Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 11:28 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's the Attraction?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:01 am 
Collector Inspector

Tone of voice, inflection, facial expressions, general body language, etc*; all of these indicators to our subtext are lost on emails and forum posts. Therefore we endow the written word with our own interpretations which aren't always accurate. Misunderstandings and miscommunications will happen. I'm glad that the folks that post on these threads are quick to address them instead of just bashing one another :)

*We also can't do impressions and character voices which KILLS me :p

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:06 am 
Brand Manager

Also another reason why people my age 25-30 like JLU is some off the figures Kenner never got too. See I was IN LOVE with the Kenner TNBA series of figures I mean Creeper ! That was from left field back then! I loved they looked like they hoped right out of the show all cartoon accurate figures and TRU kept giving us goodies every now and then- Gordon,Ivy,Ras,Talia and ALFRED! STAS toyline died an earlier death and I thought get Lois Lane was the end. But the JLU came and now my Alfred can stand next to Amanda Waller or General Eiling. Now my STAS Bizarro is obselete! Now I have a real true Luthor in power suit figure for my STAS display ! I mean I never batted an eyelash at the JL figures until the new 3 packs started coming out suddenly I can have a Dr Fate in JLU style I wanted that figure back when Kenner was doing STAS figures. Demon ? I was besides myself see JLU and BTAS could be doing dgreat things right now the clean designs and respectful thoughtful manner in which Timm handles every character is amazing !

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:34 am 
5th Horseman

Van Statten wrote:
Seems like some people took a little offense to this. For that I apologize if some can't handle people questioning their interest. I'd also say grow up... but then again we're mostly adults who collect toys... isn't that irony? :lol:

Would you go into a biker bar and loudly ask "What's the appeal of these motorcycles? I just don't like them myself," and expect a kind response? You've been civil since then, but I was honestly a little offended by your first post and this topic. How is it not at least a little insulting to directly ask a fan of something to justify their love for that thing because you personally do not like it?

I'm honestly baffled by how you can be a fan of the shows, but not want or like figures based on it. I completely understand not liking an artistic style, but if you really enjoy it as a cartoon, why would you not appreciate seeing that style in three dimensions? The translation from a flat and angular 2-D style into the real 3-D world is one of the things I love most about the JLU line! How do you translate this look when so much of it can't really exist in real life (i.e. profile art doesn't always match up with head-on views). I really appreciate the thought and skill of constructing these figures to match the show's look.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:39 am 
Collector Inspector

DanMan wrote:
Would you go into a biker bar and loudly ask "What's the appeal of these motorcycles? I just don't like them myself," and expect a kind response?

Point of order: this is an action figure forum, not a JLU-exclusive forum. We know he likes action figures. If he rode a Harley Davidson, he should be able to go into a biker bar and say "What's the appeal to Honda motorcycles? I just don't like them myself" and expect a civil response.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:50 am 
Collector Inspector

Yo, What is with the pile on? My post was pretty gentle and I meant no harm to the holy JLU line, It was a pretty gentle opinion.

The Green Lantern 4 inch, which I happen to kinda like, has been skewered as garbage by many here. And no, I'm not going to go through and dig up examples. Yes, a few of the figures in line have the ball shoulder, so don't pile on me for that.

And what about the Young Justice line? isn't that 5 Points? That's an honest , sincere question, I haven't bought any. Isn't the new GL AS 5 points?

The articulation on the DCIH female figure complimented the sculpt (like JLU does) but that was always ridiculed (and no , I never said the ridicule was coming from JLU people specifically in my post so don't pile on).

When DCIH was cancelled, JLU collectors had a thread basically celebrating that so there's more money for JLU. JLU was cancelled a year later and it was How Dare They Do That.

I'm not changing the subject. I'm sorry I said 5 POA . People nag on articulation all the time here. I'm just saying JLU gets a pass because of the beautiful Bruce Timm design. There was no malice in what I said. So don't jump on me with this Gobots stuff, my post was pretty mild.

red Ricky wrote:
I can't believe there is "open mocking" going on and I have missed it. Honestly... who's "cousin Oliver" to JLU?

...and who is this supposed JLU fan that is mocking toys for having 5 points of articulation and only 5 points of articulation? Talk about bewildering... Now, I'm bewildered!!!

And are we sure they weren't mocking the line instead of the articulation? And again... what line are we talking about?

Is it the Power Rangers?

...Ben 10?

...The Last Airbender?

...Avatar!!! It's Avatar isn't?

...Care Bears?

...Toy Story?

... Polly Pocket?

... Secret Saturdays?

...Go Bots?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:57 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

To be honest, it truly was a little baffling but I really wanted to know what people see in them. They don't sell in my area, never really have and I've never known anyone to be into them as much as people are here and I must hit every major toy and comic book show within my Tri-State location. So yes, it is something that has really taken me by surprise.

I like the cartoons... I don't think they're great like some people have said in posts but they're good. They deserve a place in comic history as something which made a mark. I can appreciate the animation style.. even more so since someone compared it to Jack Kirby. I never thought of that but it really does work.

Where as I understand what everyone sees in them... I just can't appreciate them like others. I don't hate them, although they just look so weird to me... I guess it's because even though I like the cartoon, the style is not something I need to have immortalized. I'm also not a fan of action figures which mirror people's art work.

Now don' take this the wrong way... more power to you, I hope the line continues like some of you want, I'd sign anything online to help save the line and even promote it on my blog and help in anyway I can... because I'm not an evil person who wants to see people's fun crapped on even though I can't understand it.

But I don't see where this is like walking into a biker bar and asking why you like motorcycles... when last I checked AFI was an all Action Figure site which I am fast learning in a hub for JLU fans. :lol: So I saw nothing wrong about asking why people like a certain line. If this were just a JLU board then yeah... that's different.

Then again I've always wanted to go into an Irish Pub... you know a hardcore, hard drinking Irish Pub during Saint Patrick's Day... ask for a beer... and when given one, a nice tall pint of Guinness... drink it and look at the bartender and say, "What is this pleeple? Give me a real beer... give me a Rolling Rock!" and see if I get out alive! 8)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:59 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I never understood why people get offended over someone not liking their favorite line or even dumping on the line. Who cares? It's his opinion and he is welcome to it.

BTW Doctor Who is an AWESOME show Van but I'm sure you already know that.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:23 am 

ian5555 wrote:
BTW Doctor Who is an AWESOME show Van but I'm sure you already know that.

Yes, Ian5555 it is! :lol: Want to talk about being dumped on... before anyone even heard of Doctor Who before 2005 it was mocking central when people found out I referred that show to things like Star Trek or Star Wars! :lol: Never bothered me any. On some of the Doctor Who forums I frequent no one is permitted to have a negative comment about Doctor Who. They get "If you don't like it don't watch it..." I can't understand that mentality to not want to hear a con to someone's pro. Even fans of the show may not like everything from time to time.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:34 am 
Aspires to be #1

funtime3 wrote:
Yo, What is with the pile on? My post was pretty gentle and I meant no harm to the holy JLU line, It was a pretty gentle opinion.

The Green Lantern 4 inch, which I happen to kinda like, has been skewered as garbage by many here. And no, I'm not going to go through and dig up examples. Yes, a few of the figures in line have the ball shoulder, so don't pile on me for that.

And what about the Young Justice line? isn't that 5 Points? That's an honest , sincere question, I haven't bought any. Isn't the new GL AS 5 points?

The articulation on the DCIH female figure complimented the sculpt (like JLU does) but that was always ridiculed (and no , I never said the ridicule was coming from JLU people specifically in my post so don't pile on).

When DCIH was cancelled, JLU collectors had a thread basically celebrating that so there's more money for JLU. JLU was cancelled a year later and it was How Dare They Do That.

I'm not changing the subject. I'm sorry I said 5 POA . People nag on articulation all the time here. I'm just saying JLU gets a pass because of the beautiful Bruce Timm design. There was no malice in what I said. So don't jump on me with this Gobots stuff, my post was pretty mild.

red Ricky wrote:
I can't believe there is "open mocking" going on and I have missed it. Honestly... who's "cousin Oliver" to JLU?

...and who is this supposed JLU fan that is mocking toys for having 5 points of articulation and only 5 points of articulation? Talk about bewildering... Now, I'm bewildered!!!

And are we sure they weren't mocking the line instead of the articulation? And again... what line are we talking about?

Is it the Power Rangers?

...Ben 10?

...The Last Airbender?

...Avatar!!! It's Avatar isn't?

...Care Bears?

...Toy Story?

... Polly Pocket?

... Secret Saturdays?

...Go Bots?

Anyone who truly prefers JLU styling or 5 POA would think those two lines were trash. I prefer 5 POA for small scale and I thought DCIH and GL looked terrible.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:57 am 
Armored Avenger of Arduous Aspirations

I probably would have collected JLU if they had more of a Star Wars Clone Wars approach. Look like the show, but have great articulation.

And for me, most of the merit of JLU wasn't the art, it was the writing, characterization, and universe building. Young Justice has better animation than JLU, but the writing side of things has yet to surpass it. It will always have a special place in DC animation history, that's for sure.

Trade Rating +55 and counting

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:01 am 
Aspires to be #1

Young Justice should have better animation. It debuted years after JLU. That's like saying the iPhone looks better than the Motorola Razr.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:09 am 
serves the Otter

funtime3 wrote:
There was no malice in what I said. So don't jump on me with this Gobots stuff, my post was pretty mild.

You posted that JLU collectors were mocking your favorite line. Thus, painting them in a bad light with a statement that wasn’t true. I collect the GL: Movie figures as well as Young Justice. I also post regularly on those threads. I know for a fact that there has been no mocking. There’s been some criticism with Young Justice in terms of pricing and the posing of the hands; but it’s coming from people who collect both lines.

I only asked that you be more specific, because you had a specific complaint. You said that JLU fans were mocking the 5poa articulation on your figures, while their own favorite figures got a pass. The implication being that there is a double standard and that JLU fans who do this are hypocrites.

And that’s basically it. I get that you feel slighted by JLU collectors. But at the same time, you might have generalized and stretched the truth bit. There might have been no malice on your part, but in all honesty, you were not trying to portray JLU collectors in a good light.

Just my 2¢.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:16 am 
serves the Otter

j1h15233 wrote:
funtime3 wrote:
The Green Lantern 4 inch, which I happen to kinda like, has been skewered as garbage by many here.

Anyone who truly prefers JLU styling or 5 POA would think those two lines were trash. I prefer 5 POA for small scale and I thought DCIH and GL looked terrible.

And I think I found my guy. :|

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:21 am 
Aspires to be #1

red Ricky wrote:
And I think I found my guy. :|

I don't go into other threads and trash their lines but if you're asking right now then yes I think those lines were terrible and the fact that they had lackluster sales and are now gone seems to back that up. I mean the GL line was worse than DCIH and I don't think even the most hard core DCIH guys could argue that. Mattel has nailed animated figures (for the most part), found a gold mine with the 4H and the 6 in. scale but can't do anything right in the 3 3/4 scale.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:07 am 

I have to agree from just a consumer point of view... I have never seen a large amount of 3 3/4 DC figures anywhere even when they were suppose to be in circulation. It almost seemed Mattel couldn't get this line together on any front.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next