Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:26 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
 Post subject: Re: JLU is officially dead. (for now)
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:07 pm 
Cold-cast

ian5555 wrote:
What DC needs is a Justice League movie then we get JL:TAS again :D The Marvel/Hasbro template is working just fine with Avengers, get it done WB/Mattel as soon as your DK trilogy is done.

Yes there needs to be a Justice League movie. But there won't be one anytime soon. Or at least one worth watching. By the time they're ready to do that, Marvel will probably have the X-Men rights back.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:18 pm 
Kool Moe Dee

I think it's safe to say whatever spark/hope/want/poll/DCNation that may exist, there is not going to be any JLU in 2012.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 5:31 am 
categorically opposed

else3573 wrote:
I also don't see why making a limited number would cost that much? If you double your money, that's plenty of profit, and even if they only made 1000, I can't fathom how EACH pack would have $50 worth of man hours and material in it. The sculpts are already done. Plus, they can reuse previous bucks. Are the designers making THAT much money?

Do you have any idea how limited 1000 units would be?

Plus, we don't know what kind of profit management would require. Maybe they won't take a hit on profit. Maybe they're telling them that they cannot possibly go into production on these packs unless they're able to turn out a profit of $100,000 or something. The time that they devote to producing these items in a factory could be put toward producing items that actually sell and make an easy buck for the company. Part of the cost they're suggesting is the line time that they have to buy/secure. Line time is more expensive for something that's not mass produced.

The opportunity cost of producing a niche item in super limited quantities that may or may not sell over producing an item that is going to all major retailers is a ton of lost sales.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:52 pm 
Wind him up, let him go

I was just throwing it out there, I never worked at a toy factory..However, I know they're manufactured in China, where the line workers make like $60 a month...And like I said, that's how much profit they CHOOSE to make. To me, a 100% return is a decent profit margin. In any event, it's not something I want to get into an argument about, there far too much of that in here already. Some people take this stuff ULTRA serious, I just love toys. :)

AD&D wants-Mettaflame, Hawkler, Ogre King SS, Tiamat and Book of Spells accessory

Madballs Headpopper wants-Oculous Orb and Dustbrain

M.U.S.C.L.E figures

Have to trade=$.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:00 pm 
serves the Otter

Location: Planet Reach, Coolsville, Metropolis, or Crystal Cove. It depends on the day.
MoMoney wrote:
else3573 wrote:
I also don't see why making a limited number would cost that much? If you double your money, that's plenty of profit, and even if they only made 1000, I can't fathom how EACH pack would have $50 worth of man hours and material in it. The sculpts are already done. Plus, they can reuse previous bucks. Are the designers making THAT much money?

Do you have any idea how limited 1000 units would be?

Plus, we don't know what kind of profit management would require. Maybe they won't take a hit on profit. Maybe they're telling them that they cannot possibly go into production on these packs unless they're able to turn out a profit of $100,000 or something. The time that they devote to producing these items in a factory could be put toward producing items that actually sell and make an easy buck for the company. Part of the cost they're suggesting is the line time that they have to buy/secure. Line time is more expensive for something that's not mass produced.

The opportunity cost of producing a niche item in super limited quantities that may or may not sell over producing an item that is going to all major retailers is a ton of lost sales.

But wait, Mattel has made 1000 piece Con exclusive figures in the past, why can't they do it for JLU? ;) totally J/K BTW, I just had to throw that out there, lol. :)

D.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:06 pm 
my tummy itches

I hate to say it but buy the rare figures now before Mattel " officially " announces that jlu is done. Then eBay sellers will sell a crimson fox for 300$. And same with the unreleased figures. Unless we get at least 1500 votes at cj don't expect to see or hear anything jlu ever again. They feel that's " out of their way ".

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:09 pm 
there were horses, and a man on fire, and I killed a guy with a trident

Kalibakvunderbarr wrote:
I hate to say it but buy the rare figures now before Mattel " officially " announces that jlu is done. Then eBay sellers will sell a crimson fox for 300$. And same with the unreleased figures. Unless we get at least 1500 votes at cj don't expect to see or hear anything jlu ever again. They feel that's " out of their way ".

