Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next
 Post subject: Re: The UNOFFICIAL Ghostbusters Thread: Anyone Get Mr Stay P
PostPosted: Fri Jul 29, 2011 8:02 pm 
We're going streaking!

Well, we shall see how Monday goes. Unfortunately, now I have things going on Monday, but hopefully I will be in front of a computer at Noon to (attempt to) buy whatever I want to buy. Right now, Mr. Stay Puft is ahead of Swamp Thing, which is sliding on my list (mostly because I don't care about Swamp Thing; I do care about Mr. Stay Puft!).

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 7:45 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Picked up 6 for my pre-order at SDCC and looking to pick up 6 more on Monday's sale.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:39 am 
serves the Otter

RemigioSchwartz wrote:
Picked up 6 for my pre-order at SDCC and looking to pick up 6 more on Monday's sale.

12 Stay Pufts?? WTF. Hope you're not some Ebay scalper bragging about his big score. I thought they limited the quantity at SDCC due to the limited numbers, so how the hell did you get 6?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:42 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

shabbyblue wrote:
RemigioSchwartz wrote:

12 Stay Pufts?? WTF. Hope you're not some Ebay scalper bragging about his big score. I thought they limited the quantity at SDCC due to the limited numbers, so how the hell did you get 6?

That's a great question, I'd like you to explain why you need 12 Mr. Stay Pufts?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:46 am 
shirtless hugger

JediJones wrote:
Anyone think they held the major bulk of these back for Matty? Due to the sheer size they just may not have logistically been able to transport that many of them to SDCC and have a place to store them there. They may also have felt people wouldn't want to lug them around at SDCC or would have no way of transporting them back home if they traveled from out-of-state. I find it hard to believe they would limit such a lynchpin of the Ghostbusters line to a low number, especially since this is their second most major line they push on Matty.

You could be right, but I wouldn't take the risk that they will be easy to get on Monday. Scalpers are already swarming. Just take a look at the above post from the guy who wants a dozen.

Mattel might have underestimated demand this time around.

The figures are really not that hard to get in and out of San Diego. Mattel is based in Los Angeles, and its storage units are probably located near the port, so it would have been easy to truck the figures to San Diego. And the convention center must provide storage space. There seemed to be a steady stream of workers with handtrucks heading to and from the Mattel and Hasbro stores on the convention floor.

Plus, the box Stay Puft comes in has a handle, so it's pretty easy for an attendee to carry it around.

Also, I think anyone who flew to San Diego for Comic-Con shipped stuff home. That's what I always do. You can never fit it all in your suitcase.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 12:53 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

RemigioSchwartz wrote:

Hopefully this is a philanthropic move to help those of us who cant get a stay puft now to get one from you at regular price later?

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:05 pm 
My heart is of low-durometer PVC

The Matty SDCC pre-order voucher bundle page says there was a limit of 6 per person. I believe it will be the same on Monday. I think their normal releases are usually limited to 10 per person and their SDCC stuff to 6 per person. I still don't recall any SDCC stuff they've offered since the MOTUC line launched being a truly instant sellout the way HTS exclusives usually are. It seems Matty allocates a much higher portion of products to the web site than HTS does.

http://www.mattycollector.com/store/mat ... 8047770009

Just looking at the SDCC stuff, Marshmallow Man is the only one that's really a "core" character to the license. Everything else is a minor character, a test launch, an oddball one-off, or a new version of a character that they've made in some form before.

I find it really hard to believe they'd overly limit the number they made of Marshy. They know Ghostbusters fans have been clamoring for more ghosts, and besides the Terror Dogs and Vigo, this is the only major one they have left to make. It's by far the most well-known character and the most appealing of all their SDCC exclusives this year to casual buyers who aren't actively collecting one of these lines.

