Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: TG and Mattel JLU another chance!
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:54 am 
Aspires to be #1

Green Lantern should have been a success but Hollywood always thinks they can do it better. They don't really have decades of stories already written for them so they usually have to make up their own. The saddest part, is that Johns was big time involved in this movie and kept tweeting about how great it was. I'm not sure he read that script.

Just in case someone still wants to watch the movie

Spoiler: show
I'm also not sure how you have a yellow lantern corps with no fear entity...you know since they threw him at the sun

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:58 am 
Hangin' with the big boys

Let's not get into how badly they messed up that movie, especially with the (probable) trickle down effect it has had on the tv show toyline. The sad thing is how much they got right and STILL made a bad movie.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 7:19 am 
Damn you, Autocorrect!

I'm sure the prototypes were made so they could jump right in with a line based on the upcoming cartoon IF the movie and figures were successful. They weren't so they probably decided to take a "let's wait and see" if the cartoon is a hit. If the kids are into the cartoon and want toys the line goes forward. I'm sure they could care less if collectors want these and they really shouldn't care. We're just bonus sales really.

"AFI is my home for JLU" Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:55 am 
Knows his stuff

red Ricky wrote:
The best thing Mattel can do is make sure none of the following prototypes sees the light of day! After all, for a company like Mattel, figures like:

1. Toyman
    2. Mongul
    3. Blue Beetle
    4. Guy Gardner
    5. Vandal Savage
    6. Hereafter Superman
    7. Static
    8. Micron
    9. Aquagirl
    10. Firefly
    11. Dr. Destiny
    12. Zilius Zox
    13. Kilowog
    14. Hal Jordan
    15. Atrocitus

...are practically chump change. Now a scythe?!?!? A scythe is a different story my friend. With a scythe we are talking serious money!
Serious Money!!!

Yes, I did laugh out loud at this comment. It kinda reminds me of an episode of Superfriends, when the Legion of Doom tried to make Earth's temperature like Venus', and Sinestro launched some missiles at the Earth to trick Hal Jordan into moving the Earth closer to the sun:

Hal Jordan: "Now I don't have the ability to stop these little missiles, because my ring doesn't work on anything yellow. But what I do have the ability to do is take a planet that weighs 6.6 sextillion short tons, and effortlessly move it far enough out of the way to let the missiles harmlessly fly by it!"

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:33 am 
Cold-cast

I'm guessing that we will see these GL Animated figures at NY Toy Fair. Last year, around this time, there were JLU eBay leaks galore right before NYTF. I'm surprised that there have not been more leaks this year.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:48 am 
Aspires to be #1

batfink wrote:
I'm guessing that we will see these GL Animated figures at NY Toy Fair. Last year, around this time, there were JLU eBay leaks galore right before NYTF. I'm surprised that there have not been more leaks this year.

That's because they don't have much to show.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:06 am 
Brand Manager

jamiwa3 wrote:
red Ricky wrote:
The best thing Mattel can do is make sure none of the following prototypes sees the light of day! After all, for a company like Mattel, figures ...are practically chump change. Now a scythe?!?!? A scythe is a different story my friend. With a scythe we are talking serious money!
Serious Money!!!

Yes, I did laugh out loud at this comment. It kinda reminds me of an episode of Superfriends, when the Legion of Doom tried to make Earth's temperature like Venus', and Sinestro launched some missiles at the Earth to trick Hal Jordan into moving the Earth closer to the sun.

Now that you mention it, Mattel does remind me of The Legion of Doom!!! I mean...

They know the Super-Friends Secret Identities!

They can travel through time!

But you know... Instead of telling the world who Green Lantern is... Or blowing Baby Kal-El's Spaceship to smithereens...

