Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:30 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5784 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 362, 363, 364, 365, 366, 367, 368 ... 386  Next
 Post subject: Re: The DC Universe Infinite Heroes Thread
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:34 pm 
Cold-cast

I so need those so badly. :( Although I like my batgirl better than that one. Has anyone ever seen a Huntress Proto? I'm thinking they had to be close to getting out since 3 pack preorders were out. There was one with Alfred too.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 1:47 pm 
5th Horseman

Ugh! those protos kill me. The line really was improving. But Mattels distribution and case packs killed this thing before it had a chance. Marvel Universe's first couple waves were hit and miss, but they found their footing. They didn't saturate the market with dozens of repacks though.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 5:35 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

And most of the Marvel repacks actually make sense, as opposed to the DCIH repacks.

I'm absolutely shocked Mattel hasn't tried an upgraded 3.75" line for DC, especially with the New 52 out. It seems like it'd be easy to just make one male buck with a high collar, since all the guys now have that style of shirt. :-/

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 4:50 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

Titan Speck wrote:
I so need those so badly. :( Although I like my batgirl better than that one. Has anyone ever seen a Huntress Proto? I'm thinking they had to be close to getting out since 3 pack preorders were out. There was one with Alfred too.

Nope those last few pictured were the last of the protos.
I hope Mattel just didn't throw the molds away.
I really disliked that the female characters were so cheap & lazily made.
They keep hinting at new ones in this scale. I really can't believe them after what they did to the GL line.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2011 6:53 pm 
Far Too Concerned with his Post Count

I believe that 5-6 inch figures for kids to "play" with are finished. The only profitable application for this scale is collectors. 4" is the most lucrative scale for toys, so it would be ignorant for Mattel to close that door, even though it seems that they are trying to do just that.

CCC.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 12:21 pm 
Cold-cast

LordMudd wrote:
I believe that 5-6 inch figures for kids to "play" with are finished. The only profitable application for this scale is collectors. 4" is the most lucrative scale for toys, so it would be ignorant for Mattel to close that door, even though it seems that they are trying to do just that.

CCC.

I'm thinking that you may be right. The only figures that size I ever see kids go near are the Halo line. Man I wish those were 3.75. Anyway, I can kind of understand why mattel may not be going full bore head to head with MU. If you think about it, they have their 6 inch line, and the YJ line. Add yet a third and you're competing with yourself. Look at Bandai. They tried the 3 scales thing with Thundercats and are now apparently reeling back the 8 inch line.

Look at it this way. IH failed. GL failed. YJ appears to be selling and it along with the possible GL animated line are compatibleish with JLU. Their last two forays into 3.75 failed and JLU ran for years and YJ may itself. Why sink money into a scale that is a loser for you? I can totally envision them not putting out a new 3.75 line until YJ either runs it's course or fails. It sucks, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's how they're looking at it.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 1:46 pm 

I think that Hasbro may have actually got it right by accident. MU is their base line, and all of the movie lines are in the same scale, making them compatible. I say by accident because the overabundance of core characters is killing them, Iron Man being the exception because of the armor concept. We have Jungle Cap, Desert Cap, Night Mission Cap. Cap is turning into Batman. The upside is we get figures like Hammer Drones and Nick Fury from the IM line and USAgent, Bucky, and Winter Soldier from the Cap line that might otherwise not make it out in the main line due to the shear number of characters available to be done. If Mattel had followed this example with DCIH, we would still have the core line, plus, next year we would get all of our rainbow Lanterns from the GL line in compatible scale. Instead, they bounce the scale all over the place and nothing is compatible, causing collectors and kids to lose interest that much faster. Also, I think this scale would be perfect to release small sets of figures in conjunction with the direct to DVD animated movies DC keeps cranking out. Look at all of the lost potential there already that Mattel will NEVER be able to recover due to short-sightedness and tunnel vision. Makes you wonder how some of these people still have jobs :roll: .

CCC.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:32 pm 
Dog Squeezer

Titan Speck wrote:
LordMudd wrote:

CCC.

I'm thinking that you may be right. The only figures that size I ever see kids go near are the Halo line. Man I wish those were 3.75. Anyway, I can kind of understand why mattel may not be going full bore head to head with MU. If you think about it, they have their 6 inch line, and the YJ line. Add yet a third and you're competing with yourself. Look at Bandai. They tried the 3 scales thing with Thundercats and are now apparently reeling back the 8 inch line.

Look at it this way. IH failed. GL failed. YJ appears to be selling and it along with the possible GL animated line are compatibleish with JLU. Their last two forays into 3.75 failed and JLU ran for years and YJ may itself. Why sink money into a scale that is a loser for you? I can totally envision them not putting out a new 3.75 line until YJ either runs it's course or fails. It sucks, but it wouldn't surprise me if that's how they're looking at it.

I want more of the 3.75" figures instead of 4" or 4.5" that YJ has.

I did not buy the GL toyline because the sculpts were based on the ugly movie costumes. Had Mattel made the figures based on the comic book appearance of the characters, I would have bought them.

Infinite Heroes did not fail. Mattel delivered over 170+ character variations in the Infinite Heroes toyline. Mattel then stopped the toyline to gear up for the GL and YJ lines and the final JLU figures. I am hoping that they will return to the 3.75" figures in 2012.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 3:43 pm 
You hear that? We're using CODE names...

joeace wrote:
I am hoping that they will return to the 3.75" figures in 2012.