I wouldn't go as far to say that Crimson Fox will sell for $300 but you do have a point. I'm sure the prices will rise as figures get rarer and rarer and since the JLU line is pretty much officially dead.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:03 pm 
my tummy itches

It was an exaggeration. But you get my point. Volcana prices will sky rocket. Same with the 2 rare six pack exclusive figures and barda. And if a genuine unreleased figure comes out then boom. So save your money now so your collection becomes complete.

Jlu needs: Question 3 pack,MOC Grundy,Star Sapphire single, Barda, MOC tnba wildcard joker, go final 3 packs! Plus I need any TNBA figures. P.S. Why did it take me four days to find this signature change?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:11 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

I regret not getting that Mongul I saw on ebay now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:00 pm 
Former King of Posts

Kalibakvunderbarr wrote:
So save your money now so your collection becomes complete.

Or live within your means and don't care about the figures that were never easy to find / obtain. Completeness at any cost is for fanatics.

I gave up being a completist after Toy Biz put out the 5th Wolverine in their XMen line. I really only needed one. With JLU it was after the line became too hard to find at retail.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 7:06 pm 
Disney is not his cup of tea

superfriend wrote:
Or live within your means and don't care about the figures that were never easy to find / obtain. Completeness at any cost is for fanatics.

You can complete any collection and live within your means... just have patience. I own everything Character Options has put out for Doctor Who... mind you that is not an easy task for an American, at least not an easy task and still eat at the end of the week. I scower Ebay and found random lots.

I see random lots of Super Powers... eventually there will be random lots of JLU, I even bet one day you'll find a random lot with Volcana and score it all cheap!

Patience is indeed the virtue of the collector.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:06 pm 
shirtless hugger

superfriend wrote:
Kalibakvunderbarr wrote:
So save your money now so your collection becomes complete.

I gave up being a completist after Toy Biz put out the 5th Wolverine in their XMen line. I really only needed one. With JLU it was after the line became too hard to find at retail.

Agreed, I actually believe the apposite of most people here and think in 5 to 6 years all JLU figs will be selling for cheap on eBay. I think they are at their peak now, at the end of the line, and have nowhere to go but down. These won't be some rare figures 30 years from now like the original Star Wars toys. Collectors today collect double and triple of everything. Just give it time.

Oh yeah, and GO GIANTS!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:08 pm 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I'm going to give a pro-tip on how to collect action figures online.

Buy lots that have some figures you need and then sell the rest in singles and you'll most likely even make money.

I got my complete 80's Gi Joe and Transformer lines for free by buying lots and keeping only the figures I need. I'm dumping alot of stuff now as I have decided to collect MOC/MIB stuff except for some TFs, JLU and Gi Joe. Just got to be too much stuff.

I'd expect if anything prices will go down on JLU as people will stop collecting the line and alot of people will get out. I don't see the line being a Super Power type line in 20 years either as it just didn't seem to get the kids into it.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:46 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

It only takes two to drive up an eBay auction. :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:53 am 
Aspires to be #1

ian5555 wrote:
I'm going to give a pro-tip on how to collect action figures online.

Buy lots that have some figures you need and then sell the rest in singles and you'll most likely even make money.

I got my complete 80's Gi Joe and Transformer lines for free by buying lots and keeping only the figures I need. I'm dumping alot of stuff now as I have decided to collect MOC/MIB stuff except for some TFs, JLU and Gi Joe. Just got to be too much stuff.

I'd expect if anything prices will go down on JLU as people will stop collecting the line and alot of people will get out. I don't see the line being a Super Power type line in 20 years either as it just didn't seem to get the kids into it.

I don't think anything will ever top Super Powers simply because there are so few of them. I do think JLU and DCUC will go for some pretty high prices one day but nothing like Super Powers (and this coming from someone who doesn't like those). It's easier to collect a line that had 30 something figures, instead of 200.

Post new topic This topic is locked, you cannot edit posts or make further replies.  [ 244 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next