Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:35 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Is the Action Figure as we know it an Endangered Species
PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:22 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

If you're going to live forever then I'll just regenerate! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 4:26 pm 
MINT!

Also, the Handsome Toy Enthusiast is an endangered species. It's just me and my boys is all I know of. What can I do to fix that? Besides have more kids. :D

I like Thundercats. :?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:27 pm 
Hat Pooper

Van Statten wrote:
However, you ask a very good question. "What is a Collector?" But this sounds like a question that simply can't have one right answer. How can it? Sure there can be criteria but I think everyone here, even the people who horde and don't find any enjoyment in their collecting. I collect many things; toys, comics even art. I sell stuff at conventions and fleamarkets, I open most of my stuff and display it and even play with it from time to time. I let my kid play with some of it.

There doesn't have to be one right answer, but there has to be some answer somewhere, otherwise the terminology is meaningless. Words have meanings for a reason. To simply pretend that a word means whatever anyone who uses it wants it to mean is to throw away the basis for language. We have words with common meanings for the sake of being understood. If nobody could agree what any word meant, we could never have any kind of conversation, meaningful or otherwise.

Quote:
If anything we're nothing more than Toy Enthusiast if you want to be really technical.

True, but then again, we need to define what we mean by that label too. If it becomes too broad, it's really useless. If it become too narrow, nobody will agree. It's a never ending quest for clarity.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2011 6:54 pm 

kringle this guy is boring. :lol: No wonder he just packs his shingbling away without any other reason then he doesn't care, it would be the most boring form of collecting! I think he sort of agreed with me there but I fell asleep before I could finish reading the post. I can almost hear the stiff upper crust Harvard drawl. Talking about the meaning of words and if we loose that meaning then nothing makes sense of something like that. I can even.... (shingbling I'm actually lauging here at the computer!) ...see him being all serious when he typed that. Are you my ninth grade Social Studies teacher, Doctor Marshall? He was always going on about.

Thank you, Cephus, you just made my night! I didn't think anyone could be so... anal about something.

Do I sound this... pedantic or semantic in the Doctor Who thread? Why didn't anyone PM me? :lol: I will never argue petty bullshit on here again! I promise! :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2011 6:12 pm 
5th Horseman

Van I agree with you no matter what you say he will still want to know the far side of a fart, I realised this ages ago, he is another James, both of them were made for each other.

Did you not realise everyone is wrong but them, both of them are a joke.

So moving on yes I suppose Action Figure collecting is an Endangered Species if we go the route of these two. Me I like Displaying and Collecting the items I like I don't need every figure so I can put them in a box and forget about them, All my figures are opened the day I get them and don't feel no remorse about doing it, for f***s sake they are toys.

Even if you want to keep them on the card then still display them at least, or whats the point because you have just deprived some kid or collector who would actually display them.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:03 am 

GreenArrow wrote:
So moving on yes I suppose Action Figure collecting is an Endangered Species if we go the route of these two. Me I like Displaying and Collecting the items I like I don't need every figure so I can put them in a box and forget about them, All my figures are opened the day I get them and don't feel no remorse about doing it, for f***s sake they are toys.

Mine are the same way. There are some pieces I can understand keeping packaged. Bute even then that makes me wonder why bother sometimes. I know a guy who has everything Doctor who all packaged and on display. However, when teh Classic's Wave 1 did a Giant Robot build-a-figure. Even this guy slit the back of his packages open, to pull out the robot parts and assemble it. I was so proud of him! :lol:

The world will always have Doomsayers... it has always ahd those who cry "The end of the world as we know it!" just let them scream.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 12:57 pm 
Hat Pooper

when my marvel select deadpool arrived i loved the packaging and thought it was nice looking but i had to open him get him on display base with his weapons im glad and dont regret it as now i can cuddle him and he loves me back! :lol:

i say open them open them all guys! you will love it

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 1:45 pm 
Cold-cast

Van Statten wrote:
kringle this guy is boring. :lol: No wonder he just packs his rats away without any other reason then he doesn't care, it would be the most boring form of collecting! I think he sort of agreed with me there but I fell asleep before I could finish reading the post. I can almost hear the stiff upper crust Harvard drawl. Talking about the meaning of words and if we loose that meaning then nothing makes sense of something like that. I can even.... (rats I'm actually lauging here at the computer!) ...see him being all serious when he typed that. Are you my ninth grade Social Studies teacher, Doctor Marshall? He was always going on about.

Thank you, Cephus, you just made my night! I didn't think anyone could be so... anal about something.

Do I sound this... pedantic or semantic in the Doctor Who thread? Why didn't anyone PM me? :lol: I will never argue petty bullshit on here again! I promise! :lol:

^ This is exactly the type of cyber-bullying I have seen Cephus have to endure time and time again on these forums when he mentions his collecting habits.

It really seems to me that it is the openers who have a problem with the non-openers and not vice versa. It is because somewhere there is a grain of regret about opening their figures, and this is how they exercise that regret, by trying to portray non-openers as ridiculous.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 5:03 pm 

Cybr bullying? What a crock... where has that little thing called sense of humor gone?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:16 pm 
5th Horseman

So actually stating an opinion is Cyber Bullying, so James and Cephus when you state an opinion and try make everyone think you are in the right is that not even worse Cyber Bullying, you came on here and claimed that Collectors who display aren't real collectors, you claimed that only those that put them in a box never to be seen are real Collectors and others are just wrong and in remorse for opening their toys (basically summing up what you have stated).

Or is it because two people voiced an opinion of the two of you that it is considered Cyber Bullying by you James. Just grow a set will you.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:22 pm 
Hat Pooper

to be fair he did say that we werent serious collectors if we opened or displayed.
but i love you all and would share a chimchanga with you

PostPosted: Tue Oct 18, 2011 7:29 pm 
5th Horseman

DP I would prefer a Kebab, as long as it has Garlic and Chilli sauce on it - you know you can't really get a British/Scottish Kebab in the states the closest you come is a Gyro.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:33 am 

I like Green Arrow on this board. He seems down to Earth. The kind of guy you'd go drinking with!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:14 am 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

As I have said, I consider action figures to be small works of art, small enough that I can afford them. Art was created to both entertain and educate. By that standard, it is meant to be displayed, even if only for the enjoyment of a single person. The word collector is best known as being applied to art collectors, people who accumulate works of art in order to enjoy them. By this standard both people who open and people who don't are collectors, provided they display and enjoy their collection. My opinion of what constitutes a collector coincides with this description. To me, a person who collects art but does not display it would be considered a speculator, speculating on the future value of that collection. Cephus states he has no interest in the future value of his collection, only in acquiring it. That to me describes a hunter, and his collection are trophies, however, even trophies are meant to be displayed. I must therefore conclude that he does not fall into any of the standard categories being discussed here.

CCC.

Museum Super Collector.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:39 am 
5th Horseman

Van Statten wrote:
I like Green Arrow on this board. He seems down to Earth. The kind of guy you'd go drinking with!

Why thank you, however I do speak my mind and that can usually get me in trouble, lol.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next