Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:12 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: TG and Mattel JLU another chance!
PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:36 pm 
categorically opposed

Titan Speck wrote:
And as for being the "bad guy", why should they care? If it's only a few hundred at most buyers, then what's the problem? I don't see them dangling a few more Dark Knight figures out there because they're afraid of pissing off the (probably) similarly numbered fans of that line. Crap or get off the pot Mattel. Either is fine, but other people gotta go.

I'm sure Mattel doesn't care about being the bad guy. I was talking more about the way they're treated on the various forums. Right now, many JLU fans are calling them the bad guy for charging so much for these packs; for not releasing the figures sooner; for not taking one for the team and just releasing them; etc.

The only way that fans will not treat them like the bad guy is if they release all the figures.

And that will be short-lived because then they'll be pissed that Mattel was serious when they said that these were the last JLU figures ever.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:35 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

Exactly, and then once these bomb and don't sell well, like nearly every other JLU released on Matty, people will start whining about the next figures on their list they didn't get and it will all start over again.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:17 pm 
shirtless hugger

I am happy to participate in the Custom Justice poll, but I don't understand the point of another survey. I imagine that a dozen polls would show the same results: about 70 percent of JLU fans would pay $50 for the remaining sets, give or take a certain margin of error.

Mattel has not released sales figures for the JLU figures or the magic number it needs to reach to "turn the machines back on." I respect that business decision, but we have no idea what number we are trying to reach.

Mattel has said that sales for all the JLU products sold on MattyCollector were about the same, so it has its baseline. Using the AFI poll as a basis for comparison, sales for the remaining sets would be about 70 percent of the baseline.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 5:18 pm 
Hangin' with the big boys

I do have another question actually... and maybe this has been asked before...

If the fanbase was so small, and Mattel already knew this, why would they even dangle that in front of us? Wouldn't it be obvious from the start, without the need for a poll, that this would never ever happen?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:25 pm 
Cold-cast

MoMoney wrote:
Titan Speck wrote:
And as for being the "bad guy", why should they care? If it's only a few hundred at most buyers, then what's the problem? I don't see them dangling a few more Dark Knight figures out there because they're afraid of pissing off the (probably) similarly numbered fans of that line. Crap or get off the pot Mattel. Either is fine, but other people gotta go.

I'm sure Mattel doesn't care about being the bad guy. I was talking more about the way they're treated on the various forums. Right now, many JLU fans are calling them the bad guy for charging so much for these packs; for not releasing the figures sooner; for not taking one for the team and just releasing them; etc.

The only way that fans will not treat them like the bad guy is if they release all the figures.

And that will be short-lived because then they'll be pissed that Mattel was serious when they said that these were the last JLU figures ever.

But see that's basically my point. Either way somebody is going to be unhappy and make them the bad guy. It shouldn't take an act of Congress to get a simple yes or no. As it is, they're just generating bad will. The sooner they make up their minds, the sooner (most) people will shut up and leave them alone about it.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:47 pm 
Why doesn't anyone ever listen to me?

GregNYC wrote:
I am happy to participate in the Custom Justice poll, but I don't understand the point of another survey. I imagine that a dozen polls would show the same results: about 70 percent of JLU fans would pay $50 for the remaining sets, give or take a certain margin of error.

Mattel has not released sales figures for the JLU figures or the magic number it needs to reach to "turn the machines back on." I respect that business decision, but we have no idea what number we are trying to reach.

Mattel has said that sales for all the JLU products sold on MattyCollector were about the same, so it has its baseline. Using the AFI poll as a basis for comparison, sales for the remaining sets would be about 70 percent of the baseline.

Mattel is looking for about 2000 votes, not 200. The 70% isn't totally what they're looking at. That you can vote multiple times in this new poll and since we are louder than numerous, I don't see it going anywhere.

I think the biggest mistake Mattel made was 'spreading out' the most wanted figures. That's where it went wrong.

Personally, I think they should have made the YJ toys more adaptable to the JLU style. That way we wouldn't have a problem buying a new Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman, in addition to the YJ kids. But the sculpts are just too off for me. They could have interwoven these remaining JLU's into the line. Instead the adult figures in the YJ are an easy pass.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:33 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

jzachery wrote:
Personally, I think they should have made the YJ toys more adaptable to the JLU style. That way we wouldn't have a problem buying a new Superman, Wonder Woman, and Batman, in addition to the YJ kids. But the sculpts are just too off for me. They could have interwoven these remaining JLU's into the line. Instead the adult figures in the YJ are an easy pass.

See, this is what I don't understand... How are the YJ sculpts off? They're more "on-model" to YJ than many JLU figures were to that show.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:43 pm 
categorically opposed

Jim_Abell wrote:
jzachery wrote:

See, this is what I don't understand... How are the YJ sculpts off? They're more "on-model" to YJ than many JLU figures were to that show.

They're not off-model to YJ. They're off-model to JLU.

Which is just as puzzling to me. If JLU figures didn't match up with the JLU designs perfectly, it was bad - but it would be perfectly okay for Mattel to make YJ figures off-model from the show they're based on, as long as they're on-model to JLU.

In fact, it's encouraged!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:59 pm 
Loose, Missing Package

MoMoney wrote:

Which is just as puzzling to me. If JLU figures didn't match up with the JLU designs perfectly, it was bad - but it would be perfectly okay for Mattel to make YJ figures off-model from the show they're based on, as long as they're on-model to JLU.

Yeah, that's what I was really asking...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:24 pm 

Jim_Abell wrote:
jzachery wrote:

Yeah, I should have clarified what I meant by this... Sorry. I don't mean they're off model, though their heads are a little small for their bodies, and their bodies are a little small for their height, or maybe I'm just used to the robust look of JLU. I just mean that there is something off about their appeal to me.
It's like someone that's in really good shape, decent face, but with zero sex appeal :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:29 pm 

MoMoney wrote:

Nope, still not what I meant. LOL. I don't mind the look in the cartoon, it's just when they are translated to figures, they're thinner or something. I have no problem mixing Super Powers, BTAS, STAS, etc with my JLU (excluding that Batgirl thing with the balloon head, and she is actually JLU).

I might grab a chesire and a Vandal from the YJ line, I'm not totally against it. But for the most part, the figures don't do it for me.

You can't yell at me for my action figure palate! LOL.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 3:53 am 
categorically opposed

jzachery wrote:
Nope, still not what I meant. LOL.

Sorry, misinterpreted. But this was something that was discussed here a lot before we saw the figures.

"Oh, just make them on JLU bucks! Kids don't care if their toys match up perfectly to the show."

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:00 am 
shirtless hugger

jzachery wrote:
Mattel is looking for about 2000 votes, not 200. The 70% isn't totally what they're looking at. That you can vote multiple times in this new poll and since we are louder than numerous, I don't see it going anywhere.

I think the biggest mistake Mattel made was 'spreading out' the most wanted figures. That's where it went wrong.

I understand what you're saying, that Mattel is looking for quantity. But if Mattel wants 2,000 votes, it should set up an official poll somewhere and not leave it up to various fan sites to do the work. Or set up a subscription on the Matty website.

BTW, I agree with you about YJ. They appear too long and thin, especially Superboy. I like the overall design, but not the body sculpts.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:17 am 
Aspires to be #1

What's really annoying about them is the arm thing. There are a handful of them so far that don't look like they're doing curls with invisible dumbbells and they look fantastic.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:28 am 
shirtless hugger

Quote:
What's really annoying about them is the arm thing.

I second that. It's honestly going to keep me from buying more than a few figures in this line. I want to finish the Hall of Justice, and after that I just don't care. If they change the fists, I'll probably get on board, but until then, forget it.

And, to forestall the obligatory "kids don't mind the upturned fists" statement that's sure to come up, I would argue that they do. My 9-year-old loves JLU, but thinks YJ figures look weird (and she likes the cartoon because it has "girls in it," just like she liked Teen Titans). She says "they can't fly like that," and I agree.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next