Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:41 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: What if......Mattel and a JLU Subcription...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:06 pm 
wears suits so fine they make Sinatra look like a hobo

As we fight the battle so familiar to the JLU crew, (who did an amazing job with their own campaign)...I started to wonder...

If we can get this DCUC Sub to go through by Monday, show the Mattel execs and bean-counters that DC fans DO matter and we ARE willing to pay for DC action figures in a Subscription format...could it be possible to get a JLU Subscription program next year?

This Club Infinite Earths could have more meaning than we realize - this DCUC Sub could be a way for us to "prove" to Mattel that we are willing to buy into a Sub program, and maybe sway them into giving JLU another chance online. Yes, it would likely be expensive, but I'd rather do that then get nothing. Besides putting the remaining TF figures in there, we could see more new figures from the Want Lists that we all gave up on long ago.

crazy? Or genius? :shock:

Take a walk on the Sunny Side of the Street
http://www.facebook.com/SunnySideNews

Post subject: Re: What if......Mattel and a JLU Subcription...
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 8:44 pm 
Kool Moe Dee

genius!

but if DCUC doesn't go through there is NO WAY in the world they would even consider JLU.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 9:03 pm 
Fugitive Dust

Genius!

While I don't collect the DCUC classics mainly because I couldn't afford both JLU and DCUC all these past years (that's still true to today) I do hope the sub for DCUC goes through so JLU could get a chance. I mean they are practically in the same position. Both save the line campaign have been doing an amazing job at getting other people's attention.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 10:00 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Sadly, I don't think there's anything we can do at this point to convince them there's a big enough market for JLU. They seemed bound and determined to kill that line once and for all in favor of replacing it with the Young Justice line. Even if by some miracle the DCUC sub hit 100% come Sunday (and there's just no way that can happen based on the rate its going), Mattel would still refuse to link any demand for DCUC with JLU.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:20 am 
Master of the Interwebs

A toy line is never really dead unless the toy company shuts down for good. At least, that is my personal belief.

I don't think JLU is dead. Not yet. If ever Mattel offers an opportunity to revive the line through a show of hands (like what they are doing with DCUC), I'd give it my full support. But Mattel has to put it on the line first. Otherwise, I think it's simply a waste of energy and resources.

Mattel on the possibility of more JLU-style figures: We will keep an eye on the fall items to see how they do! We can only produce more JLU items if we can sell a min amount and so far only Lobo has done that.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 2:09 am 
Aspires to be #1

Man would I love to see that, but if they wait too long then a big chunk of their fan base will already have all of those figures.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:09 am 
too much stick, not enough carrot

If I could figure a way to work it in the budget, I'd already have bought a DCUC sub. Just because I've had similar thoughts. But I refuse to get my hopes up any more regarding JLU. As it stands now, I'll probably never have "official Mattel" versions of some of the characters we wanted the most. STRIPE hasn't sold through, and while I absolutely do blame Mattel & DR for the majority of this, reality is still reality. At the end of the day, I genuinely don't believe Mattel will care that STRIPE didn't sell through. The top execs want this line gone. Tooling money be danged.

Having said this, I do 100% hope the DCUC sub winds up getting a green light. You guys have done an excellent job getting the word out.

DC/WB is all like "Wonder Woman's too confusing for a movie!" and Marvel/Disney is all like "Here's a raccoon with a machine gun".

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:32 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

I've always advocated subscriptions for any figure line since I have a very limited retail store available (thats right, only one).

How are the Young Justice sale numbers going? Just from reading posts, my guess is that they are not doing that well. If Young Justice was supposed to replace Infinite Heroes and JLU, but fails miserably, will that re-open the door to the old faithful JLU (on Mattycollector).

My other question about the sub is if this is only a one time chance? It looks like the sub numbers will fall short, so is that it? Since the line will essentially continue (rebranded), there should be an opportunity for a sub again next year and that would be a great time to test the JLU sub waters also.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 5:34 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

I vote Genius.

and I would put my vote, my confidence, and my money into that sub on the day it was announced. Same way I did for the DCUC sub.

Man, I hope this goes through. I will be so disappointed if it doesn't.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:30 am 
shirtless hugger

I'm not sure I could actually commit to giving Matty a couple of hundred dollars (as tends to be the case with these types of subscription packages). It would really depend, for me, on character selection, because my JLU collection is about one third the size of everyone else's. I like on-screen characters, and not all of them.

Do I think this would be a good way to get those last JLU figures out there? Absolutely. But then, after the recent finds, I'm thinking Mattel will release them anyway at some point.

