Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:40 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: TG and Mattel JLU another chance!
PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:23 am 
Wonderdog

GregNYC wrote:
I imagine that a dozen polls would show the same results: about 70 percent of JLU fans would pay $50 for the remaining sets, give or take a certain margin of error.

That's assuming that 100% of the people who responded to the poll were hardcore collectors who bought everything else, which I don't think is the case. I'd be willing to bet that if a poll was taken about about $20 3-packs at retail (and this poll probably exists somewhere, but I can't be bothered to look for it right now), you'd get the same 200-300 respondents and the same 70% responding yes. As I mentioned before, I think this poll is pretty consistent with the baseline.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 10:37 am 
3 3/4"

Can someone post the link over at Save The JLU on Facebook? I tried but it didn't show up. There are 1,400 people that like that page. If we can spread the word there and get more people to vote, we might have a shot at these figures!

Last edited by MisterMiracle on Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 11:59 am 
Collector Inspector

Done!

At first my post disappeared too, even when I hit refresh. Then I hit the "Everyone (most recent) link right under the row of pics at the top of the page. There are around 5 such posts with a link to Custom Justice.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:34 pm 
Cold-cast

I just want a GD answer one way or the other so once I get my answer I can finally just give Stew my money for the few customs I want and be done with it.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 6:50 pm 
Cold-cast

This prototype Hal Jordan from the new cartoon looks cool. Might make for some nice JLU customs...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DC-Universe-Cla ... 27c33d52f3

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:54 pm 
Damage Control

batfink wrote:
This prototype Hal Jordan from the new cartoon looks cool. Might make for some nice JLU customs...

And another for animated Atrocitous. (And some monster critter thing.) Gee, all these prototypes sure do fly in the face of what Mattel tells us about there being no plans for an animated GL line at this time. But Mattel would never lie to us, would they? :roll:

C.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:26 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

batfink wrote:

Are those arms ball-jointed?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:53 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
I want figures of GTAS, I want an actual animated Hal Jordan. Mattel make it so... I don't care how much it costs you, make the figures good quality and affordable for me, (5 bucks, no more than that.) ;)
whakojacko1976 wrote:
Are those arms ball-jointed?

Edit: Yeah they do look ball jointed... awesome, but why couldn't they do that for JLU? Curse you mattel!!! ;)

D.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:11 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

It's very possible those prototypes were made with the pitch for the animated series. What cartoon is pitched without a figure line now-a-days anyway? But not everything prototyped ever sees the light of day... perhaps what someone said was right, because of the movie and that dud line of figures no one will touch these?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:15 am 
Brand Manager

Van Statten wrote:
It's very possible those prototypes were made with the pitch for the animated series. What cartoon is pitched without a figure line now-a-days anyway? But not everything prototyped ever see the light of day...

Exactly!!! The best thing Mattel can do is make sure none of the following prototypes sees the light of day! After all, for a company like Mattel, figures like:

1. Toyman
    2. Mongul
    3. Blue Beetle
    4. Guy Gardner
    5. Vandal Savage
    6. Hereafter Superman
    7. Static
    8. Micron
    9. Aquagirl
    10. Firefly
    11. Dr. Destiny
    12. Zilius Zox
    13. Kilowog
    14. Hal Jordan
    15. Atrocitus

...are practically chump change. Now a scythe?!?!? A scythe is a different story my friend. With a scythe we are talking serious money!
Serious Money!!!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:04 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

Van Statten wrote:
It's very possible those prototypes were made with the pitch for the animated series. What cartoon is pitched without a figure line now-a-days anyway? But not everything prototyped ever sees the light of day... perhaps what someone said was right, because of the movie and that dud line of figures no one will touch these?

If they were prototypes for a line pitch they would be internal first-shots from low-yield molds that were to be hand-painted. These wouldn't show up from a Hong Kong/Chinese seller. The first shots on eBay are from steel molds tooled for factory production, so they would have to have been given the green light from the manufacturer (Mattel) to turn the machines on for factory-made mold tests or painted loose & packaged samples.

The line is definitely farther along than Mattel would like people to believe. Production has probably started, but not to a point where they have to mass-produce to fill retailer orders (because there probably are none).

Peace,

Chip

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:39 am 
The Katepánō with Atomic Breath

/\ What Chip said. They got far enough along in the process to tool the molds. Again, just like JLU figures like Toyman, it's possible that retail support shriveled up, and like many, many other toys in the past, these may or may not ever see the light of day.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:57 am 
Killer Moth Fanatic

Quote:
it's possible that retail support shriveled up

I'd say that's almost a certainty, considering the amount of GL product rotting on the pegs at every retail store. I'd be surprised if anybody even considered a GL toy for the next decade. That's how long we'll be finding Kilowogs at closeout stores.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:37 am 
5" Scale

If I was target/walmart/TRU, I wouldnt touch a GL line with a 10 foot pole.

at least not with all the GL stuff they still have on the shelf.

Its sad b/c I would have loved to see this line, oh well.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:45 am 
active in the community

Talk about amazing prototypes! I would definitely start collecting those, but sadly as many have said it might not make the light of day. Those guys at Mattel must have been idiots to be thinking Green Lantern was going to be a success. No one knows who Green Lantern is and not a lot of people like the color Green. Shouldn't that be a warning from the get-go?!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next