Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:39 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: What's the Attraction?
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:48 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

red Ricky wrote:
funtime3 wrote:
There was no malice in what I said. So don't jump on me with this Gobots stuff, my post was pretty mild.

You posted that JLU collectors were mocking your favorite line. Thus, painting them in a bad light with a statement that wasn’t true. I collect the GL: Movie figures as well as Young Justice. I also post regularly on those threads. I know for a fact that there has been no mocking. There’s been some criticism with Young Justice in terms of pricing and the posing of the hands; but it’s coming from people who collect both lines.

I only asked that you be more specific, because you had a specific complaint. You said that JLU fans were mocking the 5poa articulation on your figures, while their own favorite figures got a pass. The implication being that there is a double standard and that JLU fans who do this are hypocrites.

And that’s basically it. I get that you feel slighted by JLU collectors. But at the same time, you might have generalized and stretched the truth bit. There might have been no malice on your part, but in all honesty, you were not trying to portray JLU collectors in a good light.

Just my 2¢.

I seriously just wanted to know which current 5 POA action figures were out there and then specifically which ones funtime3 liked. I seriously thought the Green Lantern 4in. had multiple points of articulation so it slipped my mind. Same thing with Young Justice. I don't pay attention to all the stuff that's out there so it's absolutely possible that there are dozens of 5 POA figures that I never really noticed. My post was 100% sincere.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 8:25 pm 
Collector Inspector

red Ricky wrote:
You posted that JLU collectors were mocking your favorite line. Thus, painting them in a bad light with a statement that wasn’t true. I collect the GL: Movie figures as well as Young Justice. I also post regularly on those threads. I know for a fact that there has been no mocking. There’s been some criticism with Young Justice in terms of pricing and the posing of the hands; but it’s coming from people who collect both lines.

I only asked that you be more specific, because you had a specific complaint. You said that JLU fans were mocking the 5poa articulation on your figures, while their own favorite figures got a pass.

Whoa Whoa Whoa. red Ricky, what is going on? Where do you get this? I never "posted that JLU Collectors were mocking your favorite line" in my original post. When and How and where? here's my original post again:

Quote:
I don't understand why certain toy lines, and lines I like, are openly mocked on this site for their 5 POA yet JLU gets a pass because it's an endearing quality or something. I get that the articulation compliments the design, but I feel that other toys get bashed for doing the same thing.

Where in there do I single out JLU collectors specifically as the bad guys? Nowhere. That's quite a reach. People were merciless to the GL 4 inch line ( and no way anyone can deny this) but I don't know the collecting habits of everybody. Maybe they were JLU collectors but I never implied that.

I just said some toy lines get mocked for their 5 POA (some of the GLs are 5 POA......okay, some have ball shoulders and one can wiggle his stupid tail) and JLU gets a pass. But I wasn't mean-spirited about it. And yes, later, In my second post, I said (some) JLU collectors mocked DCIH in a special Yay DCIH Is Dead thread but that was indeed a fact, even if it was goofin' around. I guess what's left is that you take issue with my use of the word "mocked" and maybe that's fair, but it's probably better than " Young Justice' articulation was greeted with joyous chants of celebration and tears of jubilation and adoring acceptance".

And Young Justice...5 POA right? When those first appeared, I recall the overall reaction being, " umm...really Mattel?" and " That's it Mattel? We get 5 POA. You can do better", but once it was clear that YJ was here to stay, people eventually came around to them and they are generally being embraced 5 Points and all. Now, no way am I going to go back to provide proof of these reactions (maybe I'm wrong!) But just like you , I hang around the toy boards and that's what the impression I got.

And you get that I feel slighted by JLU collectors? am I seriously giving off that vibe? I don't think that's what I've been saying. My first post was pretty innocent. I only got riled up later when my words were stretched into Laughy Taffy. :)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 3:52 am 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

I don't see why everyone is so upset about this thread. I'd much rather have a seperate JLU gripefest thread than the see the same people routinely trolling every positive JLU thread looking to start trouble.

Now if only we could get them to promise to keep their negativity here... :)

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:09 pm 
shirtless hugger

When Justice League figures first hit in 2003 I got the original 7 with the bases and from then on I was only going to get the Batman ones. Which lasted about a year or so. At some point I got hooked on them and started getting all of them. To me it was that JLU was evolving into an all DC line and that I now could have most DC characters in figure form in a consistent design.

