Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 9:53 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Bandai shrinks CLASSIC THUNDERCATS to 6 inches?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:43 pm 
Resin

According to an e-mail I received from BBTS, it appears that Bandai may be switching their Classic Thundercats line to 6", down from 8". The first offerings are expected to be Lion-O and Mumm-Ra.

I'm very glad I have my 8" Lion-O and Tygra, and would not have minded at all seeing the line continue as it is. However, I can see several logical points to the size reduction.

The figures will be somewhat more compatible with other similarly scaled lines. This would include DC Universe Classics, Masters of the Universe Classics, Marvel Legends, and for that matter, the Modern Thundercats 6" line.

It might be easier to persuade retailers to carry them. While I've seen the 4" ThunderCats and a smattering of 6" at several retailers, the 8" ones I've only seen at TRU -- and not in any great abundance. I had to get Lion-O through a collectibles shop (which cut me a break on the price, very nice of them to do so).

The 8" Lion-O and Tygra share a number of common body parts, especially in the arms and legs. While some of the secondary cast of ThunderCats, such as Lynx-O or Ben-Gali, might also have been able to do so, no one else in the core cast would have. Panthro is distinctly bulkier, Cheetara is female, and Wilykit and Wilykat are kids. Don't even get me started on the requirements to do the villains. Every one of them would have needed new molds, and that's a lot of resources.

Hardly the first time Bandai has shrunk a line, either. Look what they did to Power Rangers a couple of years back...

If the 6" Classic ThunderCats are as well made as the 8" figures, I expect I'll gladly collect them. But I'm wondering what the reasons are, and which of my speculations -- perhaps all of them? -- might have been factors in this.

Thoughts on this apparent switch? Approve? Disapprove?

Post subject: Re: Bandai shrinks CLASSIC THUNDERCATS to 6 inches?
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:55 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Oh now I can have a Swrd of Omens mess up my Superman! I like this, 6" is the way to go now-a-days. I wish the Doctor Who line was 6" instead of the awkward 5" scale. 1" may not seem like much but it is very noticeable.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:18 pm 
Santos L. Halper

Not really happy about it. Bought Lion-O & Tigra and was really excited about getting the other members of the team. No come to find out that they'll be the last one's that size and we're going to have to wait even longer to get the whole team. Not happy.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:32 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Krypton1976 wrote:
Not really happy about it. Bought Lion-O & Tigra and was really excited about getting the other members of the team. No come to find out that they'll be the last one's that size and we're going to have to wait even longer to get the whole team. Not happy.

Agreed. If it's not broke, don't fix it. I think the 8 inch figures are great.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:08 am 
Cold-cast

Van Statten wrote:
Oh now I can have a Swrd of Omens mess up my Superman! I like this, 6" is the way to go now-a-days. I wish the Doctor Who line was 6" instead of the awkward 5" scale. 1" may not seem like much but it is very noticeable.

And I wish the Who figs were 4". :lol:

I can understand why plenty would be less than happy. They really should have never started 3 scales to begin with. I can see and understand the argument for each one, but they should have decided on 2 and stuck with it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2011 11:34 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

Oh I'd also like to see 3 3/4 Who! That would open up more playsets I can use!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:54 am 
Tis' but a pup

I'm not sure why everyone on the internet is convinced that the scale is going to change. This is entirely based on a BBTS listing that has no pictures. It might be accurate, but it seems extremely unlikely at this point.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 5:32 am 
serves the Otter

DirkMaximus wrote:
I'm not sure why everyone on the internet is convinced that the scale is going to change. This is entirely based on a BBTS listing that has no pictures. It might be accurate, but it seems extremely unlikely at this point.

Thank you for the reality check. People are sometimes way too quick to jump to conclusions. However I must point out most people think it's true because they are "rereleasing" Lion-O which they probably wouldn't bother to do unless they changed the scale.

Then again, there HAVE been rumors that the Classics would be coming out one at a time but those rumors said they'd do the 'Cats first and didn't say anything about rereleases.

When truth is only a matter of opinion, advantage goes to the liars.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 23, 2011 2:39 pm 
Cold-cast

Awesome, more compatibility is always a plus.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 24, 2011 10:55 am 
Resin

If there are nice 6-inch Thindercats toys I will get them.

I didn't get the 8-inch ones because they are too big to go with any other toys I have.
And I like it when different toys kinda "go" together.