Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:18 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Adventure Time PVC figures review
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 5:57 pm 
5th Horseman

I'm getting small tonight with a look at the 2" PVC figures from Jazwares for the terrific show Adventure Time with Finn and Jake. They have some sloppy paint work, but they are still mighty cute.

You can find the review at the usual:

http://www.mwctoys.com

Thanks for reading!

Michael
MWC

Post subject: Re: Adventure Time PVC figures review
PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2011 7:27 pm 
Collector Inspector

Even with the size...
I might still pick some of these up.
Aren't they making some 5-6in figures to?
All depends on the price.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:02 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

My son is dying for these. Thank goodness his birthday party is next weekend and I can finally let him have some Adventure Time goodness.

He's getting a set of the PVC figures as well as the sword, and I think he might want to go all "Adventure Time" for halloween this year as well.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 5:35 am 
5th Horseman

They've announced a Jake and Finn so far in a 5" scale, but I haven't seen them out yet.

My son may also go as Finn for Halloween...but here in Michigan, wearing shorts at the end of October can be problematic.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:04 am 
5th Horseman

Ok I think these are a waste of PVC I have never liked Adventure Time, it's crap cartoon compared to what is on currently, it looks like someone who can't animate actually tried animating their drawings (which look as if they have been done by a Pre-Kindergarden tot).

Next cool toy please as this isn't it.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:42 am 
Loose, Missing Package

The 5" are out, I saw them at a TRU in Louisville on Friday. I can't tell you much other than I know that the dog was there but I don't know what else or the price. The show is one of the those things that just baffles me- I just don't "get" it much like SpongeBob, Squidbillies, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Chowder or Flap Jack...

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 9:49 am 

Yeah, my son loves it, I can't quite figure out why.

But I try to let him develop his own tastes and own collections at this point, and I know that looking back I used to love some fairly horrendous programming myself at one time or another so there is that in his favor.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:49 am 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

The show is awesome. But my brother picked up the large Finn figure (10" i think?) and it's not so cool. It's mostly hollow plastic, but still top-heavy. The legs are flimsy, which is enforced by the articulation and the arms are rubber.

The small scale packs I think would be the way to go.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:51 am 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

You guys are all crazy!! :D

Adventure Time is one of my favorite shows right now. I watch it with my daughter and she loves it, but even if she didn't, I would still watch it. I'm a fan of animated comedies in general though. I'm not sure what I would compare it to, but if you think you don't like it based on a clip here or there, watch three full episodes or so and then see what you think (each half hour show has two full episodes in it--the episodes are about 12 minutes long).

I looked at some reviews and combined them into this: A weird, zanny, and random comedy with a colorful cast of characters and stories that are often simultaneously dark and lighthearted, and always full of youthful idealism.

(And making fun of the artistic style of the show because it looks juvenile is really really missing the point of the aesthetic.)

EDIT: I'm on the fence as far as the PVCs go. I got the pack at the con, and it's kinda cool, but when I saw the Marceline at TRU I tried to like it but just couldn't. They're so small, and the sculpt was so-so, and paint was so-so. I'm gonna wait and see on these...

Last edited by xrmc20 on Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 10:56 am 
5th Horseman

Yea, it's one of the few shows my kids watch that I can easily watch without them - this, the new Looney Tunes, and Phineas and Ferb are about it right now.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 19, 2011 11:00 am 

Gah!

I just had to sit through the Phineas and Ferb movie the other night and I truly thought I would just gouge my eyes out with an action figure about 30 minutes into it.

Thank god for my iPhone and Angry Birds or I'd've never made it.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 8:56 am 
5th Horseman

xrmc20 wrote:
You guys are all crazy!! :D

Adventure Time is one of my favorite shows right now. I watch it with my daughter and she loves it, but even if she didn't, I would still watch it. I'm a fan of animated comedies in general though. I'm not sure what I would compare it to, but if you think you don't like it based on a clip here or there, watch three full episodes or so and then see what you think (each half hour show has two full episodes in it--the episodes are about 12 minutes long).

I looked at some reviews and combined them into this: A weird, zanny, and random comedy with a colorful cast of characters and stories that are often simultaneously dark and lighthearted, and always full of youthful idealism.

(And making fun of the artistic style of the show because it looks juvenile is really really missing the point of the aesthetic.)

EDIT: I'm on the fence as far as the PVCs go. I got the pack at the con, and it's kinda cool, but when I saw the Marceline at TRU I tried to like it but just couldn't. They're so small, and the sculpt was so-so, and paint was so-so. I'm gonna wait and see on these...

I have actually watched 4 episodes as you stated and my opinion hasn't changed in fact you reinforced my opinion, this is pure drivel, it is a complete waste of time the humor is completely childish (in fact I insult kids by saying that), the animation is so lacking. And please Phineas and Ferb hell Adventure Time in comparison is the best animated show in the world.

And the New Looney Tunes is lacking as well, compared the classic Looney Tunes cartoons.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 9:26 am 
obsolete and uniquely stupid subnic

GreenArrow wrote:
I have actually watched 4 episodes as you stated and my opinion hasn't changed in fact you reinforced my opinion, this is pure drivel, it is a complete waste of time the humor is completely childish (in fact I insult kids by saying that), the animation is so lacking

The only conclusion I can come to is that you have no taste and you are completely humorless.

:D J/K. Different strokes, to each his own, agree to completely disagree, etc., etc. :D

PostPosted: Fri Sep 30, 2011 7:39 pm 
5th Horseman

xrmc20 wrote:
GreenArrow wrote:
I have actually watched 4 episodes as you stated and my opinion hasn't changed in fact you reinforced my opinion, this is pure drivel, it is a complete waste of time the humor is completely childish (in fact I insult kids by saying that), the animation is so lacking

The only conclusion I can come to is that you have no taste and you are completely humorless.

:D J/K. Different strokes, to each his own, agree to completely disagree, etc., etc. :D

I am happy to have no sense of humor if this passes for humor, lol.