We sometimes get a situation similar to this!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:11 am 
Kool Moe Dee

ian5555 wrote:
I'm sure the prototypes were made so they could jump right in with a line based on the upcoming cartoon IF the movie and figures were successful. They weren't so they probably decided to take a "let's wait and see" if the cartoon is a hit. If the kids are into the cartoon and want toys the line goes forward. I'm sure they could care less if collectors want these and they really shouldn't care. We're just bonus sales really.

I've heard that only 24 episodes of Green Lantern were ordered, it would have to be a MONSTER hit for them to consider making more episodes, never mind toys.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:01 pm 
Brand Manager

vancleef9000 wrote:
ian5555 wrote:

I've heard that only 24 episodes of Green Lantern were ordered, it would have to be a MONSTER hit for them to consider making more episodes, never mind toys.

Actually, it's 26 episodes. And that's the norm for Cartoons. Justice League Unlimited had an initial order of 26 episodes with the last one being Epilogue. Cartoon Network liked it and ordered 13 more. So the last one ended up being Destroyer.

With Young Justice, you also have an initial order of 26 Episodes. And Young Justice: Invasion which will end up being the second (or third) season of the show, depending on how you look at things, will consist of 10 more episodes.

So basically... it all depends. But that initial episode "order number" is par for the course and doesn't really say much. Basically, when it comes to cartoons, Cartoon Network already knows that they can rerun them ad nauseum; and kids won't mind. They'll watch the same episodes over and over and over and over...

Frankly, I'm surprised Brave and the Bold lasted for as long as it did.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:24 pm 
active in the community

red Ricky wrote:
With Young Justice, you also have an initial order of 26 Episodes. And Young Justice: Invasion which will end up being the second (or third) season of the show, depending on how you look at things, will consist of 10 more episodes.

Young Justice: Invasion (aka the second season) has long since been expanded into a full 20 episode season, bringing the show's total up to at least 46. Considering most animated shows shoot for the magic 65 episodes for syndication, Cartoon Network will likely continue Young Justice past its first two seasons.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:17 pm 
Mattel Mogul

batfink wrote:

To manage expectations, I can assure you we are not showing GL Animated product at NYTF as there is not GLA line planned for 2012. Concept figures and prelim design work have a way of leaking out illegally though ebay and it is a shame as it throws off fan expectations. But I assure fans there is no GL animated line coming from Mattel.

Until you hear an offical announcement from Mattel, ebay leaks are not the place to go for any info on upcoming lines. tons of product goes into preproduction that does not get released (just look a the JLU Firefly fig). When Mattel announces something it is worth getting excited about. When something leaks on ebay, it only serves to confuse and muddle info.

There is no GL Animated toy line from Mattel.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:38 pm 
Resin

ToyGuru wrote:

Well, that's disappointing...

Toy Guru: Is there any chance of a GLA line happening in the distant future (should the show do well), or is this "dead in the water, no chance, period."?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:43 pm 
Mattel Mogul

Derby wrote:
ToyGuru wrote:

Well, that's disappointing...

Toy Guru: Is there any chance of a GLA line happening in the distant future (should the show do well), or is this "dead in the water, no chance, period."?

Never say never. It all depends on how the show performs (beyond the 1 hour premier special in Nov) and what retailer interest is. But there is no GLA line planned for 2012.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:58 pm 
Corporate Spin Monkey

Toy Guru, have the chances of the unreleased JLU figures making it out at the $50 price tag you suggested got any closer to being a possibility, what with the new polls that have gone up on toy sites?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:00 pm 
Brand Manager

Decided not to beat a dead horse. By now everybody knows that Mattel has 15 unproduced figures in the Bruce Timm style.

Everybody also knows that they can always try to create/pitch an Animated Classics Line, or a DC Nation Line, or simply release some of these figures as part of their other Legacy Lines (like for instance, sending Mongul, Hereafter Superman, Toyman and Vandal Savage to the upcoming Superman Legacy line.) In the end, it is their perogative to keep the figures "unproduced".

But that doesn't mean they don't have other options.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 98 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next