On the other hand they could have been conservative based on the price or the desire not to get stuck with a huge amount of oversized overstock. Maybe they'll leave themselves a loophole where they could rerelease it later without the diorama and/or with a different facial expression.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 1:16 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I was kinda thinking that might be the case, too, especially if they did actually make a very small number of these and it's not just some marketing ploy to send everyone into a buy-now panic like the dcuc sub that "wont happen" unless 20,000 people buy 5 subs each in one week with basically no notice and very little explanation. However, I feel like it wouldnt make sense to do away with the diorama entirely, because it's kind of already built in to the packaging, unless i've been looking at it wrong, but an angry face variant with a rooftop diorama as a later release might be a good move, even for people who have the sdcc exclusive happy face version. i mean, the guys never really fought him from the ground anyway. if you printed it to look like the side of the building, you could make it where it stood up and they could stand on top of it and stay puft could be displayed in front of it as though he were scaling the builing. then just throw in a gozer platform add on backdrop piece (like how the ecto 1 piece is separate) to go on top behind the guys and viola!

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2011 2:15 pm 
An Insider

I know the limit at the show was 6

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:30 am 
shirtless hugger

I'm officially back in for the Ghostbusters line (cause we all need to spend more $$$ on toys). I ordered a Stay Puft (and I'm utterly bummed he won't ship for another friggin' week!).

Anyway, I figured if I'm back in, I should at least review 'em to get my money's worth. :P

Slimeblower Winston is up now at IAT:

http://www.itsalltrue.net/

I've gone back and picked up a lot of the older figures (not all of 'em, but most) and I'm waffling on if I should review 'em or not, but I'm happy to have 'em at least!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 4:43 am 
Loose, Missing Package

NoisyDvL5 wrote:
I've gone back and picked up a lot of the older figures (not all of 'em, but most) and I'm waffling on if I should review 'em or not, but I'm happy to have 'em at least!

By all means REVIEW 'EM! Even if you don't review them individually, you gotta do something with them, your review photos are priceless!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:32 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

shishalzafrazz wrote:
RemigioSchwartz wrote:

Hopefully this is a philanthropic move to help those of us who cant get a stay puft now to get one from you at regular price later?

Picked them up for friends that couldn't attend SDCC.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:52 am 
We're going streaking!

Go a head and review them, NoisyDvL5. I am glad to see that you picked up Walter Peck. I skipped him initially as I only wanted the main four, but I decided to grab him during one of the first of Matty's many "Back In-Stock" sales and I haven't regretted it!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:16 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Yeah, it really is an amazing likeness of Atherton. Peck is one of the few figures I am super tempted to open, mostly just to get a good look at that containment unit. I know most everybody was cold on it, but I was really excited, as it was our first non-gb figure in the line, and what a huge gesture as to the direction they were wanting to go with it. I am a little surprised, after that, that most of the figures since have been variants of the main guys.

One thing i thought of in the other thread was since they dont want to do an accessory pack straight up, that maybe they could do another 4 pack like the gb2 xmas pack, but instead of slimer, have a bunch of ghostbusting equipment and release haggard over-worked versions of the guys from 1 without thier packs, like unshaven, sleeves rolled up, shirts unbuttoned, oil and slime stained uniforms. that would be a cool variant that people have been asking for with not a WHOLE LOT of new tooling, and a good way to sell an expensive accessory pack if people didnt want those figures. then, release the four proton packs as clip on or whatever with Ecto-1 which i insist they make at some point.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:50 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

RemigioSchwartz wrote:

Picked them up for friends that couldn't attend SDCC.

when I inquired, this was the first of a couple of reasons given:
"I'm a private collector. I purchase extra's in hopes of trading for figures I need. Do you private message everyone that posts? Just wondering what your intentions are on your end."

and then it was:
"Well I'm ordering for friends today that couldn't make the Matty sale today. Also I don't really think it's your business or opinion to judge with what I do with my money. Not trying to be rude but I don't tell anyone how they should spend their money and I'd appreciate if you don't ask me a personal question about what I do with my finances. And other collectors have the same chance to order them as I have so if they really wanted him then they would have purchased him since he was available on Mattycollector for about an hour and 15 minutes."

I think I can let you all draw your own conclusions.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 230 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 ... 16  Next