Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Tue Nov 25, 2014 11:46 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: What's the Attraction?
PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:41 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

I just got into JLU last year, don't have alot(my money goes to DCUC) but I pick some up here and there. I've been a long time fan of Timm and I like how well the figs are translated into plastic. Sure they have 5 POA and can't stand but there is a charm to them.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 02, 2012 10:30 pm 
HEY! New guy! GET HIM!

Hi Angel thanks for the offer Im interested but can't seem to PM you.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 05, 2012 7:29 pm 
my tummy itches

I agree JM.

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:10 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Quote:
I honestly have no idea what the attraction is.

They can't stand and they have almost no articulation. The only thing I can logically conclude is that they were tremendous fans of the show (and I am as well, but I'm not going to buy substandard toys no matter how great the source material is).

Yeah...this. Except that I did/do buy them 8)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:46 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

JosephMama wrote:

That's probably because there's no buying/selling/trading outside the swap meet forum, and new folks can't PM.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:14 am 
AFA Graded

Captain Collector wrote:
JosephMama wrote:

That's probably because there's no buying/selling/trading outside the swap meet forum, and new folks can't PM.

Trading should only be done through PMs and the swap meet, just like we tried too.

AFi Positive Feedback: +199

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:52 am 
Wonderdog

I just really like the show, and have almost every character released.

But 47-packs offend me.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:47 am 
my tummy itches

Think if 60$ for 6 figures ( maybe some repacks ) then a 47 pack would be like $700+ for the figures. I would never buy that. Cheers kalibak. :mrgreen:

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:33 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

That's probably because there's no buying/selling/trading outside the swap meet forum, and new folks can't PM.[/quote]
Trading should only be done through PMs and the swap meet, just like we tried too.[/quote]

Correct. Newer folks can't PM, and therefore can't trade until they're admitted to the swap meet forum. It's an automatic setting.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:56 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Why do I like JLU? Well, the first reason is Superfriends. I grew up on it and that led me to buying the Super Powers figures. I love cartoons, and I love figures based on cartoons. But that was it for years, until Batman: The Animated Series. It was fantastic, and I still consider it the definitive depiction of Batman. Then Superman, and then Batman Beyond.

I bought all the toys, and some of them worked together, but it was still a pretty mismatched group. You can't put the Kenner Batman Beyond with BTAS figures, or even Superman (though style-wise, STAS fell kind of in the middle). That actually started me down the path of customizing, though I cringe at some of my crude efforts from back then.

Then JLU hit. The show wasn't that good (and no, it wasn't, during the first season), but I thought maybe it would last long enough to get some figures. And sure enough, it did. Finally I had characters from the larger DC universe. I was absolutely thrilled. I scoured stores like crazy, and found everything.

And it kept going. The show and the figures. The show got better, amazingly so, until it finally became the definitive version of the DC Universe for me. Seriously. I don't care what they do in comics any more (though I read them), because Earth DC-Prime will always be the Animated Universe as far as I'm concerned. Comics, movies, to me everything else occurs on a DC Elseworld or another part of the 52 or Hypertime or whatever. There were a couple things that I didn't care for in the DCAU, but mostly, this was DC done perfectly.

It's kind of liberating, really. I'm not that emotionally invested in the comics any more, so I can just sit back and relax. Clark and Lois aren't married? Don't care. This ain't the "real DC Universe" to me. Somebody dies? Don't care. That's not how it happened in my DC Universe. The figures are a physical representation of my ideal DC Universe. And that's why I love 'em.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:55 am 
serves the Otter

Agreed with Bryan Long. As long as the DCAU exists it's the definitive version of the DC characters. I really don't care about any other versions. That's why when it was completely over I was so upset. I don't care about any of the stuff that happens in the comic books and The Batman sucked for most of its run so I didn't have anywhere to get my DC fix after JLU ended. I still watch DC projects but it's not with the same enthusiam. The last DC project I totally enjoyed was Batman: The Brave and the Bold and that's probably because Night of the Batmen made it and The Batman DCAU canon. That was fun.

When truth is only a matter of opinion, advantage goes to the liars.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:46 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Bryan Long wrote:
It's kind of liberating, really. I'm not that emotionally invested in the comics any more, so I can just sit back and relax. Clark and Lois aren't married? Don't care. This ain't the "real DC Universe" to me. Somebody dies? Don't care. That's not how it happened in my DC Universe. The figures are a physical representation of my ideal DC Universe. And that's why I love 'em.

Shhhhhh! Don't tell DC Comics! Some genius over there will create another Infinite Crisis to destroy your universe, too!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:55 pm 
my tummy itches

Hehe.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:52 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Quote:
Shhhhhh! Don't tell DC Comics! Some genius over there will create another Infinite Crisis to destroy your universe, too!

I'm honestly surprised they haven't. They keep nibbling around the edges with the Batman Beyond comic. But even that's okay. I can just draw a line in my head: show=canon, anything else=don't care. There's no way they can go back and change the DVDs on my shelf. Even George Lucas can't do that.

That said, I do accept the comic lines (all sadly canceled) as pretty much canon. But even there, some of the things differed from the show (usually dealing with characters that hadn't aired yet), and I still treat the show as canon.