Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:07 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:15 pm 
'The Barf' does not annoy him
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 3095
Yes. Yes, it's another JLU thread. Oh no, but not just any old thread mind you.

See, here's my problem with Mattel. They make a product(oh, let's use the latest JLU seven pack as an example here) IT. SELLS. OUT! Sold out. As in, no more product to be ordered from Matty. No more turning on of the machines to produce more. Save for the obligatory 'small amount of stock held back for quality control and the like'...It's as gone as Ralphie's Old Man's Christmas turkey.

So answer me this...someone. Anyone? Why in bloody hell is a product that sold out not a success? 'Sold just as much as the Doom Patrol', blah, blah, blah. First of all, that mythical and secret sales number is not public knowledge. It could have sold ten sets or ten thousand sets. Who cares, really? It didn't sell out for a long while, did it? Yet, Lobo sold out completely. As did S.T.R.I.P.E. As did the Fan Demanded Collection Seven Pack. So, if the Seven Pack sold just as well as the Parademons or the Doom Patrol, IT STILL SOLD OUT! Relatively quick if I recall. I don't really give a lick about the sales numbers if I don't have them in front of me. I don't need them anyway, because all I can see at home on my laptop is that it SOLD OUT.

A sold out product is a successful product. You want a product to sell out on Matty Collector, correct Mattel? Well, the last three Justice League Unlimited items did just that. They sold through their production run. And if they did not, you yourself Mattel listed them as 'Sold Out'. By anyone's definition, that means they are no longer available for purchase because they sold through. If Matty held some product back for whatever other future reason, it is not anyone's fault or decision to do so but Mattel's, and the fans should never shoulder the burden of blame for that.

Whatever, Mattel. whatever.

_________________
'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:19 pm 
User avatar
categorically opposed
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 2721
Location: Pittsburgh
Why do you think it sold out?

How many times do we have to have the conversation that "Sold Out" on MattyCollector does not mean "Sold Out And We Have No More Left; We Checked Everywhere And We're Completely Out"?

The only JLU item that sold out on Matty was Lobo. Everything else was pulled. Unless something is marked "Sold Out" in a week or less, it hasn't actually sold out. And even if it's marked "Sold Out" within that first week, it's a crap shoot. That being said, there is far more indication that these items did not sell out than there is that they did. Look at all the bulk orders that were placed for those four-packs. If all that was left was "customer service stock," don't you think they would have sold out? Or at least been downgraded to "Almost Gone"?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:46 pm 
User avatar
Aspires to be #1
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:54 am
Posts: 12566
Location: College Station, TX
Seriously. The only JLU items that sold out in 3 years were Giganta and Lobo


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:51 pm 
User avatar
My heart is of low-durometer PVC
Offline

Joined: Wed Feb 24, 2010 1:34 am
Posts: 454
Location: Michigan
Giganta was up there for months.


Last edited by Super Shaft on Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 5:18 pm 
User avatar
Daniel Pickett
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 8266
Location: So Cal
No. It DID NOT sell out. It sold roughly as many as every other JLU thing they have sold on line. They pulled it to put up other stuff. It will be back at some point.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:31 pm 
serves the Otter
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1912
Howard the Duck wrote:
Yes. Yes, it's another JLU thread. Oh no, but not just any old thread mind you.

See, here's my problem with Mattel. They make a product(oh, let's use the latest JLU seven pack as an example here) IT. SELLS. OUT! Sold out. As in, no more product to be ordered from Matty. No more turning on of the machines to produce more. Save for the obligatory 'small amount of stock held back for quality control and the like'...It's as gone as Ralphie's Old Man's Christmas turkey.

So answer me this...someone. Anyone? Why in bloody hell is a product that sold out not a success? 'Sold just as much as the Doom Patrol', blah, blah, blah. First of all, that mythical and secret sales number is not public knowledge. It could have sold ten sets or ten thousand sets. Who cares, really? It didn't sell out for a long while, did it? Yet, Lobo sold out completely. As did S.T.R.I.P.E. As did the Fan Demanded Collection Seven Pack. So, if the Seven Pack sold just as well as the Parademons or the Doom Patrol, IT STILL SOLD OUT! Relatively quick if I recall. I don't really give a lick about the sales numbers if I don't have them in front of me. I don't need them anyway, because all I can see at home on my laptop is that it SOLD OUT.

