Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:13 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: The Voltron Thread: Welcome Allura, Sven and the Blue Lion!
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:41 am 
We're going streaking!

There are new pictures of the Lions, Sven and combined 23-Inch Voltron on the front page.

We always here how it is too late to make changes, yadda, yadda... but I wonder how much of these are prototypes and whether the design can be changes to close the gaps in Voltron's hips? I first noticed them in the Mattel video and it's prominent in this picture, but going back to the SDCC photos, it is also there, but it was hard to notice it because of the angles many of the pictures were taken from and the black backdrop.

It's not a deal breaker for me, but I admit that it makes me less enamored with Voltron than I was when I initially saw it displayed at SDCC and purchased my subscription based on those photos.

Last edited by TRDouble on Fri Aug 24, 2012 1:35 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Post subject: Re: The UNOFFICIAL Voltron Thread: New Pictures on Front Pag
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 8:14 am 
3 3/4"

Yes! Completely agree. That and the rather garish shoulder connections sullied an otherwise good design. The hips feel too small too. I know it's all to give him good range of motion but I wonder if it'll be a little loosey goosey as is. I like the individual lions a lot but the combined form is a bit lacking for me, size not withstanding.

The pilot figures, however, are fantastic! I guess Mattel can make 3.75" figures in an animated style with good articulation. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 1:28 pm 
ABS

TRDouble wrote:
There are new pictures of the Lions, Sven and combined 23-Inch Voltron on the front page.

We always here how it is too late to make changes, yadda, yadda... but I wonder how much of these are prototypes and whether the design can be changes to close the gaps in Voltron's hips? I first noticed them in the Mattel video and it's prominent in this picture, but going back to the SDCC photos, it is also there, but it was hard to notice it because of the angles many of the pictures were taken from and the black backdrop.

It's not a deal breaker for me, but I admit that it makes me less enamored with Voltron than I was when I initially saw it displayed at SDCC and purchased my subscription based on those photos.

The $300 plus price tag was the deal breaker for me :mrgreen: Im just fine with my blazing sword voltron, and at least that has Peter Cullens voice

Post subject: Re: The Voltron Thread: New Pictures on Front Page
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:09 pm 
Resin

I just don't get it. This seems like a waste in this day and age. For an online collector series to cost this much and look this bad. The transformations are awful. If this was at retail for kids? Sure snap out legs. But how about actually improving on the designs from 30 years ago instead of hollowing them out and sticking figures inside of them. I know it's not just a retooled version of the old Voltron, but it might as well be. This is a major, major disappointment.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:45 pm 
We're going streaking!

I will admit that if I saw what I see much more clearly now than I did at SDCC, I might not have bought the Voltron subscription. Too many issues, from the hip joints to the kiddy-ish transformations which I doubt the majority of the collectors want -- let's face it, most of us will display either the lions or combined Voltron, and for the richer ones, they will get a second set of lions and display both. If Voltron ends up in my office along with the 18-Inch Spider-Man and Hellboy, I doubt I will do daily demonstrations to my co-workers of how Voltron transforms.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:34 am 
3 3/4"

Just to play devil's advocate, if you really want a detailed, nice Voltron to show off, you should've bought the Toynami set from 5 or 6 years ago. It's a pretty nice die cast and chromed set that is perfect for collectors and fans.

A fully operational and show-accurate Voltron with the capability to put pilots in them has long been a wish list item but there are sacrifices that come with it. Look at the old Panosh Place toys. Considering the costs of making fairly large vehicles and 3.75" figures for a limited online market, what Mattel has done is probably all they could do for the price point they're selling them at. Additional details and engineering probably would've priced it out of the market even more. We're not talking about Star Wars or even MOTU here. I would think the market for Voltron is pretty tight no matter what.

So while I wish some things were done better, I understand why things are what they are. I would've liked to have seen a more detailed cockpit for sure, chrome parts, better looking hips and connectors but I'm also happy we got what we got. Some of us collectors appreciate the effort to make toys too. Not everything has to be a perfect statue. I like it when companies remember they make toys and I'm appreciative of gimmicks more now than I was as a kid. I like that keys can activate the transformation if you want.

I'll probably just display them separately as lions. I'm not happy enough with the combined form, as ridiculous as it sounds to buy a Voltron and not combine him. At least the action figures are great and the lions themselves look good enough to me.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2011 7:46 am 
We're going streaking!

I understand the engineering issues and my only real issue is the hips. I don't like the transformations and I hope it doesn't hinder the articulation of the lions, but as long as it doesn't hinder anything else with Voltron (like a light-up feature that forces the loss of shoulder articulation), I can live with it; I don't even have to use it! I think the play-value money could have been more wisely spent on making the best looking combined Voltron that they could make though, and again, for me, that's the hips.

What sold me on the subscription, besides the SDCC pictures and it being Voltron, was the sheer size of it and being able to put the pilots (which are very well done!) into the lions. I don't need or care about the chrome parts (white is fine by me), or detailed cockpits that I probably won't being seeing much of anyway.

As for making toys, I don't know if you are talking about the transformation part of Voltron, but I don't want a statue either. If I did, I probably would have dropped buying action figures and gone with buying statues by now. I want five lions that I can pose; I want a 23-Inch Voltron that I can move and put into different poses on my desk. Maybe not to the extent of my 18-Inch Toy Biz Spider-Man, but more than my 18-Inch Hellboy. For me, that is making a good toy. Unless an action feature is amazing or really adds something to the final product, I don't want it. That's how I feel about the key-activated transformation. And I feel as a collector item, it was unnecessary, especially if that money could have been used to improve the final look of the product (i.e. hips, cockpit detailing, etc).

Buy hey! Everyone's mileage will vary! If Mattel could just figure out a way to pull those hips in further, I'd be happy :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2011 10:15 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

I am very happily waiting for the subscription to start. Having Sven as an exclusive made the subscription a no brainer for me. The only part I'm not happy about is that it's gonna take a year to finish.

Post subject: Re: The Voltron Thread: Lions & Pilots Come As A Set ONLY!
PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 8:01 am 
We're going streaking!

Voltron Club Updates, from the 'reopening of subscriptions' page:

Voltron® Club Lion Force
Ready to form Voltron? Then don't miss our Club Lion Force subscription! When you buy a membership for $15, you’ll be shipped and billed for all the official club figures as they are released during the year – a total of 5 pilot figures in 3 ¾" scale and 5 lion figures. That means you'll own all 5 lions needed to build the epic-scale 23" Voltron robot and all 5 pilots needed to complete the Voltron Collect and Connect® Ultra Blazing Sword. Also included is the club-exclusive figure for 2012, Sven, the original pilot of the Blue Lion!

In homage to the series and to make sure you get every figure needed to build the 23" Voltron and Ultra Blazing Sword, each pilot will come as a set with its corresponding lion, so Keith and the Black lion will come as a set, Hunk and the Yellow lion will come as a set, etc. Prices for the pilots and lions are $50-$65 per set, whether purchased through the subscription or when they are sold on MattyCollector.com during our monthly sales (they won't be sold separately). That means subscribers will receive paired Pilots and Lions at their doorstep, and if you choose to come to MattyCollector.com to purchase additional sets (or if you don't have a subscription), you won't have to go to two separate product pages and risk one or the other being sold out – a single click will be all it takes to put them both in your cart!

So, if I read that right, you cannot just buy the pilots or the lions, only both as a set. That doesn't bother me as I subscribed and am getting both anyway (the pilots are actually a big deal for me), but I am sure some people are going to be ticked off since they just wanted the lions and not the $15 3-3/4-Inch pilots. I wonder if non-subscriber sales will be lost because of this.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:44 pm 
5th Horseman

Mattel screws it up again and people are trying to say they did a good job, lol.

If this was handled by Hasbro, or hell even Ban Dai the figures would have been better and the vehicles would have been better as well, poor attempt Mattel.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:45 pm 
Infinite Hero

Well, dang. I was just going to get the pilots...but, I guess that's out now.

Thanks Mattel.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/author/jeffcope/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 3:15 pm 
Cold-cast

TRDouble wrote:
So, if I read that right, you cannot just buy the pilots or the lions, only both as a set. That doesn't bother me as I subscribed and am getting both anyway (the pilots are actually a big deal for me), but I am sure some people are going to be ticked off since they just wanted the lions and not the $15 3-3/4-Inch pilots. I wonder if non-subscriber sales will be lost because of this.

I can totally see them losing some sales. Most will probably be happy though.

Edited because I'm dumb.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 4:05 pm 
Damage Control

I can vouch for another collector who had planned for pilots only. Mattel just lost his dollars.

C.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2011 6:17 pm 
ABS

chadsh9 wrote:
TRDouble wrote:

The $300 plus price tag was the deal breaker for me :mrgreen: Im just fine with my blazing sword voltron, and at least that has Peter Cullens voice

My thoughts exactly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 9:46 am 
5" Scale

First I want to say that I think the toys look great and I have no issues with the Robot mode and I think the pilots look great.

but I think its a bad idea to force people to buy both pilots and lions, some people collect 3 3/4" figures.

but I have a feeling it has something to do with the keys they come with, Im wondering if you HAVE to have the keys to transform voltron.

other than that, I dont get it. but Im guessing they have their reasons and Im sure we will never know what they are.