Since I display them it, articulation was not that big a deal. I loved the Timmverse look and they just all looked great together. I don’t have them all, but I bet I got 90% or more of what was released. They are one of my favorite lines of figures and despite all the issues of distribution, weak ankles and such.

They are the Super Powers Collection of my generation and surely one of the greatest lines of action figures ever released.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:01 pm 
Former King of Posts

For me, I'm a sucker for DC product. Super hero product in general. The trick for a new line, is to include characters I do not have yet. Toy Biz got a lot of my money in the 90's because they were constantly putting out Marvel characters I did not own. But I have not been a completist since Toy Biz included that 5th Wolverine in their XMen line.

JLU. I had most of the Batman Animated unique characters. And those from Superman Animated. When JLU came out, I considered getting some because I've been a Justice League fan since the 70's (TV = Super Friends, Comics = Justice League of America #148). But the lien did not give me anything new until Hawkgirl and Ultra Humanite. I thought Mattel missed the ball by not offering Metamorpho as a figure. When the character expansion of the line happened with JLU, I was on board. To the point of campaigning directly to DC to get Captain Atom and the Question made to running Most Wanted polls here at AFi. I was in whole hog.

Then it happened. A bunch of product came out which I was unable to find. The infamous 3 packs and 6 packs which were in short supply. Mattel refused to take my advise on the fact that 3 packs with 2 repeated characters were an insult to collectors. The put both Captain Atom and the Question in 3 packs with 2 repeated characters. Mattel asked for input, but never fixed the issue where 1 leg was shorter than the other. Mattel completely missed the point of a collector web site. The vision of Matty.com that collectors asked for was to offer an alternative way to get hard to find product, NOT to offer exclusive product. Matty then claimed that it was to offer collector oriented product, but proceeded to start by offering several Batman villains, 3 of which would have helped increase retail sales and extend the overall line.

I picked up a new JLU when I found it here or there, but after not being able to find the single pack Aquaman, I just gave up. Since then I've moved on. I think the JLU collector community has "jumped the shark". Asking for every member of the TV series team regardless of whether they did anything on the show or their costume looks cool. Johnny Thunder. Really? How 'fan demanded' is this character? Such big appeal that after 10 years DC Direct has yet to make one? I think the the 'fan demand' for a guy in a 3 piece suit is about 10.

Who would I still buy? Static. Because I liked his own show and would like a figure of him. Personally, I am now hoping he shows in Young Justice and we can get a figure in both YJ lines.

So where is the appeal? The appeal was in being able to amass a large variety of the DCU in a comprehensive style which matched a show that I enjoyed. The lack of appeal was when it became too hard to get the figures I wanted and when Mattel marketed them in ways I was not interested.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 10:56 am 
Kool Moe Dee

Not every JLU figure is amazing(blasphemy!!) but most are and really it just comes down to style. JLU figures are sleek, smooth and refined. If you are not into that look it just seems like there is nothing to them, but to those that can appreciate it, they are pure gold.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 2:00 am 
Cold-cast

I like some JLU figures because they complement the smaller Infinite Heroes. Figures like Stripe or Big Barda work great in that capacity I think. A few others I get just because I like them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:48 am 
PVC

When the original 7 were released, I immediately liked them, despite some minor scale and coloring problems. (Martian Manhunter was too big and too dark, Superman's head was too small, etc.) But they captured Bruce Timm's style really nicely, and looked great together on the shelf. At the time I remember thinking, "Well, this line isn't going to last too long. They've released all the major characters, and the show probably has no more than 3 seasons in it." I figured we'd get a few villains, some re-paints I wouldn't buy, and that would be that.

But then the floodgates opened. I remember when I put Elongated Man on the shelf next to the original 7, and I could feel it -- the possibility that so much more of the Timmverse could make it onto that shelf. I dunno, it's a childlike glee, a collector's "itch" that started with Super Powers back when I was a kid -- it's this heady feeling that makes my imagination go wild with DC-inspired daydreams. It feeds me in idle moments driving, cooking dinner, or when I zone out at work. It's true joy.

When it got hard to find certain figures, it was frustrating. But it also upped the ante a bit, and made collecting the line more of a chase. My scores felt bigger (whether they were in the aisle of a random Target, or on eBay). And I became a pretty successful hunter; to date, I have every figure ... except the elusive Volcana.

As the scope of the line grew, my passion grew. The more obscure the characters got, the more I was hooked. It was like I had some Timmverse "Who's Who in the DC Universe" on my shelf, and I wanted it to be as complete as possible. Figures I'd never in a million years thought I'd ever, ever see -- Deimos, Amanda Waller, Angle Man, Gypsy -- thrill me, because they reinforce the tremendous reach of the line.

That forgiveness I granted the original 7 for being slightly off-model did have to deepen as the line grew. But since that impulse was always there for me, it wasn't hard. It's a matter of creative shelf-positioning -- it's the "don't put the Creeper next to Johnny Thunder" game.

I'll be with the line until it's truly gone, because it's been one of the biggest joys I've ever had as a collector.

And I will get Volcana. Someday.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:28 am 
Variant Head

Hey guys if you like JLU please like my Facebook page. I really want DC Nation to bring back STAS,BTAS and JLU. With the new 52 we need our classic Timmverse back! So many of us grew up waching this universe unfold with each new series. I mean lets be honest every Batman cartoon since has got worse and worse. Beware the Batman does not sound promising please just check out my FB page if you love JLU as much as I do!

http://www.facebook.com/pages/DC-Nation ... 2094967586

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:40 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

@Pateman: I too, LOVE JLU. However, I wouldn't go so far as to say that every cartoon since then has been a disappointment. I've actually liked everything put out in the DCAU, whether it was Titans, or Brave & Bold, or Superboy & LSH. All of them had their strengths and weaknesses and they all reached toward a different audience.

To just dismiss them all as a let down simply because they are Timmverse is a bit harsh and unfair in my eyes.

I would like to see a return to the Timmverse, certainly. And the DC Nation block would be an ideal place for it to happen. But I doubt we'd ever get more than an occasional short here and there.

Why? Because Bruce himself has said, "It's time to move on". Yes, he still loves the DCU. Yes, he will still produce and develop and direct animation featuring the DCU pantheon of characters. But his focus has shifted.

I say, Good for him. And Good for us as well.

There will always be a DCAU, I want mine to be as diverse as possible.

Post a link to the FB page and I'll join. As they saying goes... too much is never enough.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:00 pm 
Fugitive Dust

For me, the JL show was an immediate hit (I was 10) and I loved the idea of watching heroes gathered together. At this point I didn't know anyone aside from Batman and Superman. After season 2, I only knew heroes and villains from the show. As for the toys, I wanted the main 7 then every new figure was a bonus. I didn't think of making it a collection, I saw it as a little collection on a show I liked and by the time I was 16 I would have put them in a box and stored it away. Well, it didn't work that way. The show became JLU and for me all I knew that the main 7 (or 6 for the first few episodes) were back. I remember telling my mom "The show is continuing and that means that there will be more toys!" I grabbed any new hero or villain that was in the line. No interest in repaints and re release. By the end of the last season of JLU, I knew a few more heroes and villains but not enough to say things like "did you know when Captain Atom was created..." If the toyline ended there then I probably would not be as much as a DC Fan as I am now.

And it's all because of the toyline. As the line continued I continued interested in DC. It grew as a hobby, completing the line. The point I want to get across is that the show did a good job to bringing me to the DC World but the toyline has made me more of a DC fan because I get to hold a figure of a hero/villain that I can do research on and learn more about. Now as I look back on the show and the episodes I get excited to see someone I didn't know who it was before.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2012 10:07 pm 
my tummy itches

I have been watching bruce timms cartoon since a young age and I love the figures to be represented in a 3G style

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 4:14 am 
AFA Graded

Van Statten wrote:
I'm curious... what's the attraction to the JLU line?

Customability.

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 6:18 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

I gotta admit that's awesome

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:30 am 
Knows his stuff

An-Gel, that is all manner of awesome! Although it makes me realize Mattel needs to do a final 47-pack to complete the on-air Legion of Doom!*

*Yes, this is a joke and I'm well aware JLU the line is dead.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 74 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next