A sold out product is a successful product. You want a product to sell out on Matty Collector, correct Mattel? Well, the last three Justice League Unlimited items did just that. They sold through their production run. And if they did not, you yourself Mattel listed them as 'Sold Out'. By anyone's definition, that means they are no longer available for purchase because they sold through. If Matty held some product back for whatever other future reason, it is not anyone's fault or decision to do so but Mattel's, and the fans should never shoulder the burden of blame for that.

Whatever, Mattel. whatever.

Do you have an off switch?

_________________
"I'm not Smiley! I'm a real cow! Mooooo! Think I'll chew me some cud!" - Smiley Bone a.k.a. The Mystery Cow.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:12 pm 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 3307
Location: San Diego, CA
Unfortunately 'Sold Out' on Matty can mean any of the following:

Sold Out (For real)
Have a discount sale coming up and we don't want this product to be included
Pulled for the next month's sale for the 15th

I'm sure there's a couple more...

It's not coincidental that the products are listed as 'sold out' a day before the next sale. They just don't have a computer program that will put in a more definitive word (Gone would be acceptable).

I hear what you're ranting about Howard, and I agree with the information that's been provided to you by Mattel. Unfortunately, that information is not correct. The JLU stuff didn't sell out. Would be nice if it did.

Guys, we have to remember that not everyone is as 'in the know' on the inner operations of Mattel and how they handle their sales. It took months if not years for all of us to come to grips with the insanity that is the engine behind the sales of our favorite toys. Can we really blame someone else for coming to a conclusion such as this with the limited information provided to them by toy companies?

_________________
JLU Forever! And is MOTUC EVER getting around to Ram Man?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:30 pm 
User avatar
categorically opposed
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 2721
Location: Pittsburgh
jzachery wrote:
Guys, we have to remember that not everyone is as 'in the know' on the inner operations of Mattel and how they handle their sales. It took months if not years for all of us to come to grips with the insanity that is the engine behind the sales of our favorite toys. Can we really blame someone else for coming to a conclusion such as this with the limited information provided to them by toy companies?

I'd agree with you if not for a thread that Howard himself started on September 17:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=22911

It became a graduate-level course on how to interpret "Sold Out" on MattyCollector.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 7:36 pm 
User avatar
Aspires to be #1
Offline

Joined: Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:54 am
Posts: 12566
Location: College Station, TX
Yea it's not like this post came from an uneducated Mattel toy buyer


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:46 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 322
I want the 3-Packs at a reasonable price as much as the next person, but at this point, if Mattel is losing money with JLU, it needs to end. The biggest mistake here was showing off new 3-packs at SDCC10 & Toy Fair 11.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:32 pm 
User avatar
Brand Manager
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 25, 2009 7:01 am
Posts: 2057
Location: J Street
I don't think the 7-pack sold out. However, I do think that STRIPE and the other 3-packs did pretty well. And that's why Mattel carefully limited their sampling and commenting to how well the 7-pack and Doom Patrol pack did.

I think they are making their case for a $50 dollar price tag. However, what little information they did provide, only shows that demand for JLU is no different than demand for the Infinite Earths Subscription.

This graph would illustrate their "bare minimum" as being 100%.
Image



This graph would illustrate how well the 7-pack/Doom Patrol did in terms of reaching that bare minimum.
Image


Which coincidentally illustrates how many Infinite Club Subscriptions were sold the first time the sub was available.


And this graph illustrates the final amount of subs sold in order to get the DCUC sub going, as well as to trigger a $5 dollar price increase per standard figure.
Image

Mind you that when it came the Infinity Club Sub, the $5 dollar price increase (per standard figure) is still being applied towards a new character. In the case of JLU, there are re-issues involved. But even if we were to pay a $5 dollar "tax" per figure (regardless of whether or not the figure was a re-issue), the price tag shouldn't ascend to $50 bucks.

_________________
Essential JLU:...1. Jax-Ur...2. Robin (Grayson)...3. Trickster...4. Power Girl...5. Spectre
...6. Chronos...7. Killer Croc w/BabyDoll...8. Felix Faust...9. Poison Ivy...10. Deathstroke
Bonus:...Starfire, Steppenwolf w/Desaad, the Joker's Jokerz


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:57 am 
serves the Otter
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1912
j1h15233 wrote:
Yea it's not like this post came from an uneducated Mattel toy buyer

I feel kind of bad for my snarky post but Howard is the king of Beating the Dead Horse. I had just had enough of it. Every single thread he starts is just whining about Mattel's business decisions while completely ignoring the explanations he was given in the last exact same thread he started. I had hoped this would have ended after the Hal Jordan thing had been "resolved" but I was kidding myself.

Howard, enough. We all love JLU and very few of us are completely happy with the way Mattel ran it. But your rants were getting old two years ago and they haven't improved with age. I don't want to sound mean. I still like you. But it's time to let it go.

_________________
"I'm not Smiley! I'm a real cow! Mooooo! Think I'll chew me some cud!" - Smiley Bone a.k.a. The Mystery Cow.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:16 am 
Fugitive Dust
Offline

Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:42 am
Posts: 249
Location: Indiana
Did someones Wheaties taste funny today?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:33 am 
serves the Otter
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1912
fuzzyelf1 wrote:
Did someones Wheaties taste funny today?

I'm probably overreacting but I'm also pretty fed up right now. Not an excuse, but an explanation.

_________________
"I'm not Smiley! I'm a real cow! Mooooo! Think I'll chew me some cud!" - Smiley Bone a.k.a. The Mystery Cow.

"I knew we'd made a mistake the minute I saw that little bologna loaf in the hospital bassinet." - Calvin's Dad.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Um, Mattel....JLU SELLING OUT=SOLD OUT=SUCCESS!!!
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:36 am 
User avatar
5" Scale
Offline

Joined: Sun Nov 04, 2007 6:30 pm
Posts: 1772
Location: ATL, GA
red Ricky wrote:
I don't think the 7-pack sold out. However, I do think that STRIPE and the other 3-packs did pretty well. And that's why Mattel carefully limited their sampling and commenting to how well the 7-pack and Doom Patrol pack did.

I think they are making their case for a $50 dollar price tag. However, what little information they did provide, only shows that demand for JLU is no different than demand for the Infinite Earths Subscription.

This graph would illustrate their "bare minimum" as being 100%.
Image



This graph would illustrate how well the 7-pack/Doom Patrol did in terms of reaching that bare minimum.
Image


Which coincidentally illustrates how many Infinite Club Subscriptions were sold the first time the sub was available.


And this graph illustrates the final amount of subs sold in order to get the DCUC sub going, as well as to trigger a $5 dollar price increase per standard figure.
Image

Mind you that when it came the Infinity Club Sub, the $5 dollar price increase (per standard figure) is still being applied towards a new character. In the case of JLU, there are re-issues involved. But even if we were to pay a $5 dollar "tax" per figure (regardless of whether or not the figure was a re-issue), the price tag shouldn't ascend to $50 bucks.


Ok do you just try to be annoying? those graphs are %s, the 60% of the needed DCUC subs, could be 10 times or hell even 100 times more than they sell of a JLU item.

You are not comparing apples to apples, you and a couple other people living in a dream world are trying to make the point that JLU sells well. I LOVE MY JLU figures, but they do not sell, its a fact. Let it be already.

And on to Howard, for god sakes man, everyone knows that Sold out on Matty is not sold out, unless it happens within the first 24 hrs. after a week, if it comes down, its pulled.

Did you not see how many JLU items they still had for that crazy JLU sale? you could get a 4 pack for $8 if you got enough, that should tell you every thing you guys need to know.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 164 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next

All times are UTC - 8 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Exabot [Bot]


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to: