Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 3:20 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Venture Bros 3 3/4" line dreams the impossible dream
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:29 am 
4" scale

If DCUC couldn't do it without being given a free pass by the suits at matty, and Ghostbusters couldn't do it, I hate to think of the Venture Bros' chances in this new-buy-it-before-we-even-think-about-making-it game that's apparently now trendier than skinny jeans.

http://www.actionfigureinsider.com/main ... s-open-now

I was on the fence about getting these before, just because I didn't want to start obsessing over an entirely new toy line, but now that I know they're $10 each (plus shipping) and they are part of the new "how bad do you little plas addicts want your candy?" craze, I can say without a doubt I am out.

Post subject: Re: Venture Bros 3 3/4" line dreams the impossible dream
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 10:52 am 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

the only one I would consider getting is the chick, and that just to see what I could make with her. Maybe an Incredibles Elastigirl.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:00 am 
"You can set your clock to his haircut"

If these were 6" I'd pre-order, but not 4". Venture Bros. is an adult show and its collectibles should be treated accordingly. 4" is too small to provide the level of detail this property deserves.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 12:33 pm 
Cold-cast

Mainman wrote:
If these were 6" I'd pre-order, but not 4". Venture Bros. is an adult show and its collectibles should be treated accordingly. 4" is too small to provide the level of detail this property deserves.

I see nothing more or less "adult" about a figure based on nothing more than the size. Six inch scale simply takes up more space and costs more. Some might claim that articulation is better at six, but Hasbro is doing well at putting that to rest with MU. It's simply a preference. No better or worse. Well, except that GL four inch line. :evil:

As for these figures, they'd have to impress me a LOT more to get me to even buy one at $10 much less do the "hope and pray preorder" that seems all the rage now.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:02 pm 

Titan Speck wrote:
Mainman wrote:

I see nothing more or less "adult" about a figure based on nothing more than the size. Six inch scale simply takes up more space and costs more. Some might claim that articulation is better at six, but Hasbro is doing well at putting that to rest with MU. It's simply a preference. No better or worse. Well, except that GL four inch line. :evil:

As for these figures, they'd have to impress me a LOT more to get me to even buy one at $10 much less do the "hope and pray preorder" that seems all the rage now.

As stated above, I'm referring to level of detail, not articulation. The vast majority of 1:12th scale figures have better sculpting and detail than 1:18th. You may prefer 4" scale, but larger scaled figures retain finer details. The quality between the two scales is not simply "no better or worse." NECA, McFarlane, Mezco, SOTA, Toy Biz, and the Four Horsemen have all stayed in or slightly larger than 1:12th scale for the bulk of their collectible products for a reason.

Hasbro's 4" figures are a catch-all. Collector's buy them as well as kids and they're ideal for cost-effective vehicles and playsets. Venture Bros. is not a property that requires that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:37 pm 
Cold-cast

Mainman wrote:
As stated above, I'm referring to level of detail, not articulation. The vast majority of 1:12th scale figures have better sculpting and detail than 1:18th. You may prefer 4" scale, but larger scaled figures retain finer details. The quality between the two scales is not simply "no better or worse." NECA, McFarlane, Mezco, SOTA, Toy Biz, and the Four Horsemen have all stayed in or slightly larger than 1:12th scale for the bulk of their collectible products for a reason.

Hasbro's 4" figures are a catch-all. Collector's buy them as well as kids and they're ideal for cost-effective vehicles and playsets. Venture Bros. is not a property that requires that.

I'll grant you that detail is easier at that scale. But six inch figures don't have better detail simply because they're six inches. I could go to my GI Joe collection and pick out almost at random any figure that would have much better detail work than a six inch Simpsons figure. Heck, the DC Infinite Heroes line is MUCH more detailed than the JLU. It all depends on the source material and how much work and resources they want to put into it.