My enthusiasm is low, what can I say? If they said "Hey DisneyBoy look - Hippolyta!" I'd change my tune :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:12 am 
serves the Otter

I've posted on numerous occasions that JLU should've had a sub all along. For this year alone, Mattel has scheduled five 3-packs, an oversized figure and a 7-pack. That's akin to the Ghostbuster's bi-monthly subscription. Only in our scenario, STRIPE would've been the Sub-exclusive. You know... what Metron in a Mobius Chair is to the DCUC Sub.

The thing is... I don't think Mattel can properly handle both lines at the same time. And more than likely, fans/collectors would not be able to afford both lines. So in the end, support would get split, fans would chose one over the other, and this silly territorial war between JLU & DCUC would've continued.

So IMHO, it was a great idea back then when DCUC was "safe & sound" at the big box stores, and JLU was free to carve its own niche in the online market. But now... well, I'm just not sure.

On the plus side, I like the current system of being able to buy two 3-packs at once (and save on shipping), instead of buying one every other month and paying for shipping every other month. So there is a silver lining.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:35 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I don't see either of them working out. The problem is that it is a sub of an existing line. MOTU classics started on Matty but quickly changed to a sub after it had massive sellouts. They had a huge selection of popular characters to work with and still do. JLU and DC Universe have both basically run out of A listers even B lister characters really so the figures they pump out now are wanted by alot less people. Everyone pretty much will want a Batman, Superman or even Wonder Woman for a collection but how many people really want Starboy or Metron? In comparison not that many I'd bet.

DCUC is just over 50% so I don't see it happening. I'd rather then just release the figures online so I can pick and choose but I understand why they want people to commit to a sub. I won't do it for any of the lines for the same reasons I do not do the MOTU sub. 1) I pick and choose, 2) I always end up buying extra stuff anyway and now I just had to pay 2x for shipping if I had a sub 3) none of the sub exclusive figures have appealed to me. It amazes me how many sub people I see post on he-man.org that they went ahead and bought extras after getting their sub figures. I'm like, are you a moron? You do realize you just paid double shipping for the whole year prolly and spent an extra couple hundred on shipping because if it. That makes zero sense to me. Oh well.

I guess if anything the thing that bothers me is why weren't there goals setup for Voltron and Ghostbusters?

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:50 am 
Fugitive Dust

ian5555 wrote:
I don't see either of them working out. The problem is that it is a sub of an existing line. MOTU classics started on Matty but quickly changed to a sub after it had massive sellouts. They had a huge selection of popular characters to work with and still do. JLU and DC Universe have both basically run out of A listers even B lister characters really so the figures they pump out now are wanted by alot less people. Everyone pretty much will want a Batman, Superman or even Wonder Woman for a collection but how many people really want Starboy or Metron? In comparison not that many I'd bet.

I mean JLU has a lot of figures fans and, I'm sure, collectors want still like (aside from what was revealed to be "released") Granny Goodness, Felix Faust, more Legion members, rest of Legion of Doom members so I think it would be the right idea. Especially knowing we won't be getting Flash, Superman or Batman since you can get those multiple ways.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:01 am 
picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

The list goes on....

Legion of Doom

Sonar
Shark
Queen Bee
Dr.Cyber
Dr.Destiny
Neutron
Hellgrammite
Puppet Master
Merlyn
Crowbar
Fastball
Black Mass
Sports Master
Blood Sport
Dummy
Monocle
Thinker, or at least his head because I made his body already
Rampage
Blockbuster
Lady Lunar
Blue Lama
Puzzler
Abra Kadabra
Eletricutioner
Javelin
Major Disaster
Circe
etc....

TNBA style
Killer Croc
Mad Hatter
Baby Doll
Calender Girl
Ventriloquist w/Scareface
Firefly
Clayface (JLU style)

Heros:
Miss Martian
Jade
GL CORPS from the show
Stargirl (young adult)
Maxima
Catman (Justice Guild)

Legion of Superheros
Chameleon Boy
Wildfire
Bouncing Boy
Blok
Ultra Boy
Colossal Lad
Shadow Lass
Ultra Boy
Phantom Girl
etc.

Fatal five

Batman Beyond
JLU Green Lantern (Kai Ro)
JLU Barda
Shriek
Inque
Spellbinder
Royal Flush Gang

The list goes on...................................

AFi Positive Feedback: +198

Last edited by An-Gel Sakura on Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:02 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

/sigh

You still don't get it.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson