Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:22 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: JLU is officially dead. (for now)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:52 am 
Aspires to be #1

I think their best chance at making this happen is to get the DC nation tag on there so they can tie it into the Cartoon Network programming block and then use that line to release things from GL TAS (which obviously stores don't want on it's own), JLU, Teen Titans, and most importantly, ANY of their animated movies they've been releasing. If they would plan a few toys for each movie and release them with the movie then they could see if they're a hit or a flop. If they sell well, they can make more for the movie and if they don't then move on to the next movie.

It would certainly address demand for movie figures and GL TAS figures that have popped up and give them a chance to sneak out the missing JLU and possibly even make more.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:13 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

I'm no JLU fan but even I have to admit the whole let DCD handle it seems like a viable option. Well other than getting DCD to want it. I'm sure if they could be persuaded to want the line wheels could be greased with Mattel to release a defunct line or even share in the profits some.

I read all these posts and opinion and what I get is this... the line didn't go over well with the general child public... it has a niche cult fan base of people who rattle enough pots and pans they can keep the line going on what seems like scraps. Which is not knocking anything... that's down right amazing.

The DC Nation idea also holds merit but a DC Nation line would need to take off on its own before it can incorporate what alreeady has been deemed an Underdog in the toy aisle.

The DC properties at least to me seem too spread thin. The 6", 3 3/4", Imagine Next, Action League, JLU (which includes all animated series for sake of argument)

If they could find 2 or 3 avenues to focus on it could make things better than all these lines and various budgets. I don't want to see 6" go away... and I may not care for 3 3/4" but I want to see a decent DC 3 3/4" figure... and Imagine Next I promote anything which introduces children to the superheroes!

Of course someone will be left out in the cold, not everyone can be kept happy. I just feel it would be best to let JLU be alone for now and return to it once DC has has some success with a toyline.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:38 am 
Aspires to be #1

Why would DCD want it? They started with it and let it go.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:52 am 
Disney is not his cup of tea

j1h15233 wrote:

Dude I have no frigging clue but evidently Mattel wants nothing to do with it and it's been mentioned several times already to let DC Direct get their hands on it. So why not? It's no different then asking Mattel to give something a third chance or so?

It's all conjecture... one idea is no better than the other at this point. And it has to be gut wrenching to know that these figures are just sitting somewhere, waiting to be mass produced and polish off many collections. It's the same feeling I get with television when a series ends yet there was so much more written and left unproduced; like the second season of Captain Power or the second season of the Silver surfer.

And I've never seen a DCD JLU figure, did they look like the Mattel line and animation?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:59 am 
Cold-cast

j1h15233 wrote:

Actually, DCD created the sculpts of the original 7, and Mattel attained the exclusive rights to produce them under a contractual agreement with Warner Brothers. DCD didn't just say, "these things suck, let's give it to Mattel." This was Warner Brother's decision, and DCD got the shaft. Probably because Mattel had a better capability to produce JLU on a much wider scale.

However; now that the line is dead, DCD would be a great choice to get the unreleased figures out. This is DCD's specialty. Producing figures, based on an artist's style, at a lower run to a niche group of fans. Maybe Mattel could sell the molds to DCD? Probably will never happen, unfortunately.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:52 am 
shirtless hugger

For some reason I see it being 2020 and this thread still getting bumped with ideas to get these figures out there.

Toyguru said this about Red Ricky's idea:

"As for your idea, yes it is a cool idea, but we aren't working on anything like that at this time."

So they aren't even considering a DC Nations line right now. That's about the only way I see these figures getting released and it seems (to me at least) that's about a less than 10% shot, give or take 10%.

I say grab a Stew casting while they are available. (No I am not being paid by Stew to say this :wink: )

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:00 am 
categorically opposed

j1h15233 wrote:

Not exactly the way it went, but you're basically right.

DC Direct only wants to produce toys of the "current" and the "now"...or a rehash of the same Superman we've seen seventeen times before with a new paint job.

They've gone crazy with Green Lantern, Arkham City, and New 52 figures. No way are they going to make a line where, not only have all the principle characters been released, but was shelved due to dwindling sales, based on the fact that its property has been dead for over five years.

That goes against DCD's most recent business model.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:50 am 
Brand Manager

bat313 wrote:
For some reason I see it being 2020 and this thread still getting bumped with ideas to get these figures out there.

As long as Bruce Timm makes DC Universe Cartoons. And the art direction continuous to reflect his style. And Mattel keeps both the DC license and the tooling... There'll be a chance for these "un-produced" figures to get released.

And if the ratings on Green Lantern: TAS & DC Nation end up being decent... then who knows... we might end up getting Hal Jordan, Guy Gardner, Mongul and even Vandal Savage.

Hey, if the Secret Saturdays eventually got their own toy line...

bat313 wrote:
Toyguru said this about Red Ricky's idea:

"As for your idea, yes it is a cool idea, but we aren't working on anything like that at this time."

So they aren't even considering a DC Nations line right now. That's about the only way I see these figures getting released and it seems (to me at least) that's about a less than 10% shot, give or take 10%.

At least Toy Guru is aware of the idea. And that's all I really wanted. So for me, that's a win.

Plus, when they say they are not considering it right now... it probably means that things are on a holding pattern regarding their direction with regards to the DC Animated Block. It could very well mean that they are still waiting to see how Green Lantern:TAS does, ratings wise. If the series is a hit, I'm sure the idea for a dedicated Green Lantern toy line will resurface and retailers might reconsider. If it isn't, it's good to know that Toy Guru is aware of the DC Nation idea and would "consider considering it".

Besides, as a Batman fan you know that things can change over time.

I mean, back in 2009, the Prototype Batman Suit action figure from the TDK Movie Masters line was a Mattycollector Exclusive. And its performance was so poor that fans of the line had lost hope of ever seeing the Honor Guard Joker figure. Then two years later... BOOM!

You can buy both figures at any store!

And let's be honest... if you'd asked Toy Guru back in 2009, what the chances of getting the Honor Guard Joker figure were... what do you think his answer would've been? My guess? "We are not considering it right now. The Dark Knight Movie Masters Line has a loyal following, but sadly, the numbers are not there for us to continue offering this line."

Then again, that's just my take.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:09 pm 
Killer Moth Fanatic

This isn't a knock against the DC Animation guys and gals, who are awesome obviously, but I don't see GL:TAS becoming a huge hit. The public has seen TONS of Green Lantern stuff in the past few years, from multiple events in the comics heavily featuring GLs, to what...three animated DTVs? Plus the major theatrical release and tie-in toys...

If folks were super interested in the GL Corps, I think we'd have seen or felt it by now. I definitely think the public knows much more about Green Lantern now, but I don't think they're clamouring for more. If anything this GL series will have a bit of an uphill battle because people are tired of seeing/hearing about this corner of the comic's world.

To bring that back to these toys, the BEST I could see Mattel doing at this point (given Toyguru's comments on how the response wasn't great enough) is MAYBE releasing one three pack at SDCC to say "Here, you're not getting ALL the unreleased figures, but since you wanted character X so badly..."

The big question is which three pack would they give us, if it's only one. My guess would be either the Toyman pack or the JLU Beyond pack.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 12:55 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I'd agree that the best thing for Timmverse style is for GL:TAS to be a hit. It could be and wouldn't surprise me at all if it was. CN is really pushing it right now it seems and aren't that and YJ the only 2 DC cartoons right now? I think that is the best chance to see these figures.

What DC needs is a Justice League movie then we get JL:TAS again :D The Marvel/Hasbro template is working just fine with Avengers, get it done WB/Mattel as soon as your DK trilogy is done.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:17 pm 
Brand Manager

DisneyBoy wrote:
I don't see GL:TAS becoming a huge hit.

That's okay. I don't see it being a "huge" hit, either. But just like Hasbro and the Iron Man CGI, Mattel might be waiting to see if it's "good enough" to interest retailers. If it's not, then they might reconsider the DC Nation/Animated Legacy idea and/or something similar to the Voltron stuff.

Time will tell.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 1:45 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

red Ricky wrote:

Steve the Target P.A.:

I liked him better when he was a Pirate-- :mrgreen:

If you can dodge a wrench...

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 2:02 pm 
Brand Manager

stewbacca wrote:
red Ricky wrote:

Steve the Target P.A.:

I liked him better when he was a Pirate-- :mrgreen:

If you can dodge a wrench...

The guy has to work. :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 3:08 pm 
my tummy itches

That would have been cool is GL:TAS had john stewart and was in timmverse style. It looks way too updated for me. If they are going to release at least one three pack unfortunately for toyman fans it would be the future jlu pack. They would say " oh that has three new figures and took us the most time." when they are rally saying oh, 3 new figures in a three pack. That will make us look great!

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 4:40 pm 
Wind him up, let him go

I'm wondering if they're ever going to sell off the unpurchased 3 packs and 7 pack for a discount like they did with all the previous packs before Christmas? Cause we all know they're not "sold out"..If they were, that would make them a sucess, no? lol

I also don't see why making a limited number would cost that much? If you double your money, that's plenty of profit, and even if they only made 1000, I can't fathom how EACH pack would have $50 worth of man hours and material in it. The sculpts are already done. Plus, they can reuse previous bucks. Are the designers making THAT much money?

AD&D wants-Mettaflame, Hawkler, Ogre King SS, Tiamat and Book of Spells accessory

Madballs Headpopper wants-Oculous Orb and Dustbrain

M.U.S.C.L.E figures

Have to trade=$.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next