Is it easier to do fantastic detail at six than at four? I'm sure that's absolutely the case. Plus I'm sure that detail at that scale can be done much more quickly. Neca, McFarlane, etc, absolutely use that scale for a reason. It's the scale they like and want to use. I'm sure it's also cheaper and allows them to churn out more figures quickly. However that doesn't mean it's the end all be all scale. By that logic, they should be working at 1/6 or larger. My point is that just because it's larger scale doesn't automatically make it superior at all.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 1:46 pm 
5th Horseman

I have to admit Titan has a point, I like figures for a number of reasons not all of them are sculpt orientated (although I do like a decent sculpt to any figure).

Now my honest opinion on these are what a pile of crap, I think I pooped out something that looked much better earlier. However I must confess that I think that about the series as well, I just ain't a fan of the merchandise or show.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 2:20 pm 

Titan Speck wrote:
Mainman wrote:

I'll grant you that detail is easier at that scale. But six inch figures don't have better detail simply because they're six inches. I could go to my GI Joe collection and pick out almost at random any figure that would have much better detail work than a six inch Simpsons figure. Heck, the DC Infinite Heroes line is MUCH more detailed than the JLU. It all depends on the source material and how much work and resources they want to put into it.

You're comparing completely different source material. What I'm saying is that a sculpt of Batman at 1:12th scale is going to retain more detail than the same sculpt at 1:18th. Will it be better at 1:6th? Of course. 1:4th? Yeah.

Titan Speck wrote:
Is it easier to do fantastic detail at six than at four? I'm sure that's absolutely the case.

Which is my original point. Better detail at the larger scale.

Titan Speck wrote:
Plus I'm sure that detail at that scale can be done much more quickly. Neca, McFarlane, etc, absolutely use that scale for a reason. It's the scale they like and want to use. I'm sure it's also cheaper and allows them to churn out more figures quickly. However that doesn't mean it's the end all be all scale. By that logic, they should be working at 1/6 or larger. My point is that just because it's larger scale doesn't automatically make it superior at all.

My "logic" is that the companies listed above are using the 6-7" scale because it retains the optimum amount of detail and quality for a collectible action figure while still being cost effective for the mass retail market. 1:6th and larger typically doesn't fulfill that.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:43 pm 
Cold-cast

[quote="Mainman"][/quote]

You know, I think we'll just have to agree to disagree. I see where you're coming from, I just couldn't possibly disagree more. And I suspect the same in your case. With that in mind, I won't hijack the thread any more than I have already. :lol: At the very least I think we can agree that these figures could have been better, yes?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:11 pm 

I think the level of detail looks good for the scale, and I think the scale is appropriate. This is a niche audience product. I do not believe it would support the budget for the level of detail being suggested with the 6" figures.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 9:23 pm 
4" scale

yeah, it's a cartoon. it's not based off actual likenesses of humans. i'm just pissed they're $10 and MUST BE PREORDERED to send into production. Here's a question: what if the monarch, brock & mrs monarch all make numbers, but hank, dean & dr venture dont? is it gonna be another NECA ghostbusters, where they only end up making the supporting cast? i know the reason was different with the ghostbusters, but still, what up with that, yo?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 3:01 am 

Wouldn't bother me, don't watch the show, and $10 is too much for a figure to make a custom from.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:36 pm 
Daniel Pickett

Like it or not because of rising production costs $10 is rapidly becoming the new standard for 3.75" figures. The "vintage" style Star Wars figures are already $10. JLU were $10 at the end of their run at Target. Young Justice are $10.

The fact that BBP a MUCH smaller company can bring a run of these, which will be in significantly lower run than any of the lines mentioned above, in at $10 each is remarkable.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:01 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

Except at last mention last week their meter was only at 3 % (however since we arent told how many needs to be bought-- having a percentage is pretty damn pointless)

As far as the sculpting-- the samples were very rough- but you dont need intricately detailed figures based on the animation models.

And as far as the cartoon - it took me until the second season to really get behind the humor-- I did enjoy it more after that,,