Yes they are somewhat.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/ws/eBayISAPI.dl ... 0367676989
I assume if they ever get going on another 3.75 inch line this is the construction they may go with.
He needs wrist & ankle articulation! The standard articulation I like is MU's.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 4:15 pm 

joeace wrote:

I did not buy the GL toyline because the sculpts were based on the ugly movie costumes. Had Mattel made the figures based on the comic book appearance of the characters, I would have bought them.

Infinite Heroes did not fail. Mattel delivered over 170+ character variations in the Infinite Heroes toyline. Mattel then stopped the toyline to gear up for the GL and YJ lines and the final JLU figures. I am hoping that they will return to the 3.75" figures in 2012.

The GL figures are close enough at 4", especially the aliens and those are all I really wanted. YJ is just to big for DCIH, and too small for JLU. Mattel must accept the 3.75 inch scale. The longer it takes them to do so, the more money they will miss out on.

CCC.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2011 5:06 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

LordMudd wrote:
joeace wrote:

Mattel must accept the 3.75 inch scale. The longer it takes them to do so, the more money they will miss out on.

CCC.

The caveat for me (and I do have a bunch of DCIH, currently giving them out piecemeal to my three-year-old) is that any 3.75" line ought to be at least somewhat compatible with MU. That means taking sculpt, articulation, and accessories up a notch, and I'm not sure Mattel is capable. I sure hope they are, though...someday...

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 9:35 am 
5th Horseman

LordMudd wrote:
I think that Hasbro may have actually got it right by accident. MU is their base line, and all of the movie lines are in the same scale, making them compatible. I say by accident because the overabundance of core characters is killing them, Iron Man being the exception because of the armor concept. We have Jungle Cap, Desert Cap, Night Mission Cap. Cap is turning into Batman. The upside is we get figures like Hammer Drones and Nick Fury from the IM line and USAgent, Bucky, and Winter Soldier from the Cap line that might otherwise not make it out in the main line due to the shear number of characters available to be done. If Mattel had followed this example with DCIH, we would still have the core line, plus, next year we would get all of our rainbow Lanterns from the GL line in compatible scale. Instead, they bounce the scale all over the place and nothing is compatible, causing collectors and kids to lose interest that much faster. Also, I think this scale would be perfect to release small sets of figures in conjunction with the direct to DVD animated movies DC keeps cranking out. Look at all of the lost potential there already that Mattel will NEVER be able to recover due to short-sightedness and tunnel vision. Makes you wonder how some of these people still have jobs :roll: .

CCC.

The ridiculousness is that even within the "same scale" Mattel figures aren't compatible. The ONLY figure that works with the battle suit is the one that comes with it with the legs fused together. The only figure that works with the jet is the one that comes with it, with the connector on his hand. And seriously... all of those guardians are actually to scale with the 6" line. It's a mess.

The problem is that there is no overarching strategy for maximizing the fan base, the kid market, and the casual shopper. It's just, "we'll figure it out as we go." It has hampered Mattel since Batman Begins and Superman Returns. Imagine if since THOSE films... all of the figures were concurrent in scale. I mean, even the Movie Master's Green Lantern looks out of place next to Movie Masters Batman. The head sculpt is terrible and doesn't look like it's from the same line as Batman. And it is - It's from The Movie Masters line! so frustrating.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:07 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

It's especially pathetic that the Imaginext stuff isn't made JUUUST big enough in most cases to fit DCIH. Sure, it's a little cartoony, but I'm thrilled that the GL jet accomodates DCIH figures. I wish the Batmobiles did.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 1:44 pm 
Collector Inspector

The Imaginext Penguin fits really well and that Clayface might look good with DCIH. The GL line is great, especially the aliens. I love my DCIH collection. The last wave of figures, packs and prototypes were great and they pretty much put to rest the argument that DCIH was a total failure. A failure, yes, but not a total failure. YJ are just bland and underwhelming to me. Same with JLU. Besides character selection, they're no fun. Mattel could have done better with DCIH and they know it.

And check out this rare, variant DCIH 3-pack, I can't believe I missed out on this one!--

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-UNIVERSE-INFINITE-HEROES-THREE-PACK-13-/150706463515?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2316ce231b#ht_575wt_988

PostPosted: Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:09 pm 
Cold-cast

funtime3 wrote:
The Imaginext Penguin fits really well and that Clayface might look good with DCIH. The GL line is great, especially the aliens. I love my DCIH collection. The last wave of figures, packs and prototypes were great and they pretty much put to rest the argument that DCIH was a total failure. A failure, yes, but not a total failure. YJ are just bland and underwhelming to me. Same with JLU. Besides character selection, they're no fun. Mattel could have done better with DCIH and they know it.

And check out this rare, variant DCIH 3-pack, I can't believe I missed out on this one!--

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-UNIVERSE-INFINITE-HEROES-THREE-PACK-13-/150706463515?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2316ce231b#ht_575wt_988

That 3 pack is nice. Love the Black Hand Anakin Variant. :lol:

Seriously though, unless WB was getting all in their business telling Mattel what characters to put out, I can not fathom how they screwed it up. I mean it's almost like somebody had to try to kill the line.

As far as the figures themselves go, I actually prefer the originals. Sure they could have been a little taller, but they weren't as frail. Especially the women. All they really need was elbow joints as far as I'm concerned.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 5784 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 362, 363, 364, 365, 366, 367, 368 ... 386  Next