. Most likely another company could pursue the license if they wanted it and make figures too.

Historically, Geoff has paid little to nothing for the licenses he acquires, leaving everything on the back end. Because he wasn't paying for it, the licenses were never exclusives. That's why Marvel Toys/Toybiz could make LCBH figures of characters Geoff thought he had wrapped up.

Additionally, if a license holder chose to go with another company, after the years and years of endless delays, chances are they would be able to nullify any contract for non-performance on Geoff's part.

So if there is a character you want made into a toy that Shocker has announced as part of series whatever of Indie Spotlight, don't worry that it will never get made. Sure, chances are it will never be made by Geoff, but that doesn't preclude someone else from acquiring the license and making it. Don't bother pre-ordering with Geoff, thinking it will help to get them made. He'll just spend your money on strippers in San Diego (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v509/ ... ocking.jpg). Instead, try writing the license holder and telling them directly that they should be going with someone else. Try writing one of the smaller companies and suggesting that they pursue the license. Chances are you'll get the figure you want way before Geoff ever gets around to it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:15 pm 
my apartment smells of rich mahogany

Hm. is one of those guys "geoff"? geoff who's keeping me from my tick figures?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:39 pm 
Daniel Pickett

Geoff is the bearded guy on the far left.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:23 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

I guess we know where the pre-order money went. In singles.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:12 pm 
We're going streaking!

That's too bad. Of the three Shocker Toys figures I own, they were all decent figures. Kabuki could have been better, but they would not be the first company to struggle at making appealing female action figures. I was also hopeful they would get their act together because I really wanted the Yellow Coat Variant Dick Tracey, The Phantom, Zorro and Captain Action. Since Toy Biz went away, no one is making these kind of figures and in this style.
When Indie Spotlight Series 1 showed up at TRU, I was hopeful. Now? I guess if I am willing to pay for the manufacturing of the figures or a variant, that might be the only way I see these figures get made.

Never say never, but...