Home Forum Columns Galleries Archives About

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours

Post subject: Re: Lego Minifigs Series 6
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:52 pm 
Still ahead of Mudd

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
hmm ... thought I had posted this already but apparently not.

You accidently posted it in the DC thread

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:54 am 
Shudders at the Thought of Swamp-Crotch Chafing

Thanks.

Found it and edited it.

Still happy to have an almost complete set... :wink:

Couldn't have said it better myself.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:30 am 

These are out at Target now as well.

Spotted them on the endcap sidecar that they've been using since wave 4.
$2.99 perpack.

Happy squeezing everyone.

(p.s. I still need Space Girl if anyone has extras to trade and now I've got an additional Highlander)

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:09 am 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

So what's the deal with collecting these things? Blind-bagged, but you can still tell what figures are in the bags?

They're $3.49 each or thereabouts?

Might want to pick some up for April, but am green as far as this type of collecting.

Peace,

Chip

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:23 am 

Yeah, they are blindbagged figures.

Target and Walmart generally sell them for $2.99 each. TRU is $3.49.

Each baggie has a "dot code" in the bottom seal of the bag. They are subtle and getting harder to read with each successive series. You can usually find a decoder for the dots at itsalltrue.net but I don't know if they put up a Series 6 decoder yet.

Generally, most of us have fallen back on the "squeeze the baggie until you come across a part your fingers can recognize". Some people, like SpyMonkey from what Daniel says, are almost 99% accurate. Others, like me, are closer to about 75-80% accurate. Others just don't care, grab a handful and hope for the best.

Ebay is a real good source for these if you don't want to go through the hassle of trying to get just the right one ...

Also, it is good to note, that older series are impossible to find at retail except in specialty stores for a huge markup. Once the new series gets released, all older figures disappear. Wave 5 is still lingering in some areas, but even the 10 or so cases that were put out post christmas and before wave 6 hit are now down to a single not-quite-full case on an endcap gravity dump.

Hope that helps.

They are addictive. Be careful if you are thinking about getting in.

I've got some extras from each of the series (except series 1 which I am still missing) if you decide to take the plunge.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:40 am 
'The Barf' does not annoy him

I've been on again, off again with these. I still buy a few here and there. I'm keeping my collector mania in check by simply buying only the Space-based ones for now. I managed to get the Gray Alien today. By my count, that leaves seven other Space minfigures from all six series so far.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:56 am 

Scored a Series 6 Space Girl on ebay today for $3.80 shipped!

And now Series 6 is complete and I'm back to hunting for a decently priced set of series 1 and waiting for the release of series 7... :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:05 pm 
Super Amigo Fantastico!

bnjmnrlyr wrote:
I've got some extras from each of the series (except series 1 which I am still missing) if you decide to take the plunge.

Sent you a PM, my friend!

Peace,

Chip

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:46 am 
Cold-cast

I believe the supply of minifigures has increased to the point where there is now almost a glut.

I have been following the minifigures since the beginning, and at one point had over 100 of series 2. It seemed like with the first few series they sold out very quickly, and it was hard to see them in stores at all. But with these recent series of 5 and 6 that I've seen, they're all over the place: Barnes & Noble, Wal-Mart, Target, Walgreens, and TRU even has a big plastic gravity feed for them now. I run into them without even trying.

I also see that a lot of the series 5 figures are still left even with series 6 already in stores. This is a significant departure from the quick sell-outs the first few series had. I wonder just how much longer the minifigure craze can continue. It started out as kind of a niche novelty thing and now it's inflated into a huge bubble.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:37 am 
Wonderdog

JamesTheRogue wrote:
I believe the supply of minifigures has increased to the point where there is now almost a glut.

I have been following the minifigures since the beginning, and at one point had over 100 of series 2. It seemed like with the first few series they sold out very quickly, and it was hard to see them in stores at all. But with these recent series of 5 and 6 that I've seen, they're all over the place: Barnes & Noble, Wal-Mart, Target, Walgreens, and TRU even has a big plastic gravity feed for them now. I run into them without even trying.

I also see that a lot of the series 5 figures are still left even with series 6 already in stores. This is a significant departure from the quick sell-outs the first few series had. I wonder just how much longer the minifigure craze can continue. It started out as kind of a niche novelty thing and now it's inflated into a huge bubble.

Yeah, my TRU store has three full boxes of Series 5 sitting at the counter next to the almost-always-nearly-empty Series 6 box. As for the future of the minifigures, I think as long as Lego keeps up the same level of clever innovation with their figure choices, there will be demand. I'm really glad to see them becoming much more available as the word gets out and their popularity grows. I've seen people look at the displays and say things like, "Oh, I have GOT to get that little surgeon for my doctor!" I look back at the choices Lego has made, and they're geniuses. I mean, the panicky HazMat Guy? A freaking MINOTAUR? There's always something for just about everybody in every wave.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 10:16 am 

Bought three more today. I thought I had decoded/feeled them out correctly. However, I was one for three, as I only succeeded in finding the Clockwork Robot. I failed with the other two: I found a second Classic Alien(the Gray) and a Skater Chick.

Anyone interested in a Classic Alien or the Skater Chickie? Or should this be taken to the Swap Meet? PM me anyway. Oh, I would trade for the Space Gal or Lady Liberty if anyone was up for it.

Series 5 is quite plentiful. I chalked it up to retailers finally ordering a more than decent share. But I don't see Series 6 clogging up anywhere just yet. I hope a happy medium is found between oversaturation and underordering.

'...because the minute a little girl is trampled by 100 teenage girls trying to get to Justin Beiber at the Tea Cups, you will be wondering why the hell we make poor Justin Beiber stand in a 30 minute line and create an unsafe atmosphere.'

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 11:12 pm 
Tis' but a pup

Quick question. My son I just getting into Legos and Ive been reading these threads about the minifigs but can't find them at TRU in the Lego section, not even a box display. Are they located somewhere else in the store? Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:29 am 

vriverajr3 wrote:
Quick question. My son I just getting into Legos and Ive been reading these threads about the minifigs but can't find them at TRU in the Lego section, not even a box display. Are they located somewhere else in the store? Thanks

These usually are in a smallish box display. Sometimes, if they sell out, the box is taken away, so you would have no idea that they were even there in the first place. If someone here had the TRU item number(I do not, unfortunately) you could always ask your TRU to search their system for any on-hand stock.

Maybe they are hanging on the impulse buy sections near the checkout lanes?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:34 am 

the stores in my area used to keep them behind the Service desk counter and you had to specifically ask for them. They claimed it was to prevent theft.

Lately though, they have either put the boxes out (usually 6-10) at a time on and endcap in the Lego section, or as a side cap gravity feed on an endcap in the Lego section.

Target has put these just about anywhere they can find space. Sometimes in the seasonal section as a stocking/easter basket/halloween stuffer type item. Sometimes in the shipping case on the shelves with other Legos. Sometimes on pegs on the side of an endcap on any open aisle in the toy department.

Walmart is much the same as Target as they will just drop them wherever they happen to have space for them.

My best recommendation would be for you to just find a service desk employee or a manager and ask them where they are located.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 1:05 pm 
Daniel Pickett

Abby and I went down to Coronado (the island off of San Diego) to visit some of her friends and I stopped in the "Fuzziwigs" candy store and they had series 4,5 and 6 of the Lego minifigures... and there is a girl that works there that feels all of the packages to figure out which character is which and then they mark the package with a number 1-16 and hang up a key so you can just walk in and find the ones you need! There were 5 that I still needed in series 6 and I was able to flip through and find all of them. They are $3.50 each there, but that was worth it to me to not have to stand there and feel 40 tiny baggies. She was 5 for 5 accurate with the ones I bought!